Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut

vti07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 9G Euro Hatch
Currently have a Euro 9G hatch and the cargo area for the 10G seems a fair bit smaller (narrow as well). Maybe to do with the rear suspension being upgraded from torsion beam to multilink or whatever it is. Getting rid of the Magic Seats is a bad idea as they are super practical. Our 10G hatches will be built in Thailand for the Australian market (which makes the car more price competitive locally). I'm fairly certain we'll get an inferior spec to UK and US models (and a slight reduction in build quality compared to UK build). The lanewatch camera is a downgrade on the blind spot mirror monitor which was available on certain 9G hatch variants. However for the 10G, I am looking forward to the 1.5T engine (compared to the torqueless R18), improved rear leg room, reduced NVH, even better handling.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rjvanro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Integra 483 K and goin strong!
Found some more pics of the Euro Hatch preview --- still not sure if that is a different shade of red or or just the lighting making the Ralleye red look better .... but Red is back in the running for my hatch color :)

h
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback1-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback2-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback3-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback4-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback5-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback6-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback8-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback9-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback10-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback11-
Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut honda-civic-hatchback12-

Honda Civic 10th gen Official Honda Civic Hatchback press release pics for Paris show debut Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 11.56.46 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

CivicVIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2
Vehicle Showcase
I always find it funny how Americans look at hatchbacks and prefer saloons. It's totally opposite over here. This car will be one of the biggest in its class. I drive an FK and that boot was and still is huge. That brings me to my question, does this Civic still have magic seats? The saloon doesn't have them right? I can imagine why they wouldn't, I think 90% doesn't use them and you get more comfy seats in return. Another thing I find odd are the clear side markers, we dont need those in Europe. Are there no turn signals in the mirror? I can't tell from the pictures.

Anyway I'm really excited about the new Civic. I just wish we would get the coupe also but thats likely to never happen :( We don't even have the Accord anymore! :mad:

neteng101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I always find it funny how Americans look at hatchbacks and prefer saloons. It's totally opposite over here.
Its the station wagon stigma - you call them estates over there but there's no stigma for estates either. So much more practical and I'd prefer less radical hatchback and closer to an estate profile myself... even more cargo space is never a bad thing. There seems to be no sense of value for versatility.

The new saloon Civic is more like a sedan coupe than a true sedan... with its rear profile, which is just ugly to me. Never quite got what anyone sees in the A7 type profiles. And you sacrifice some rear headroom in the name of aesthetics.

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I always find it funny how Americans look at hatchbacks and prefer saloons. It's totally opposite over here. This car will be one of the biggest in its class. I drive an FK and that boot was and still is huge. That brings me to my question, does this Civic still have magic seats? The saloon doesn't have them right? I can imagine why they wouldn't, I think 90% doesn't use them and you get more comfy seats in return. Another thing I find odd are the clear side markers, we don't need those in Europe. Are there no turn signals in the mirror? I can't tell from the pictures.
This Civic will have magic (fold-down) seats, and the saloon (sedan) does too. The Touring model sedan/saloon here has a 60/40 configuration on the fold-down rear seats, which I have found useful on several occasions. It enables you to put longer objects through on one side while keeping the use of a back seat for a passenger. I recently managed to fit a long piece of PVC plumbing pipe from the back of the boot (trunk) right on through to the right front passenger foot well, and shut the trunk lid. Handy!

However, the hatchback with its rear seats folded down does look like it will create a bigger cargo space than the sedan/saloon with its rear seats folded down. Fewer obstructions.

CivicVIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2
Vehicle Showcase
Im confused, Im not talking about folding them down but putting them up like in a Fit or Jazz. So thats still possible too?

RDMerBC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Im confused, Im not talking about folding them down but putting them up like in a Fit or Jazz. So thats still possible too?
OK, now I'm confused too. :)

Not sure what you mean by "putting them up," but I suspect that feature is not available for the Civic. They just fold down (individually) and fold back up to their original position in my Touring. Not much magic there.

