Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Sell it to someone here in California... Markups are still here for sure.
Yes! Private sale is the way to go. My car price got massacred by Carmax which usually gives better deal than trade in and other autobuyers.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not sure if this helps but all I have

FB_IMG_1587136111060.jpg
Here’s a 2020 shift knob close up. Seriously I can’t be the only one who thinks the 2020 knob is a step backwards, just like the front bumper plates that don’t compliment the rear ones in any way but the mustache or Nike swoosh that runs thru the with completely different styling to them.

I would definitely swap the shift knob for the Type-R upgrade knob immediately.

The 2020 has a lot I’m glad I missed buying the 2019 to customize (especially Honda sensing), but I am 1st in the list at my dealer for a 2021LE to add to the pile of toys. Still has the 2020 things I don’t like but I will keep it 100% stock with a sock on the pear so no one can see it unless I’m driving ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Official 2020 Type R Picture Thread D4190E79-73DD-46FB-9BF1-975794430405

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Here’s a 2020 shift knob close up. Seriously I can’t be the only one who thinks the 2020 knob is a step backwards, just like the front bumper plates that don’t compliment the rear ones in any way but the mustache or Nike swoosh that runs thru the with completely different styling to them.

I would definitely swap the shift knob for the Type-R upgrade knob immediately.

The 2020 has a lot I’m glad I missed buying the 2019 to customize (especially Honda sensing), but I am 1st in the list at my dealer for a 2021LE to add to the pile of toys. Still has the 2020 things I don’t like but I will keep it 100% stock with a sock on the pear so no one can see it unless I’m driving ?

D4190E79-73DD-46FB-9BF1-975794430405.jpeg
After making the swap to the 2020 shift knob, I definitely prefer it over the 2017-2019 shift knob (with the 2020 shift knob locking nut), even without the shifter upgrade that drops it another ½".

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After making the swap to the 2020 shift knob, I definitely prefer it over the 2017-2019 shift knob (with the 2020 shift knob locking nut), even without the shifter upgrade that drops it another ½".
I have to have a balance of form and function 1/2” shift height still isn’t measuring up. The car has tested slower than the 2019 at 4.9 (Highly touted by Honda) now 5..1-5.2 from the reviews I’ve read and Honda isn’t talking about 0-60 for the 2020 at all. I’m surprised no one noticed the acceleration was increasing slightly every year - 2017 & 2018, 2019 and now a slight dip in 0-60 times for the 2020 reviews when shifting matters. so short shifter or not it still a hair slower with shorter throws out of the factory.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I have to have a balance of form and function 1/2” shift height still isn’t measuring up. The car has tested slower than the 2019 at 4.9 (Highly touted by Honda) now 5..1-5.2 from the reviews I’ve read and Honda isn’t talking about 0-60 for the 2020 at all. I’m surprised no one noticed the acceleration was increasing slightly every year - 2017 & 2018, 2019 and now a slight dip in 0-60 times for the 2020 reviews when shifting matters. so short shifter or not it still a hair slower with shorter throws out of the factory.
Honda never talked about the 0-60 time for the 2017-2019 models (a lot of reviewers actually asked for one and never were given one from Honda which is why there is a huge variance in 0-60 times for the car). The 4.9 comes from Motortrend if I'm not mistaken when also doesn't take into account rolloff so their time is closer to a 5-60 or a 3-60 time vs a true 0-60 time that you may see others reporting. So 5.1-5.2 as a true 0-60 is about where it should be. Most journalists were quoting low to mid-5's in the 2017 models.

So a few things, it's not only ½", that's only due to the short shifter itself, not the shift knob. The lock nut will drop the shifter height another ⅜" while the shifter would drop it another ½". All in all it can drop it a total of ⅞", though the shifter is probably ½" taller to begin with (when mounted). So overall the shifter height probably dropped ⅜" total if you go with the entire 2020 setup. It's an improvement overall, even if you just do the lock nut and collar with the 2020 shifter it's an improvement in shift feel and speed IMO.

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Country flag
I know we don't get the headlight washer fluid system in the US, but I guess we don't get parking sensors as part of the sensing suite? I don't see that toggle button on that button cluster to the left of the steering wheel.
Apparently no BSM, RCTA, or parking sensors on the 2020. Sales guy thought they were on it but then couldn’t find them. Too bad, Europe gets them.

Dejavu

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR
Country flag
Apparently no BSM, RCTA, or parking sensors on the 2020. Sales guy thought they were on it but then couldn’t find them. Too bad, Europe gets them.
Yeah I was hoping if they could add it to 2021 model if there is one. I have it on my accord (except PS) and they are very useful.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Automobile Magazine (All from one source) : Just showing how unimportant the "short throw" is if you're still slower with it. Now we all know road conditions can be a factor but the changes weren't designed around the gearbox to make it a faster car when shifting is the most important factor (0-60), and we're talking 4.9 vs 5.4 which is substantial to 60 (Not all added features are there to make you faster). Add Honda sensing cheapen up some materials, throw in some braking and a larger opening in the grille.

2017 - 2018 Both had some gearbox issues later resolved for customers. Along with less interior noise dampening and more potential noise in the cabin area. (Common knowledge)

2019 - 0-60 4.9 seconds - The gearbox is superb, allowing shifts as fast as I could manage with no issues. Sub-5.0-second runs from zero-to-60 mph are doable, making the Type R quickest in the front wheel drive segment.

