Official 2020 Type R Picture Thread

civicmanic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring ; 2020 CR-V Sport(wife)
Country flag
I can assure you it never took my car 7 seconds to get to 60 even prior to mod
Show me your stock 0-60 runs..
Even modified, you yourself would be lucky to break under 5 seconds 1 out of 100 tries if ever. Fwd is a massive launch handicap. These are not dragsters. Though feel free to prove me wrong. Only videos of you doing it count, nobody else. The truth is, in the real world a 7 second 0-60 is going to be far more common than anything under 5.
Sponsored

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No a CT-R isn't a drag car, my GT-R is though. However no Civic Type R is a 7 second car 0-60, and drag races aren't 0-60 either. I already spoke of variations at the beginning of the original post. I have been into cars my entire life. I don't need to make videos driving a stock CTR to show you I know how to drive. In fact, I didn't even drive mine before it was modified. It went straight from the showroom floor to service to have the ECU pulled and sent off to be unlocked and modifications began. I'm done entertaining your 7 second factory Type-R shenanigans. You don't even own one - yet you say it's a 7 second car 0-60 stock. Find me one person here that drives a stock Civic Type-R and the best they can run is 7 seconds is a more challenging find.
:topic:

Honda Civic 10th gen Official 2020 Type R Picture Thread image0 3

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Show me your stock 0-60 runs..
Even modified, you yourself would be lucky to break under 5 seconds 1 out of 100 tries if ever. Fwd is a massive launch handicap. These are not dragsters. Though feel free to prove me wrong. Only videos of you doing it count, nobody else. The truth is, in the real world a 7 second 0-60 is going to be far more common than anything under 5.
You're probably right regarding sub-5 second 0-60 since the only time I've heard this done was in Motortrend's run which ignores rolloff, so it's more of a 3 or 5 to 60 MPH rather than a full on 0 to 60 MPH. However, a sub-6 is pretty easy to do so long as you launch the car properly. A mid-6 typically happens if you just rev it to max, drop the clutch and hammer it down which causes full wheel skip in both 1st and 2nd.

Since the car is traction limited in the first two gears, the only modification that will actually help the car to get a better 0-60 time would be better rubber. The stock rubber that comes on the Type R is a good compound, though there are much better compounds out there; even for street use. Something like a PS4S will definitely help it out or just go all out with the Cup2s like Honda did for the Ring record. Both of those tires should definitely help get the car closer to a sub-5 0 to 60 time. Going wider may not hurt either. A lighter rim may also help as well.

All this being said, the Type R still isn't a drag car by any means. You'd have to do quite a bit to the car to get it to that point. Adding AWD through electric propulsion may aid in that endeavor as will swapping the rear wing for an effective spoiler and possibly adding functionality to the fake vents in the rear of the car.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
You're probably right regarding sub-5 second 0-60 since the only time I've heard this done was in Motortrend's run which ignores rolloff, so it's more of a 3 or 5 to 60 MPH rather than a full on 0 to 60 MPH. However, a sub-6 is pretty easy to do so long as you launch the car properly. A mid-6 typically happens if you just rev it to max, drop the clutch and hammer it down which causes full wheel skip in both 1st and 2nd.

Since the car is traction limited in the first two gears, the only modification that will actually help the car to get a better 0-60 time would be better rubber. The stock rubber that comes on the Type R is a good compound, though there are much better compounds out there; even for street use. Something like a PS4S will definitely help it out or just go all out with the Cup2s like Honda did for the Ring record. Both of those tires should definitely help get the car closer to a sub-5 0 to 60 time. Going wider may not hurt either. A lighter rim may also help as well.

