EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I installed a Mishimoto oil catch can in early March this year. After a few couple thousand miles and 2 months, I had more than I was expecting, maybe 1.5 oz of oil. I drive a bit spirited on back roads but this is my daily driver so most is reasonably sedate. No track time. :(

If you were thinking about an oil catch can, I would do it. Not a large investment and an easy do it yourself install if you have turned a wrench before, at least with Mishimoto (not an advertisement, just my experience). I am sure that other brands are just as easy to install.

More importantly, what are the experiences with CCV catch cans in the CTR? How much do you get from a CCV relative to a PCV catch can for those who have installed both? I couldn't find a thread on this specific issue (sorry if duplicate).
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
From what I’ve seen on forums, people who have had the CCV side installed haven’t gotten any significant amount of oil in the can. The PCV IMO is a must though.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I opened my catch can about every 4 weeks and there was never much in it, like .125" in a 2.5" diameter can. A fraction of a teaspoon? I guess if you only check it twice a year there might be something in there. I haven't reinstalled it after I pulled the head. I think the tiny amount of moisture sucked in will be burnt away without a mess, I don't worry about it.
Edit: sorry I'm talking si but probably similar I imagine.

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type-R 2020 4Runner 2019 Camry 2011 Accord
Country flag
CCV looks to be a waste. I did the PCV only because I plan to keep the car forever, otherwise I wouldn't have worried about it at all.

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm impressed with the PCV catch can. It picked up more oil than I thought it would. Much better in the can than on the valves. It sounds like CCV catch can not needed which is reassuring. One thing less that I need to worry about. Thanks for the input.

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Personal experience:

Catch can installed at 5,000 miles. I now have 48,000 miles and had collected one full 16onz water bottle and a little bit of a second one. As for the CCV catch can I dont have it but when I installed the PRL charge pipes there was more oil than I thought on the charge pipes.

Car was driven everyday on a 50min commute. Until Rona hit us.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
I had one on my 18 si and it barely collected anything in 5000 miles (not the cans fault but the cars). MAPerformance wrote a blog about them and determined they werent needed due to our internal baffling and factory honda pcv strategy does a phenomenal job (over and above most other production vehicles assuredly). The fluid that is trapped is mostly condensation that forms WITHIN the can itself during heat cycling.

It also adds some restriction even if marginal to this system which can have the opposite effect as what you are trying to accomplish by installing one in the first place.

Also is a potential source for a boost leak from the added fitting, o-rings, can etc.

Mine also started making noise which prompted its removal and now is just sitting in my garage.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had one on my 18 si and it barely collected anything in 5000 miles (not the cans fault but the cars). MAPerformance wrote a blog about them and determined they werent needed due to our internal baffling and factory honda pcv strategy does a phenomenal job (over and above most other production vehicles assuredly). The fluid that is trapped is mostly condensation that forms WITHIN the can itself during heat cycling.

It also adds some restriction even if marginal to this system which can have the opposite effect as what you are trying to accomplish by installing one in the first place.

Also is a potential source for a boost leak from the added fitting, o-rings, can etc.

Mine also started making noise which prompted its removal and now is just sitting in my garage.
What can were you using? Isn't the point of the can to allow vapors to condense in the can as liquid and settle to the bottom as "tainted" air passes through? Even if the fluid that is trapped is condensation that formed within the can, it's clearly not just water but instead full of contaminants that would otherwise be going back into your intake. Or am I missing something here?

OP
OP

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag

I got a surprising amount of oil for ~2 month, SI engine is different than CTR but not sure if that is the difference in your experience. . You might be correct and it was all oil vapor that condensed. But oil vapor could condense when hitting the cooler air in the manifold. If saves even one valve cleaning it is worth the investment. Better safe than sorry in my opinion. In terms of making noise, not sure why that would be. The hoses used in the Mishimoto kits are more substantial than OEM. If maintained and metal filters cleaned, not sure where there would be an issue.

slowman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ABM CTR, 08 Mugen Si, 07 Fit Sport, 06 Acura TSX, 95 240 LS3, 93 Civic VX B16B
Country flag
Radium PCV catch can here. Installed mine at 329 miles on the clock. I'd rather the can trap the crap than it just being recycled into my intake manifold and engine.

PowerPerLiter

Specific Output
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Coupe 91 Talon TSI AWD 6262 280's N20 and 87 Buick Regal T 6776bb built N20
Mishimoto. Nice setup just not needed in my opinion on a daily driven street car. All the folks tearing motors down have never seen much buildup if any at all. YMMV
Sponsored