2020: 0-60 5.4 Seconds
- "Still Suitably Wild" https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2020-honda-civic-type-r-first-look-review/

One thing the 2020 Civic Type-R doesn't change is power. But that's good, because the Civic Type R doesn't really need any more than it already has. The turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder still pumps out 306 horsepower and 295 lb-ft of torque, which was enough to propel the hatch from 0-60 mph in as little as 5.4 seconds in our testing. A six-speed manual transmission continues to deliver power to the front wheels, but Honda shortened the lever's throws. Also new for 2020 is Active Sound Control, which modifies the interior sound based on the selected drive mode (Fake Engine Noises for Drive mode -Comfort, Sport, +R), a new Type R-exclusive Boost Blue paint color, an steering wheel wrapped in faux suede, and a fresh shift knob (wrapped in faux suede) rather than real leather.

In less-exciting news, Honda Sensing, the brand's suite of active-safety features such as automated emergency braking, lane-departure warning, lane-keeping steering assist, and adaptive cruise control, is now standard fitment.
While that's likely boring stuff compared to the Civic Type R's crazy styling and mind-bending front-wheel-drive performance, the addition of Honda Sensing means that the safety package is finally standard across the entire Civic lineup.

In no ways this to offend anyone but the 2020 made some concessions to accommodate a mild increase in price to throw in what they wanted, which was to include the Honda Sense, and may drive better than a stock 2019 around the track repeatedly. No one out of the factory is tracking the car more than driviing it. Genuinely anyone in here serious about having fun with their Type-R no matter the year is going to MOD it to your tastes. Just know everything comes at a price even tho it seems insignificant or a fake alcatera instead of real leather. Fake engine noises to simulate a driving mode (buy an exhaust is my solution) can you imagine how annoying simulated engine noise will be in unison with an aftermarket exhaust?

Just trying to put some facts in peoples minds that think just because it's the newest doesn't make it the best, so those that understood what I'm saying take advantage of the remaining 2019's ASAP unless you're sold on the compromises made to improve or add a few things. Short shift and sill slower. Imagine if they didn't shorten then throw?

Enjoy. Everyone stay safe and keep an eye on your loved ones.

Honda Civic 10th gen Official 2020 Type R Picture Thread ctr1

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Those 90 grams really weighing the car down smh lost half a second 0-60 ?
So the only change was 90 grams in a Pear Over a Marble? Did you read anything?

I don't choose either one of those options, I prefer Honda manufactured improvements, If the 90 grams in the pear was so great why is there still the same upgrade shift knob from Honda for 2020? So, again- as my post was intended was to not be blinded by cuts and ads for a smaller price increase and just think oh faux swede instead of real leather, fake carbon ABS in the dash instead of upgrading to the real carbon fiber options offered by Honda and others. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, and to stay competitive they need to refresh some and make the customer feel value in things like Honda sensing (that most probably never want in their Type R) so they can give you less in other categories.

Honda Civic 10th gen Official 2020 Type R Picture Thread Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 6.12.12 PM

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So the only change was 90 grams in a Pear Over a Marble? Did you read anything?

I don't choose either one of those options, I prefer Honda manufactured improvements, If the 90 grams in the pear was so great why is there still the same upgrade shift knob from Honda for 2020? So, again- as my post was intended was to not be blinded by cuts and ads for a smaller price increase and just think oh faux swede instead of real leather, fake carbon ABS in the dash instead of upgrading to the real carbon fiber options offered by Honda and others. At the end of the day you get what you pay for, and to stay competitive they need to refresh some and make the customer feel value in things like Honda sensing (that most probably never want in their Type R, so they can give you less in other categories.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 6.12.12 PM.png
I never considered the accessory knob as an upgrade to either the stock knobs (for both 2017-19 and 2020-21). For both setups it changes the shift feel, surprisingly in opposite directions. They're all kind of unique in their own way.

Going from 17-19 to the accessory the shift throw goes really long and the entire shift feels very smooth. If you're for that sort of setup, that's a huge upgrade to be honest. The 20-21 knob actually ends up creating a similar feeling going from the 17-19 knob, but with a shorter throw (after you get the lock nut) and a bit of notchiness and feedback back; you also get that positive feel when it kind of just puts itself into the next gear for you (similar to a weighted knob, but without the weight, it's weird).

Goin from the 20-21 knob to the accessory, the accessory rolls with the exact opposite. The shift feels far from smooth and is very mechanical and notchy. There is a ton of feedback, but also a lot of shift effort. In many ways having this combination reminds me a ton of the Spoon Sports Duracon knob on the 17-19 lock nut.

I do have to say there is something weird about the way the new shift knob is. Even if I compare it to another shift knob that has a similar height, dimensions, and weigh (S2000 Ti knob), that knob feels completely different in comparison. It's less smooth, a little more notchy, and requires a little more shift effort to get in. It honestly feels like the accessory knob, but smoother (likely due to the added weight); this is what I expected the 20-21 knob to feel like, but it doesn't for whatever reason.

Those 90 grams really weighing the car down smh lost half a second 0-60 ?
It's kind of ironic that you state this. The new 2020 shift knob is one of the few shift knobs I can actually shift very fast. The only other knob that I have that allows me that sort of dexterity would be the Spoon Sports Duracon.

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
Automobile Magazine (All from one source) : Just showing how unimportant the "short throw" is if you're still slower with it. Now we all know road conditions can be a factor but the changes weren't designed around the gearbox to make it a faster car when shifting is the most important factor (0-60), and we're talking 4.9 vs 5.4 which is substantial to 60 (Not all added features are there to make you faster). Add Honda sensing cheapen up some materials, throw in some braking and a larger opening in the grille.
0-60 tests will vary a lot for any car depending on numerous factors. I can show you videos where it took over 7 seconds for the 2019 to hit 60.
Must've been the volume knob addition!
Sponsored