Ohio SI, looking for some advice on mods.

Hammerfist1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks in advance for any help/advice you have! I've got a 2020 black SI, have about 12k miles on it, finally looking to do some *minor* mods. I've got a Ktuner 1.2 from TSP in my cart currently with the acuity pedal spacer as well, got in to looking at a new intake as an easy first physical mod, but I can't decide on which one, everything I see is either 27WON or PRL CAI's, I was also looking at a short ram(~$100 cheaper). I like the 27WON CAI because it seems like a simpler install and still a CAI. But if I get the tuner, I can get the PRL RACE CAI and it seems to be highly favored? There's a lot of options, and I'm very new to the mod game, so I figured I should reach out to get some direct information before I go messing around. Any advice is greatly appreciated, what's your favorite mod you've done on yours/what would you recommend?
Much appreciated!
Sponsored

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
CAI is a great place to start! Also idk if you already purchased the ktuner but give the Phearable tune a look at too! There's an extensive comparison between the phearable vs the TSP. Both come free with the purchase with a ktuner! Also don't suggest a short ram intake, seems like a lot of people on the forum dislike it because it caused issues for many, so still with CAI

OP
OP

Hammerfist1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
CAI is a great place to start! Also idk if you already purchased the ktuner but give the Phearable tune a look at too! There's an extensive comparison between the phearable vs the TSP. Both come free with the purchase with a ktuner! Also don't suggest a short ram intake, seems like a lot of people on the forum dislike it because it caused issues for many, so still with CAI
Do you have a personal preference/read about which CAI performs/sounds better between 27WON and PRL? Also, what site do you buy the ktuner from to get both phearable and TSP from? I know I can get TSP for free if I buy it through them, but didn’t know about phearable.

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
Do you have a personal preference/read about which CAI performs/sounds better between 27WON and PRL? Also, what site do you buy the ktuner from to get both phearable and TSP from? I know I can get TSP for free if I buy it through them, but didn’t know about phearable.
Sorry if I misled you on that. you cant get both for free. I meant they both do the same package deal if you by from either place. I just recently chose the Phearable tune over the TSP due to the discussions on here. I'll give you the link to the ktuner unit with the tune included.
http://www.phearable.net/engine-computers/ktuner-systems/ktuner-flash-kit.html

With the CAI, I don't want to sound like I know exactly what it all means but here's what I've gathered from here. The PRL will most likely give better results just because the cone is down where the cold air is whereas the 27Won is up in the engine bay with a compartment tube that sucks in the colder air. The reason they do this is to prevent hydro locking. You have to look into more about what that is but it doesn't sound good ? . I see you're from Ohio, I'm for PA, so it's not like we're from Florida or Washington or something, but I'm planning on getting the 27Won in the near future over the PRL just for peace of mind.

OP
OP

Hammerfist1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
Sorry if I misled you on that. you cant get both for free. I meant they both do the same package deal if you by from either place. I just recently chose the Phearable tune over the TSP due to the discussions on here. I'll give you the link to the ktuner unit with the tune included.
http://www.phearable.net/engine-computers/ktuner-systems/ktuner-flash-kit.html

With the CAI, I don't want to sound like I know exactly what it all means but here's what I've gathered from here. The PRL will most likely give better results just because the cone is down where the cold air is whereas the 27Won is up in the engine bay with a compartment tube that sucks in the colder air. The reason they do this is to prevent hydro locking. You have to look into more about what that is but it doesn't sound good ? . I see you're from Ohio, I'm for PA, so it's not like we're from Florida or Washington or something, but I'm planning on getting the 27Won in the near future over the PRL just for peace of mind.
So I’m looking at the phearable one now, it makes me choose the MAF upfront. If I choose the race(because that’s what I’m going to get) can I still use the tune before I get the race installed? Do you know?

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
if you are talking about tune for Race MAF, then you have to flash tune after installing the Race MAF sensor.

Crowe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
So I’m looking at the phearable one now, it makes me choose the MAF upfront. If I choose the race(because that’s what I’m going to get) can I still use the tune before I get the race installed? Do you know?
If you get the Race MAF for your tune you shouldn't use it until you have the upgraded Race MAF housing that will come w/ whatever intake you choose. It will throw your fuel trims all out of wack because the engine will be expecting more airflow than the stock housing can supply.

Also, hello from ohio friend. What area are you from?

OP
OP

Hammerfist1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
If you get the Race MAF for your tune you shouldn't use it until you have the upgraded Race MAF housing that will come w/ whatever intake you choose. It will throw your fuel trims all out of wack because the engine will be expecting more airflow than the stock housing can supply.

Also, hello from ohio friend. What area are you from?
I've decided to just go with a street one instead of race, but I also am thinking about getting 27WON CAI instead, idk why I have a fear of hydrolock, but I do haha. But have seen some reviews about fuel trim issues. So now I've got to try to find more info on that. This is a never ending battle it seems lol.

I'm from the Dayton area, how about you??

Knappy17

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan Red
Country flag
I've decided to just go with a street one instead of race, but I also am thinking about getting 27WON CAI instead, idk why I have a fear of hydrolock, but I do haha. But have seen some reviews about fuel trim issues. So now I've got to try to find more info on that. This is a never ending battle it seems lol.

If you get the 27won, all you need is the street because I don't believe they have a race option!.

Crowe

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

I'm up in the Toledo area. Not too sure what the roads are like down there but there aren't many twisties out here unfortunately.

I hadn't heard anything about 27won fuel trims being off but hydrolock is scary AF. My last car was an '04 Celica GT and the previous owner had a CAI on it that was right in front of the driver side wheel. The plastic lining on my wheel well was falling apart so every time the roads were wet the back spray would end up soaking the filter and it would bog down pretty badly. On my last day as a pizza delivery driver we had torrential rain with a decent amount of flooding. Came up on an intersection that was flooded but I figured I hadn't had TOO much issue powering through stuff like that in the past. That was a mistake haha. Much deeper than it looked and I hydrolocked the engine pretty badly but I didn't do any permanent damage thankfully.

I have a K&N SRI currently. Sounds great but those IATs leave something to be desired. I've been getting the itch to snag an CAI and the only one I would feel comfortable getting would be the 27Won. I'll probably get that and the 27Won FMIC and call it a day mods wise. At least for a while.

HustedDrums

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R
Country flag
Cold air is a cheap and great first start. As others have mentioned, the Phearable tune is a newer, more popular one that many are using now. I started with a CAI. PRL is tried and trusted.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I'm up in the Toledo area. Not too sure what the roads are like down there but there aren't many twisties out here unfortunately.

I hadn't heard anything about 27won fuel trims being off but hydrolock is scary AF. My last car was an '04 Celica GT and the previous owner had a CAI on it that was right in front of the driver side wheel. The plastic lining on my wheel well was falling apart so every time the roads were wet the back spray would end up soaking the filter and it would bog down pretty badly. On my last day as a pizza delivery driver we had torrential rain with a decent amount of flooding. Came up on an intersection that was flooded but I figured I hadn't had TOO much issue powering through stuff like that in the past. That was a mistake haha. Much deeper than it looked and I hydrolocked the engine pretty badly but I didn't do any permanent damage thankfully.

I have a K&N SRI currently. Sounds great but those IATs leave something to be desired. I've been getting the itch to snag an CAI and the only one I would feel comfortable getting would be the 27Won. I'll probably get that and the 27Won FMIC and call it a day mods wise. At least for a while.
I was in Toledo area when I was attending my Masters. I feel the roads are very bad over there after winter. Right now I moved to California because of my Job but I miss that small city a lot
Sponsored