sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan (Aegean Blue)
Country flag
Hey Everyone, I just need some insight on my dilemma.

I recently installed an Oil Catch can from @Mishimoto for my Civic Si.

I drove it for about ~2 Weeks.

I went to check the can to see if it did anything and found... NO OIL, no metal, no blow by materials, nothing..

Now my dilemma...

Was i supposed to add more oil to compensate for the can?
Or
Is it working because there are currently no excess oil & or bad stuff??

please help
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 26142

I would say give it more time, it definitely does the job. This is how mine looked after winter
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Help Snapchat-523230926

OP
OP
sib2on

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would say give it more time, it definitely does the job. This is how mine looked after winter
Snapchat-523230926.jpg
did you add additional oil when you first installed the catch can? I guess im jsut worried because i don't see the can having any residue of oil...making me think "maybe its not working and now my engine is not getting the OIL????"

(thank you for the pics btw. Very much appreciated)

Deleted member 26142

did you add additional oil when you first installed the catch can? I guess im jsut worried because i don't see the can having any residue of oil...making me think "maybe its not working and now my engine is not getting the OIL????"

(thank you for the pics btw. Very much appreciated)
Actually the purpose of the can is too keep the oil(and other things)out, it's stopping that from getting sucked into the intake valves and getting them all nasty over time.

OP
OP
sib2on

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually the purpose of the can is too keep the oil(and other things)out, it's stopping that from getting sucked into the intake valves and getting them all nasty over time.
Oh so youre saying for me to not see any oil or any residue... i guess im safe to say its 'working' and i have nothing to worry about like not having enough oil to flow through the can...

Deleted member 26142

Oh so youre saying for me to not see any oil or any residue... i guess im safe to say its 'working' and i have nothing to worry about like not having enough oil to flow through the can...
Yeah it's working just fine, and no extra oil is necessary just check it out again in a few weeks or so

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After two weeks you expected to see something? Try in two months. Or maybe even two years. Oil catch cans are highly debated for the Civic and likely not needed at all.

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
After two weeks you expected to see something? Try in two months. Or maybe even two years. Oil catch cans are highly debated for the Civic and likely not needed at all.
In 2 years that would be beyond overflowing already. Mine is almost full especially in winter time because of the vapor and that’s why I check it every month or so because you don’t want those gunk going back to the engine.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Snapchat-523230926.jpg
You get a lot more blowby on cold start and idles on winter days. I also get a lot more gasoline in my can than oil in the winter. I can see that light brown mix in yours as well.

Deleted member 26142

You get a lot more blowby on cold start and idles on winter days. I also get a lot more gasoline in my can than oil in the winter. I can see that light brown mix in yours as well.
Correct. That's why I love this thing gives me that peace of mind in the winter when the car has too idle alot longer than usual

OP
OP
sib2on

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

well i guess i was expecting some sort of indication that the oil did in deed go through the filter and it did indeed go into the pcv into the engine. thats why im worried. Why isnt there any oil slick or any drop of oil inside the can?

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
well i guess i was expecting some sort of indication that the oil did in deed go through the filter and it did indeed go into the pcv into the engine. thats why im worried. Why isnt there any oil slick or any drop of oil inside the can?
Your catch can sucks, your ringlands are perfectly sealed, or you didn’t route your hoses correctly

OP
OP
sib2on

sib2on

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Help IMG_3079.JPG

So i took out the can and inspected it under a light.
I see some indication of oil. Which means that oil is at least reaching the can and going to the engine. (no engine light...no spillage/leakage anywhere in the engine bay...)

just so weird that the can itself has no oil... hope I'm not starving the engine of oil.

CivicPR0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Touring CVT
Country flag
I actually forgot I had installed this and after 8-9months or more I don’t quite remember exactly, this is what I found. Not much but something.
Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Help D8C9DDA8-9E9C-4123-8613-4F68F15640A3

Honda Civic 10th gen Oil Catch Can Help 281BEBA8-90DF-4C3A-944D-F3BA165B09AB

Deleted member 26142

IMG_3079.JPG

So i took out the can and inspected it under a light.
I see some indication of oil. Which means that oil is at least reaching the can and going to the engine. (no engine light...no spillage/leakage anywhere in the engine bay...)

just so weird that the can itself has no oil... hope I'm not starving the engine of oil.
You got it wrong. It's not supposed to have oil running through it the purpose of it is too stop that oil from flowing back into the engine