Oil Catch Can Necessary For 1.5L Turbo?

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Totally UN-needed frill. Otherwise, Honda would have included it with provision to drain back to crankcase or to a maintenance reservoir..
Wrong.. honda doesnt have it because their dealer service simple never fix anything, whenever there is a problem, they just diagnose and swap the parts for entire new parts.
The oil if not catched in the oil can, it goes back to engine and slowly build up inside which affect performance down the years.. which is exactly what honda wants .. if your car last forever, who would feel need to switch for a new car?
When they build or design car nowadays. They dont meant to build it to last for decade anymore.
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
It's a bit more complicated than that lol.

Honda engineers their powertrains to go 260-300K, depending on the configuration. The problem with catch cans is that they require frequent maintenance later down the road; especially as the rings wear in and blowby increases. In extreme cases, the interval can be as frequent as every 2K. Way too often for the Average Joe.

Honda has traditionally been pretty good at limiting deposits throughout the service life of their engines. And while I don't expect the 1.5/2.0 to be any different, we will simply have to wait and see how things hold up. So far, the evidence suggests that Honda did their homework. :cool:

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Just steam clean the motor with water/meth at high boost ;)

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I agree with you. I brought mine at 2000 miles and now 18500 and I have to empty it every 2 weeks. This will not good your warrnty.

20180102_132341.jpg
Is yours tuned for higher boost? I ask because maybe that would cause more blow-by therefore seeing more oil in the catch can compared to others that may be stock and only noticing a small amount. Just a thought. Because I want to get one for my girlfriends car since hers only has 8,000 miles now but is completely stock and plan to keep hers that way except for the catch can if I decide to install one

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
That looks mostly like water and fuel. Which is common in cold climates. Condensation and/or fuel from cold starts gets burned off at operating temps and siphoned through the PCV to the OCC. I would not expect to see nearly that much on warm days, on a young healthy motor.

In theory, disabling rev hang could lead to more pressure variances in the crankcase. That in turn can cause additional oil vapor/droplets to circulate and get rerouted through the PCV. But to date, no one has specifically tested for that (outside of the auto manufacturers themselves). A high stability oil should help mitigate this condition.

aaron.fc3

First Name
Aaron Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hey @fijizzle, figured I'd step in!

There are some crucial benefits to having an oil catch can, especially on boosted applications. In port injected engines, the valves get sprayed with a mixture of fuel and air so they, in a sense, get cleaned moreso than a direct injection engine would. With modern direct injection engines, the fuel injector is placed right inside the combustion chamber, and the fuel does not reach the valves in a way that port injection does - port injection places injectors inside the intake manifold.

Because of this, oil and fuel vapors that get vented into the intake via positive crankcase ventilation and crankcase ventilation valves – the PCV and CCV systems. For emissions reasons, these vapors get routed back into the intake, but that is not where those vapors should end up, as they hinder performance and cause buildup. To combat this, catch cans filter out all of that recirculated fuel/oil/air mixture that makes it's way back into the engine and intake. This is definitely more of a powerful preventative maintenance measure over a performance mod.

Also, with respect to warranties - installation of a catch can will not void your vehicle warranty. The only potential negative effect would be denial of a particular warranty claim (such as a repair). In this case, the dealer would need to prove the catch can was a direct contributor to the warranty concern. Assuming the catch can is properly installed, you should not have any issues!

If you'd like to get some more detailed informaiton, here's the link to one of the posts in our development thread outlining exactly what our catch can does differently than any other one on the market. Check it out http://www.civicx.com/threads/mishimoto’s-2016-honda-civic-1-5l-turbo-catch-can-development.2745/#post-44349

We also have an awesome features and benefits video!

I hope this helps you and everyone else thinking about getting a catch can. We have an awesome direct fit option!
I have a PRL flex fuel kit, will the catch can fit with it?

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Did you find a response for that question im curious also.
Me too - I was about to post a thread about it until I saw this. I already have the mishimoto oil catch can installed, but my flex fuel kit gets here at the end of this month. I want to ensure I don’t have to get rid of the catch can, but the placement of the flex fuel looks to be in almost the same place as the catch can. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Solus

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fc3
Country flag
Me too - I was about to post a thread about it until I saw this. I already have the mishimoto oil catch can installed, but my flex fuel kit gets here at the end of this month. I want to ensure I don’t have to get rid of the catch can, but the placement of the flex fuel looks to be in almost the same place as the catch can. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
We don't need one, glad I didn't get one also.
Link below says it all, but might be helpful for others before buying it.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We don't need one, glad I didn't get one also.
Link below says it all, but might be helpful for others before buying it.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-system-catch-can-testing-observations.31076/
Interesting. After reading through the entire thread, it doesn’t really seem there is a definitive, clear, and concise answer. I’ve been running mine for a few thousand miles now. I’m getting ready to do an oil change here within the next month or two so I’ll check and see how it has been doing. But if possible, then I’d like to keep both. I figured the catch can can’t do any “harm” and I’m not even sure if I still have the OEM lines to revert back.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed my flex fuel kit this month. I also have a Mishimoto Can. I just zip-tied it to the firewall bracket securing the ethanol sensor. I may go back and drill a hole in the firewall for a very clean look and mounting... But I'm okay with it for now.

redcivic19x

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I installed my flex fuel kit this month. I also have a Mishimoto Can. I just zip-tied it to the firewall bracket securing the ethanol sensor. I may go back and drill a hole in the firewall for a very clean look and mounting... But I'm okay with it for now.
Can you provide a picture of the setup when you get a chance?