DarkTimber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Civic Hatch MT
For versatility, I would prefer the magic seats of the Fit, however, it is not a deal breaker. My '98 hatch does not have them and I still haul a lot of stuff in it.

In my '98 Civic Hatchback, I have hauled 8 ft 2x4s, bookcases and other long objects by reclining the front passenger seat and removing the headrest. I am not a fan of non-removable headrests.

The magic seats would make the civic more camping friendly, however, I have learned to optimize the space I have available in a vehicle.

I also use the 60/40 split in my Highlander, especially, when there are 2 passengers and we go on a Colorado adventure...skiing, hiking, etc.

Not having exposure to a feature sometimes makes it difficult to imagine its importance. I never thought I would use the heated seats & heated side mirrors in my Highlander. First winter in CO mountains made me a believer. Never thought I would use the folding side mirrors. The folding side mirrors came in handy passing other vehicles on one lane Forest Service roads with little to no pull offs for passing.

MTs most of my life. Then, I got my Highlander AT. 32 yrs using a clutch. Before buying my 1st AT car, when renting cars (AT), I would still "try" to use the non existing clutch. My left knee is so much happier with an AT. I will miss having a MT. I know how to maximize the use of the AT's D2 & D1 for snow & Forest service dirt roads.

My only sedan was my very 1st car at age 16. I prefer the versatility of a hatch.

As the features are revealed on the '17 Hatch, perhaps try thinking outside the box on the usefulness of the feature.

CivicVIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK2
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I once you get used to certain things it's hard to go without. I would never never buy a car without cruise control for example. But thats standard on most cars nowadays thankfully.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No. The new hatch does NOT have the magic seats anymore like the fit/jazz has. The seat fold down almost flat in the new hatch but don't fold up anymore. The sedan fold down as well but hardly flat. Due to the new platform and the gas tank moving backwards in the car there isn't space in the floor for the magic seats anymore. The civic also loses its flat bottom rear floor (a feature here since 8th gens) and has the usual hump in the middle of the back again like most cars.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
So I'm in the market to sell my '08 Civic to get this Hatchback. Are we still expecting it to arrive this Fall (within a couple months)? I'm wondering if I should just ride out a couple months in my old car to upgrade to this hatchback....

I've talked to multiple dealers about this and they all claim it won't be available till early next year/spring... I don't know what to believe now...
No. The new hatch does NOT have the magic seats anymore like the fit/jazz has. The seat fold down almost flat in the new hatch but don't fold up anymore. The sedan fold down as well but hardly flat. Due to the new platform and the gas tank moving backwards in the car there isn't space in the floor for the magic seats anymore. The civic also loses its flat bottom rear floor (a feature here since 8th gens) and has the usual hump in the middle of the back again like most cars.
That sucks, I loved the flat floors

17Hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 CRV EXL AWD; 18 CRV EX AWD
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The HR-V has them, but haven't seen anything indicating the hatchback will.

SavagePavich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Coupe LX
Country flag
I'm split on whether or not I like this car vs the coupe.
I love the idea of having a hatchback (I'd prefer it, actually), but to me it just looks like a slightly fancier sedan. Plus there's just too much fake plastic grill covers for my liking. Meh.
Now if they were to make a 2 door hatchback, well I'd be feeling some nasty buyers remorse right about now.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I have to agree with SavagePavich.

I want to love this car. I've owned three other hatchbacks and I like them a lot generally. The thing is, from most angles (other than the back) this looks similar to the coupe-like sedan. It's more of a liftback than a traditional hatch. I also think they went overboard on the styling with the huge fake vents and honestly I prefer a nice big single roof spoiler on my hatches versus the double spoiler look of the Civic.

On the other hand, with it's boy racer looks, I know it will sell very, very well. Ultimately, I need to see this in person to make a final decision. Either way, I'm pretty sure my next car will be a 10th gen Civic, just not sure which one.
Sponsored