Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirelliPZero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EJ6, CBR
Not sure I agree. A goodly portion of my airplane is made from carbon fiber, including the radome with is engineered to withstand the impact of a 5 pound chicken traveling 250 knots, or roughly 285 mph.

I once ran over a flock of Canadian geese going about 150 mph: made one hell of a mess, but the carbon fiber flaps were Un-damaged.

Perhaps car parts aren't constructed the same way, that is to say, properly?

Picture of a radome that was hit by a large bird. Knocked the paint right off of it, but the structure is intact.
For starters, there isn't just one "carbon fiber" construction like there isn't just one metal construction. You can bend a steel spoon with your hands, but you can't bend a steel beam with your hands. You can crush an aluminum can with your hands, but you can't crush an aluminum bumper beam with your hands. Yet they are all properly constructed.

So it depends on the job the carbon fiber is designed to do. Presumably as in a plane's fuselage, F1 cars use a carbon fiber tub, also known as a monocoque or safety cell. This has protected drivers through impact forces reaching 75G! Meanwhile F1 cars also use carbon fiber front wings, and pieces of those snap off at the slightest touch of another car. That's because in the latter application the carbon fiber is meant to be as light and thin as possible while being strong enough to its job. (And its job is airflow, not impact absorption.)

Likewise a front lip on a car is meant for aero and not impact. Similar to the way a plastic front bumper cover is only meant to withstand measly <5mph impacts without significant damage. It is the bumper beam behind it that is designed for true impact.

To think of it more simply - something has to give. In your case, it was the bird! But regarding the lower front fascia of a car, the curb isn't going to move. The speed bump isn't going to move. You don't want your car registering an impact and having the airbags go off. No, the lip will give a little, and then it will break.

Then it will just be a more expensive replacement because it is a more expensive material.
Sponsored

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
What makes you say that?

True Carbon fiber is roughly 10 times as strong as steel, so that makes no sense.
It's a question of brittleness, not toughness or strength, especially in non specialty configurations (which are never nice and shiny) No questioning the strength under either tension, compression or rigity against flexation, especially for the weight. But strike it and it will fracture and spider relatively easily. Sure it may not break into pieces like a fiberglass would.. But there is no touching it up to look all pretty again when you run across the curb after a coming into a chicane too hot.. Or bump into the burb in a parking spot...

JDhonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CTR #2043, 03 S2000, 05 Element, 69 Charger
For starters, there isn't just one "carbon fiber" construction like there isn't just one metal construction. You can bend a steel spoon with your hands, but you can't bend a steel beam with your hands. You can crush an aluminum can with your hands, but you can't crush an aluminum bumper beam with your hands. Yet they are all properly constructed.

So it depends on the job the carbon fiber is designed to do. Presumably as in a plane's fuselage, F1 cars use a carbon fiber tub, also known as a monocoque or safety cell. This has protected drivers through impact forces reaching 75G! Meanwhile F1 cars also use carbon fiber front wings, and pieces of those snap off at the slightest touch of another car. That's because in the latter application the carbon fiber is meant to be as light and thin as possible while being strong enough to its job. (And its job is airflow, not impact absorption.)

Likewise a front lip on a car is meant for aero and not impact. Similar to the way a plastic front bumper cover is only meant to withstand measly <5mph impacts without significant damage. It is the bumper beam behind it that is designed for true impact.

To think of it more simply - something has to give. In your case, it was the bird! But regarding the lower front fascia of a car, the curb isn't going to move. The speed bump isn't going to move. You don't want your car registering an impact and having the airbags go off. No, the lip will give a little, and then it will break.

Then it will just be a more expensive replacement because it is a more expensive material.
Wow.. very well said. That deserves a round of applause:goodpost:

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
If that was real carbon fiber it would be advertised as such. I hope it's just a plain plastic for the US that's easy to clean. I'm worried rocks and road salt would ruin it. Mud flaps don't really go with the body kit very well.

the1dynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (FK8), 2007 Civic Si (FG2)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay, how about the Focus RS? Similar forbidden fruit to North America, hatchback, silly pricing/adm/availability a year ago, now you can have your colour choice. 2016's are still on dealer's lots ... according to Ford.ca there are three 2016's and eighteen 2017's close to me.

However, there is a difference - hopefully. The ITR helped sell lessor Integras. The Focus RS doesn't seem to have had that effect on lessor Focus' (Foci?) sales. If the Type R sells more Civics, then it has accomplished its primary mission - the same mission the ITR successfully accomplished twenty years ago.
I think Ford dealerships killed that car by overcharging for it and losing enthusiast interest... I personally hadn't even heard of the RS until I researched the CTR... Of course VW and Subaru had been around for a while but Ford isn't even on the radar for most people considering the CTR...

Maybe this is just my fanboyism thinking here but I just don't think the CTR is comparable to anything and none of us have a clue on what to expect...

I just want my blue CTR :(:eek:

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I made this up for our Vent discussion. It compares the Euro spec to the only 2 known US spec pics. No CF. Perhaps it will be an option, however looking at the specs/options that have been announced we are almost certainly getting a 'stripped down' version then Euro.

