OFFICIAL Phearable stage 1.5 vs TSP stage 1 comparison

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I have a 2020 Si. Has there been any improvements to address the hesitation/jerkiness of rolling in and off the throttle with rev hang disabled?That’s been the only thing keeping me from buying ktuner and the phearable tune.
Sponsored

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I have a 2020 Si. Has there been any improvements to address the hesitation/jerkiness of rolling in and off the throttle with rev hang disabled?That’s been the only thing keeping me from buying ktuner and the phearable tune.
The throttle padding adjustments made to the 2020 tune do improve the feeling some have encountered with revhang disabled. Ultimately if someone doesn't like having revhang disabled they can always enable it.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Just curious how do you know it’s bad if you don’t have ktuner? Listen I’m on phearable, it’s not jerky, tsp kinda is if you’re dont drive flawlessly , but if you’re thinking of getting it man, just do it. It’s worth every penny, and then some, you can do the base maps or an off the shelf tune. Either way it’s gtg I put on the rev hang today, and I didn’t notice a huge huge difference in my driving but it was nice for just cruising, but you’re good man don’t worry about that beef jerky lol.

10thgenSIcoupeBLK

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen Civic si coupe
Country flag
Ok guys. So here are my final official thoughts I went out to drive today, on dry pavement, and clearly there is something different about the traction control or power output, because I was burning 1st and second but it was a nice burn. I hit 3rd and took off like a lambo ? the people on the streets were looking at me like I was a black stealth bomber, screaming my name, cheering because once you see and hear those tires burning it’s straight arousel and a big bill ? my tires could also be trash and it was cold out. But I’d be lying to you all if I said I didn’t love every second of that torque steer. It put a damn smile on my face. I’d hate to say it cause I feel like I’m betraying tsp but I’m not coming off phearable for a long time. The hype was spot on. And I loveeeee carrying the power all the way till 6 k, it feels like that’s how the car SHOULD PERFORM

Phil2019

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Good morning folks. This will be an in-depth comparison between Phearable's stage 1.5 tune (GOD mode) vs, Two Step Performance's stage 1 tune.

DISCLAIMER: I have no affiliations with either company, this is an honest and unbiased comparison.

Current Mods: PRL intake, Catless DP, & Magnaflow catback.

I bought the Phearable tune the other night and wanted to give it a few days to really notice all of the differences. The topics that I am going to cover are drivability, deceleration, reliability, and performance.

DRIVABILITY
The very first thing I noticed while driving with this tune was the smooth transition between gears. With TSP (rev hang disabled) it was almost tricky at times to drive the car smooth - especially if you have been using the rev hang feature for smoother shifting prior. WIth Phearable's tune, even with rev hang disabled it is a breeze to shift through the gears smoothly. You'll also notice right off the bat that 'Sport' mode no longer changes anything regarding to engine performance. So that means 'sport' mode no longer makes the throttle super sensitive, it doesn't change boost settings or how fast the boost will ramp up. What you see is what you get. In saying that, Phearable has struck a pretty solid middle ground between performance and drivability in regards to throttle sensitivity. With TSP I found if I was crusing around in 'Sport' mode the car always had this sense of urgency; if you dipped into the throttle even a little then the boost would ramp up and start pulling. Phearable's tune you need to give it more throttle to get more response in comparison to TSP. This is not a bad thing in my opinion, it makes for day-to-day driving quite comfortable and knowing that I have full power/boost on hand all the time without having to switch to 'sport' mode is a welcomed change.

The last thing I noticed with the Phearable tune is when you have 'cruise main' enabled the rev hang is much more prominent than TSP when it had 'cruise main' enabled. There is a reason for this (see drivability). To sum this category up, Both Phearable and TSP have made their tunes very comfortable to use in daily driving, it really comes down to preference in regards to features of the tunes.

DECELERATION
Now you might think that this is an odd topic to cover but I think it is important to note a few things that I have noticed.

Let's first talk about GOD mode. I purchased this setting because I already have a catless DP and thought that I would give it a shot. It sounds great. Between 3500-5000 RPMs while decelerating, the car starts off with loud burbles then all of a sudden it starts cracking and popping, It is quite pleasing to hear actually. It isn't over the top like a lot of the Hyundais or BMW cars you'll hear but it certainly is loud, noticable, and fun. There is a caution notice on Phearable's website regarding this feature so be considerate of that if you do purchase this.

While downshifting with 'cruise main' enabled, this is where you'll get most of your gurgles and pops. I have to say that it does sound great. I should also make note that the tune gurgles all throughout the rev range but you only need to be cautious of the specified rev range when 'cruise main' is enabled. When 'cruise main' is enabled I noticed that the car doesn't nearly decelerate as fast as it would if the rev hang is disabled. I have to note that the car almost has a slight jerking sensation when decelerating in order to make these sounds. When I say a jerking feelling it does not make the ride uncomfortable but I did notice it. It is just something to be aware of. TSP and their tune whether you have rev hang enabled or disabled decelerates very smoothly.

When you turn rev hang off, the car decelerates very smoothly and doesn't have any hesitation. Even with rev hang disabled, you'll notice the car will start to burble from 2000 RPM and below. This is a nice touch, it gives it a pleasing sound in parking lots when you're just casually driving. My TSP tune would gurgle a bit but I would have to be at 1500 RPMS and under.

RELIABILITY
This will be a short topic. Maybe it'll be useful for people who are new to the platform. Two Step Performance and their stage 1 tune has been proven to be extremely reliable assuming the car isn't abused. Their tune has a great track record and has been run in many 10th gens with nothing but good things to say about them. That goes for myself as well, I have had TSP for about 20,000kms and this tune is excellent. I would certainly recommend them to anyone.

