cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
Bit the bullet and ordered the Ktuner V2 with Phearable tune (no god mode....makes me cringe, honestly). I plan to dyno each map and post when it arrives and I can schedule with the shop that has a dyno.
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Initial thoughts on TSP Stage 1 vs Phearable Stage 1.5 w/o GOD mode:

Note that I only had TSP for about a month and 1500 miles. The vast majority of driving was on Map 1 w/o sport mode, so I will only compare with Phearable's Map 1

The two tunes are a little different in nature. What makes Phearable feel better to me is the slower build-up of boost. TSP felt more like a switch, where as Phearable feels more like a logarithmic curve. Some people will like how TSP feels when it hits harder at lower RPMs, but I like how Phearable feels for daily driving. Map 1 feels more like an OEM+ tune. ALMOST feels like driving an NA 6cyl VTEC Honda/Acura. That's a big pro in my book lol.

I also like how Pherable did their boost by gear. I'll admit that I didn't pay much attention to the PSI gauge before I flashed TSP, or even with TSP, but I was curious with Phearable. I don't rip it in 1st gear - probably saw around 10psi max here - but I consistently saw 18psi in 2nd gear and 21 psi in 3rd gear. This is Map 1, no sport mode, and only mod is a 27won CAI. By that point, you'd be well over the speed limit, so I didn't see what the max boost was in gears 4-6. I like how I don't need to be in sport mode to see these numbers. After I lowered my car on ktuned springs, I'm more reluctant to go into sport mode lol.

I can concur that I'm seeing slightly better fuel efficiency with Phearable Map 1 compared to TSP map 1. I went on a road trip last weekend for the 4th. With TSP, I barely I got ~40mpgs on the first leg of the trip. I got ~43mps on that same drive last year before I flashed. Only had Phearable for a couple days, but I saw around 42-43mpgs yesterday. My average fuel use before I flashed at 9k miles was around ~34 mpg. On the 1st tank of gas with TSP, I saw 33.5. Not much of a difference, but I'll report back on fuel usage with Phearable once I have more data.

Overall, I'm happy with Pherable's Stage 1.5 tune compared to TSP Stage 1 tune. I think I'll keep it on my ECU!

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Update to my previous post regarding the boost by gear. I saw around 4-5psi in 1st, 18 psi in 2nd, and 21psi in 3rd-6th. All in Map 1 without sport mode.
4-5 psi in 1st? :eek:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No I read it as 4-5 psi meaning I've never heard of reducing boost that much. Derek has bbg set at 18 psi in 1st on the TSP tune I have.

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Have any of you tried the advertised "No Lift Shift at 5,000 rpms"?

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
Have any of you tried the advertised "No Lift Shift at 5,000 rpms"?
Nope, would feel like I am abusing it if I did that. I am sure these cars can handle it but I want to take care of my baby :)

marcopolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Note that I only had TSP for about a month and 1500 miles. The vast majority of driving was on Map 1 w/o sport mode, so I will only compare with Phearable's Map 1
Note that those two maps are not very comparable. TSP Map 1 is factory boost, while Phearable's Map 1 is 19.5psi boost.

TSP Map 1:
"Map 1: Factory boost levels and turbocharger response. "

Phearable Map 1:
"Level 1: Low Boost / ~19.5psi**"

A closer comparison would be TSP Map 3 (without sport) and Phearable Map 1.
TSP Map 3:
"Map 3: 19psi normal, custom boost level "Sport" mode, Improved Turbocharger Response II"

kultofkek

Banned
Banned
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI, 2003 Honda CRV
Country flag
i think the god mode tune isn't recommended if you don't have an upgraded frontpipe and down pipes. Might as well, get a custom tune for the burbles after installing new components to the car.

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag
I just got back from a drive using Map 3 (not the first time in map 3).... It broke the tires loose in 3rd, traction control light came on, not on a clutch dump, a full throttle pull at 3000rpm. I never saw that on TSP, let alone in the heat we’re having, 32C high humidity. Not hammering it hard in this heat too much though. I actually like just running around on map 1. Map 2 adds a bit of urgency, map 3 is pretty amazing.

PSI readings

Map 1 saw 20psi
Map 2 saw 23psi
Map 3 saw 25psi

Heat and humidity are factors right now. No real loss in power with the heat.

Need some cold weather! Lol
I remember reading your posts a while back about tweaking boost-by-gear settings with TSP Stage 1 to protect the clutch. Is that something one can do (or should do) with the Pherable tune?

racingtoys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 si
Country flag
Even with rev hang enabled on both tunes, TSP still shifts noticably worse than Phearable.

It's cheap enough to give it a try...then if you hate it report back.

If I were to do it again I wouldn't have purchased TSP 1, I do like Two Step and think they're a good company, but a tune is a tune, no hard feelings, but someone always comes in second.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like the Phearable tune is amazing. I still think it's too bad no rep from Phearable is here at the forum. It's always great to have hands on vendor support like that at a car forum.

The one thing that has me confused is the people saying that the TSP 1 feels more potent down low. A mild low end was the main complaint about the TSP tune compared to an aggressively tweaked KTuner starter. Is the Phearable tune really that soft off the line?

So basically Phearable versus TSP:
Phearable is softer down low, more potent up top and smoother shifting. Is that about right?

Last edited:

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I remember reading your posts a while back about tweaking boost-by-gear settings with TSP Stage 1 to protect the clutch. Is that something one can do (or should do) with the Pherable tune?
Yes, boost by gear is available to limit in the upper gears.

Rev hang enable/Disable, Advanced VSA are also available, along with the quick disables for CEL.

Reactions: mjh

Fit2Hatch

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Hatchback Sport
Country flag
This is something I've mentioned many times in my TSP tune thread. It boils down to how and where you drive.

For me, after going back and forth, I chose the TSP 1 and have been using it well over a year. I love the high speed highway oomph that the KTuner tunes can't match. But no doubt the TSP tune feels weaker down low (but smoother).

Here's hoping some tuner designs a tune that combines the best of TSP and KTuner. Phearable is working on a tune and I have hope that it will be fantastic like their Si version.
Sounds like the Phearable tune is amazing. I'll still think it's too bad no rep from Phearable is here at the forum. It's always great to have hands on vendor support like that at a car forum.

The one thing that has me confused is the people saying that the TSP 1 feels more potent down low. A mild low end was the main complaint about the TSP tune compared to an aggressively tweaked KTuner starter. Is the Phearable tune really that soft off the line?

So basically Phearable versus TSP:
Phearable is softer down low, more potent up top and smoother shifting. Is that about right?
Those are good questions that I share!

Although I don't prefer on/off switch like power, especially down low, but rather prefer having properly tuned power to enable smooth transitions, especially stand still roll off finesse from these little 1.5T's MT.

Another great interest is Phearable claims their upcoming non-Si tune will be better than anything currently available.

Gonna be interesting.
Sponsored