CTR Back compare.jpg
CTR Front Compare.jpg
us ver - back no cf.jpg
I looked at the Video that DPCars post. Making of the 2017 Type R, and I snipped these pics of a US Spec Type R(still as a prototype)
Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft splitter 2.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft splitter 1.JPG

Banshee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3, 07 Civic Si, 17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Did anybody else noticed on those few pics (north american version) if they have turn signal indicators on the side mirrors? I know the euro version will have turn signal indicators and power folding on their mirror (I know we won't get power folding option). The reason I asked is every honda (civic, accord, Odyssey, pilot) that came out as a "Touring" trim always have/had turn signal indicator on the side mirrors. Just wondering if anybody here with a really good set of eyes can confirm. THank you

Regards,
CJ
Not sure if this will help, but the video I pulled this from is the same from above.
Honda Civic 10th gen Officially Revealed: 2017 Honda Civic Type R with 306 hp / 295 lb-ft mirror.JPG

Nemesis724

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type-R Touring, 2013 Infiniti G37 Sedan Sport 6MT, 2007 Honda Civic Si 6MT, 2010 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo X (Sold), 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (RIP)
Not sure if this will help, but the video I pulled this from is the same from above.
mirror.JPG
Thank you Banshee. Please note that This is a prototype and not an actual production unit. I will just have to wait until a real production version will make here to US shores and I'm sure a lot of questions will be answered.

Evo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer Evolution
Country flag
I think Ford dealerships killed that car by overcharging for it and losing enthusiast interest... I personally hadn't even heard of the RS until I researched the CTR... Of course VW and Subaru had been around for a while but Ford isn't even on the radar for most people considering the CTR...

Maybe this is just my fanboyism thinking here but I just don't think the CTR is comparable to anything and none of us have a clue on what to expect...

I just want my blue CTR :(:eek:
You can expect the FK2 in a new civic. The interior of the type r except the seats is a regular civic (a good thing) the performance in a straight line is the same, less rev hang and perhaps better handling. Better sound, better availability too!

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
If you attend a lot of car shows you will see these LED strips like this in nearly all modeled cars... At the NAIAS we see this in nearly everything that is spotlighted at the show for the year. Some even go overboard with the interior lighting ;)

I wouldn't assume this is anything factory and is simply to allow media and patrons to see the interior nicely during filming etc.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Exactly what I thought. Especially when they get in and close the doors on a car with tinted widows.
If you attend a lot of car shows you will see these LED strips like this in nearly all modeled cars... At the NAIAS we see this in nearly everything that is spotlighted at the show for the year. Some even go overboard with the interior lighting ;)

I wouldn't assume this is anything factory and is simply to allow media and patrons to see the interior nicely during filming etc.

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
I came up with 2822 lbs for the car.

Honda Canada:

"The Type R’s scalpel-sharp responses are further enhanced by a body more rigid than the substantially improved Civic Hatchback on which it’s based – with a 38 percent increase in torsional rigidity and 45 percent gain in bending rigidity versus the previous Civic Type R – enhancing steering response and cornering stability while mitigating body vibration and cabin noise. The improvements are made possible by the application of structural adhesive throughout the body. Ultra-high strength steel is used for 14 percent of the body structure, and the Type R has an aluminum hood, contributing to a 16 kg (35 lb) reduction in body weight versus the previous Type R, and a 7 kg (15 lb) reduction versus the base 2017 Civic Hatchback."

So base hatchback weighs 1287kg, taken from Honda Canada. 1287: 2835lbs-15lbs: 2822lbs

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
I came up with 2822 lbs for the car.

Honda Canada:

"The Type R’s scalpel-sharp responses are further enhanced by a body more rigid than the substantially improved Civic Hatchback on which it’s based – with a 38 percent increase in torsional rigidity and 45 percent gain in bending rigidity versus the previous Civic Type R – enhancing steering response and cornering stability while mitigating body vibration and cabin noise. The improvements are made possible by the application of structural adhesive throughout the body. Ultra-high strength steel is used for 14 percent of the body structure, and the Type R has an aluminum hood, contributing to a 16 kg (35 lb) reduction in body weight versus the previous Type R, and a 7 kg (15 lb) reduction versus the base 2017 Civic Hatchback."

So base hatchback weighs 1287kg, taken from Honda Canada. 1287: 2835lbs-15lbs: 2822lbs
The key wording here is BODY WEIGHT. It's 15 lbs less there, but 50-100lbs more drivetrain weight (with LSD), 10lbs more brakes, 10lbs more for the electronic dampers, 40-80lbs for all of that Aero, 10 lbs for the 12 speaker stereo, 10-20 lbs less for the racing seats, 10lbs less for spare tire delete, etc..,

I'm betting on 100-200lbs more than the base Hatch so 2935-3035 after all is said and done. We will soon see. That last 100 lbs is a couple tenths of a second and at least 1 mph at the dragstrip.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.