To be honest, I had never heard of Phearable until recently. From my research they have been around for a long time with a proven track record with Honda tuning. My guess would be that this tune will also be very reliable but of course that has yet to be seen.

PERFORMANCE
Here is the big question. Let's get this out of the way... Phearable stage 1.5 > TSP stage 1.

The very first thing that I noticed when I did my first 3rd gear pull was that the torque doesn't come on as hard. It seems that Phearable ramps up their boost at a slower rate. Although it comes on slightly slower, Phearable certainly feels like it has slightly more torque and a noticeably beefier mid-range. You'll really notice once you hit 4000RPM that the car has a significant difference all the way to redline. It is actually a weird sensation and hard to describe. It feels like Phearable's tune takes less effort to rev in comparison to TSP. Although boost comes slightly later in the rev range, it may prove to be slightly safer on both the internals and our clutches. I'm still running the stock clutch and haven't had any slippage on either tunes, I am one of the lucky ones.

The best analogy I can think of is when I went from the Ktuner basemap to TSP the difference was significant. Going from TSP to Phearable’s tune is a similar feeling - although not as prominent it does have more power.. You notice more power throughout the entire rev range with a significant difference up top. Even yesterday it was very hot outside and the car would pull extremely well. I’m excited to see what it does on a cooler night. I’m certainly happy with the purchase.

All in all, if you’re running TSP stage 1, it is worth the upgrade to Phearable’s tune. Both tunes are excellent.

I will try to answer any questions you may have. Cheers.

EDITED:

GOD Mode drive-by

I don't know why but with pherable my knock control is all over the place between 49 and 65 with normal driving and shoot to about 89 with wot, with tsp its at 49 all the time with normal driving and would go to around 75 with a wot pull. I have a 1.5 cvt, both tunes were done on same tank of gas

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just a reminder to those who have already done our community tuning survey and to those who haven't gotten onboard yet.

John Vega (Phearable) has asked all users of his tune to post in the survey.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/the-tuned-civicx-experience-reliability-survey.42361/

If you're new, do a complete survey. If you've switched from TSP to Phearable and already did a survey, just add a new post mentioning that. That way, I can update the stats.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
The throttle padding adjustments made to the 2020 tune do improve the feeling some have encountered with revhang disabled. Ultimately if someone doesn't like having revhang disabled they can always enable it.
Thanks for the reply. You’ll be seeing my purchase on your site soon. Thanks.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just curious how do you know it’s bad if you don’t have ktuner? Listen I’m on phearable, it’s not jerky, tsp kinda is if you’re dont drive flawlessly , but if you’re thinking of getting it man, just do it. It’s worth every penny, and then some, you can do the base maps or an off the shelf tune. Either way it’s gtg I put on the rev hang today, and I didn’t notice a huge huge difference in my driving but it was nice for just cruising, but you’re good man don’t worry about that beef jerky lol.
It was based on the reviews that 2020 Si owners have posted on various threads/FB posts.

I had an 8thgen Si for 12 years and remembered how jerky my shifts were before my hondata tune. So I’m looking to do the same for my 10thgen but using ktuner with the phearable tune. I just want a better shifting experience and not necessarily power bump, although I won’t mind it lol. So I’ve been focusing what people are saying about their throttle response when shifting or simply rolling on and off the throttle, all things critical to my daily driving experience.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
I don't know why but with pherable my knock control is all over the place between 49 and 65 with normal driving and shoot to about 89 with wot, with tsp its at 49 all the time with normal driving and would go to around 75 with a wot pull. I have a 1.5 cvt, both tunes were done on same tank of gas
It was based on the reviews that 2020 Si owners have posted on various threads/FB posts.

I had an 8thgen Si for 12 years and remembered how jerky my shifts were before my hondata tune. So I’m looking to do the same for my 10thgen but using ktuner with the phearable tune. I just want a better shifting experience and not necessarily power bump, although I won’t mind it lol. So I’ve been focusing what people are saying about their throttle response when shifting or simply rolling on and off the throttle, all things critical to my daily driving experience.
I will add that some customers with other ots tunes have stated it’s worse with the other tune they tried.

A majority never notice the phenomenon to begin with.

A few have stated it’s barely noticeable after the throttle padding changes on their 2020.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I will add that some customers with other ots tunes have stated it’s worse with the other tune they tried.

A few have stated it’s barely noticeable after the throttle padding changes on their 2020.
Thank you for the prompt replies. I am in the process of buying a used ktuner v1.2 from someone currently. Once I get it in possession I will buy the phearable tune.

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Thank you for the prompt replies. I am in the process of buying a used ktuner v1.2 from someone currently. Once I get it in possession I will buy the phearable tune.
Awesome!
FYI the tune is included free with purchase of a new Ktuner.

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@phearable I saw your cool $50 discount on Instagram and it prompted me to finally pull the trigger. Your tune for my Si is marked for everyone at $119. I apply the coupon code and it's still $119. So the WTF coupon code is pretty appropriate. Am I doing something wrong or what?

Honda Civic 10th gen OFFICIAL Phearable stage 1.5 vs TSP stage 1 comparison 1604707969072

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
@phearable I saw your cool $50 discount on Instagram and it prompted me to finally pull the trigger. Your tune for my Si is marked for everyone at $119. I apply the coupon code and it's still $119. So the WTF coupon code is pretty appropriate. Am I doing something wrong or what?

1604707969072.png
The ad states the coupon code is for custom etunes. An off the shelf stage 1.5 tune is not a custom etune.

skottharrison

First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag

Howdy John,
I understand this is a Ktuner setting and not so much the Phearable 1.5 tune (Great tune so far!) but what adjustments should be made to throttle padding in Ktuner to lessen any on/off throttle "jerkiness" with the new 2020 adjustments Ktuner has available?
Thanks and keep up the great work!
Sponsored