Official: All new Civic Si to debut at LA Auto Show next month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi_Derrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion
Country flag
I guess we'll find out in about 3 weeks. I hope its a 2.0t as well, but with Honda you never know. :( I'm just eager to see the SI sedan and coupe. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm buying a Mazda 3 hatch or a crossover SUV. Stil got a sweet spot for the Civics and Accords though
Sponsored

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess we'll find out in about 3 weeks. I hope its a 2.0t as well, but with Honda you never know. :( I'm just eager to see the SI sedan and coupe. I'm pretty sure at this point I'm buying a Mazda 3 hatch or a crossover SUV. Stil got a sweet spot for the Civics and Accords though
I went and test drove the Mazda3 before ordering the Civic. I was really disappointed with the engine. It has the same pathetic feel that the new Tacoma's do. Those Atkinson cycle engines are just too wimpy. There was not only no zoom zoom, there wasn't even one little zoom. Atkinson cycle engines are fine for hybrids, where they have an electric motor helping them. But they have no place in a real car....

TechSIguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda pro Jason has officially unofficially announced that there will be a private Honda event going on November 15th to announce a car we've all been asking and waiting for. I think we know what it issssss ;)

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
I went and test drove the Mazda3 before ordering the Civic. I was really disappointed with the engine. It has the same pathetic feel that the new Tacoma's do. Those Atkinson cycle engines are just too wimpy. There was not only no zoom zoom, there wasn't even one little zoom. Atkinson cycle engines are fine for hybrids, where they have an electric motor helping them. But they have no place in a real car....
3 years ago, my wife & I both test drove the Skyactive 2.5l in the Mazda6 and the Mazda3 when shopping for her. We both felt the engine was embarrassingly sluggish. A year later, when shopping for me, I tried the 6 again, thinking maybe it was an anomaly, that maybe the dealer really had us drive a 2.0 instead of the 2.5. Nope. It's so slow that I don't believe the 185hp figure one bit. It felt closer to 145hp. The Accord with the same claimed output felt significantly more powerful.

I'm also curious why, if someone is holding out for an Si, they'd choose the Mazda3. Even if it turns out to be a 1.5T, it's certain to be significantly stronger than the Mazda.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
I'm also curious why, if someone is holding out for an Si, they'd choose the Mazda3. Even if it turns out to be a 1.5T, it's certain to be significantly stronger than the Mazda.
We test drove the 3 when my wife was in the market for a new car (ended up buying a Fit). I thought it was okay for a commuter car. It felt better when compared to some of the competitors at the time, this was last year in 2015.

When compared to the 2015 Corolla, Civic, Sentra, Golf, etc...it certainly felt better and it comes in a hatch to boot.

Personally though I really wish Mazda would step up their sport game, they axed the MS3/6 (for now), the RX is no more (not my cup of tea but still considered sporty). The only sport option you have if you want a Mazda is a two-seater convertible...not very practical for a lot people.

planedoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0 6mt, 2015 Highlander V6 AWD, 2017 Accord EX coupe 2.4 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
3 years ago, my wife & I both test drove the Skyactive 2.5l in the Mazda6 and the Mazda3 when shopping for her. We both felt the engine was embarrassingly sluggish. A year later, when shopping for me, I tried the 6 again, thinking maybe it was an anomaly, that maybe the dealer really had us drive a 2.0 instead of the 2.5. Nope. It's so slow that I don't believe the 185hp figure one bit. It felt closer to 145hp. The Accord with the same claimed output felt significantly more powerful.

I am not brand loyal. I just wanted a sporty high mileage inexpensive car to commute in. I have a 435hp 6spd 2015 Mustang GT to play in. So, I went out shopping for 40mpg cars that have manual transmissions. I HATE autos, of all kinds, but especially CVT's. The Mazda3 was just on the list as it fit those parameters, until my test drive removed it. It prolly does make it's rated power, once it get's going. But Atkinson cycle engines just have very poor throttle response. Making them (feel) far more gutless than they really are. But get ready for them. You will see more and more car companies going to them as we get closer and closer to 2025 cafe requirements. Atkinson cycle engines were originally designed over a century ago as stationary engines. To run generators or pumps. Nobody thought them suitable for cars, until hybrids came along. Which is the only reasonable application for them in my mind for cars.

Shralper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Acura RSX Type S
Country flag
Atkinson cycle engines were originally designed over a century ago as stationary engines. To run generators or pumps. Nobody thought them suitable for cars, until hybrids came along. Which is the only reasonable application for them in my mind for cars.
Weird. Never heard about the Atkinson engine. That's a shame too, since the Mazda3 2.5 GT was on my shortlist in case Honda screws all us by putting a 1.5T in the new Si.

The Mazda3 2.5i engine specs look good on paper, but Mazda3 performance sucks pretty bad IMO (0-60 7.4 secs??). So i can believe what you are saying.

The Si better have a 2.0T. I've been waiting far too long.

BTW, where the hell are the leaks on the Si engine specs?? 3 weeks away from the official release and still nothing??

This is ridiculous.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
in case Honda screws all us by putting a 1.5T in the new Si
Seriously, how would that be "screwing" us?

If Honda gives us an Si with anything less than 220 hp and 200 lb/ft of torque, that's screwing us. A 1.5 that meets those numbers, though, is a win/win - lighter, rev-ier, more efficient, cheaper.

If you're talking about the very small subset of Si buyers who plan to push their motors to CTR-level outputs - Honda has never built cars to please them, and I don't see that changing for the 10G.

DavidJBrooks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Honda Accord Sedan 6-6, 2008 Honda Pilot
Country flag
not sure if this has been shared on this thread or how credible it is but reading this makes me want the SI even more.
http://tophondacars.com/2017-honda-civic-si-specs/
The very essence of "copy/paste." All of that is lifted from other sources, some of which have since walked back their claims (for instance, Car and Driver has gone from "it will have the 2.0T" to "it will have either a 1.5T or a 2.0T".

C&D is still fully on board the "we'll see a hatch Si", though, so there's that!

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag

That's weird - i drove the 2.5L CX-5 GT and thought it felt plenty peppy, like it had as much or more power than our Outback. I also drove the 2.0L in the 2017 Mazda 3 and it's a nice engine, though certainly feels like 150 hp.

The 1.5T makes it kind of moot though, it's more powerful and more fuel efficient.

Phosky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Civic DX
Country flag
That's weird - i drove the 2.5L CX-5 GT and thought it felt plenty peppy, like it had as much or more power than our Outback. I also drove the 2.0L in the 2017 Mazda 3 and it's a nice engine, though certainly feels like 150 hp.

The 1.5T makes it kind of moot though, it's more powerful and more fuel efficient.
I'm kinda hoping it'll be a destroked 2.0T (down to 1.5L), long rod, high reving motor :)

hoodlum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Astra
Country flag
Weird. Never heard about the Atkinson engine. That's a shame too, since the Mazda3 2.5 GT was on my shortlist in case Honda screws all us by putting a 1.5T in the new Si.

The Mazda3 2.5i engine specs look good on paper, but Mazda3 performance sucks pretty bad IMO (0-60 7.4 secs??). So i can believe what you are saying.

The Si better have a 2.0T. I've been waiting far too long.

BTW, where the hell are the leaks on the Si engine specs?? 3 weeks away from the official release and still nothing??

This is ridiculous.
Mazda only runs the Atkinson cycle under light load that is controlled by a camshaft. The switch would be instantaneous and allows Mazda to run a much higher compression ratio improving torque/HP during load over a conventional engine.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.