All this being said, the Type R still isn't a drag car by any means. You'd have to do quite a bit to the car to get it to that point. Adding AWD through electric propulsion may aid in that endeavor as will swapping the rear wing for an effective spoiler and possibly adding functionality to the fake vents in the rear of the car.
Wonder if the following combo can get consistent 4.9 on good road conditions:

1. CUP2s
2. Read Motor Mount
3. AntiLift Kit

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So a 3500RPM launch on a stock Type R spins the tires thru 1st and 2nd? I find it hard to believe that unless you’re on a cold road in cold weather. Honda claims 5,4 with the launch on a stock 2020 run which many sources claim is a very modest estimate. Never driving the car in stock form I doubt Honda would make untrue claims in this regard. Also I’m in the process of going to a Volk 20” x 10” on a 285/25/R20 To help keep the additional hp on the road. I don’t light to light with anyone but I can speak to the power up top and thru the corners is quite impressive and adding the garage line spacers helped gain some traction and turning improvements with a 2.3” wider stance, So with the lighter forged wheels and 3” more rubber on the road I expect to improve traction vastly on my CTR. Again why would I beat on my CTR light to light, and the 3 cars I have are vastly different animals when truly driving each of the cars. The Type-R wasn’t meant to drag race it’s a track car much like the 370Z and the GT-R however with all the power in the GT-R now it’s too much to do anything but go fast in a straight line. I’m interested to see some data from a 2020 Log R capture which I would assume should capture 0-60 as well since it’s a basic spec always posted in performance of every vehicle.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
So a 4500RPM launch on a stock Type R spins the tires thru 1st and 2nd? I find it hard to believe that unless you’re on a cold road in cold weather. Honda claims 5,4 with the launch on a stock 2020 run which many sources claim is a very modest estimate. Never driving the car in stock form I doubt Honda would make untrue claims in this regard. Also I’m in the process of going to a Volk 20” x 10” on a 285/25/R20 To help keep the additional hp on the road. I don’t light to light with anyone but I can speak to the power up top and thru the corners is quite impressive and adding the garage line spacers helped gain some traction and turning improvements with a 2.3” wider stance, So with the lighter forged wheels and 3” more rubber on the road I expect to improve traction vastly on my CTR. Again why would I beat on my CTR light to light, and the 3 cars I have are vastly different animals when truly driving each of the cars. The Type-R wasn’t meant to drag race it’s a track car much like the 370Z and the GT-R however with all the power in the GT-R now it’s too much to do anything but go fast in a straight line. I’m interested to see some data from a 2020 Log R capture which I would assume should capture 0-60 as well since it’s a basic spec always posted in performance of every vehicle.
1. You can't launch at 4500 RPM
2. A launch at 3500 RPM (max, limited by the ECU) will spin the tires because the car is traction limited. The car will spin it's wheels heavily in 1st and a bit in 2nd if you just hammer it (even with a launch from idle). Getting the throttle input just right with the Type R is essential to getting a good launch (which leads to a good 0-60 and quarter time). I've heard that stickier tires (stickier than stock) will deal with nearly all the wheel spin in 2nd, but 1st is still challenging. Hondata also has their traction control system that limits power in 1st and 2nd so you can just hammer it and it should never spin. Some people have described it as being black magic as it allows the car to accelerate quicker than most humans can make it without. But if you're completely stock (un-tuned ECU), the wheels will spin if you just hammer it.
3. Can you link to the Honda-claimed 0-60 time, I do want to see it actually. I know they didn't for the 2017-19. They may have for the 2020 and I didn't see it. That being said, mid-5's is where I'd expect the 2017-2019's to hit. So that 5.4 figure is believable. That being said, it's possible that Honda tweaked the suspension so there is less weight shift to the rear to improve this time since...
4. Traction is a function of weight over the driven axle. For a FF car, that would be the front axle which is losing weight over the front since weight shifts backwards during acceleration. This is the reason that the CTR isn't a drag car. If you could figure out a way to reduce drag, shift more weight to the front, and/or power the rear wheels, it will help with this. Obviously changing the tires will also help with this. I believe others have had success using a motor mount as well.
5. The GTR can do a lot more than just go in a straight line ;) I've heard that torque vectoring can be magical. I remember when it first released in '06 it had a killer Ring time, and that was in the rain (I couldn't imagine what it would have been in dry).

Last edited:

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. You can't launch at 4500 RPM
2. A launch at 3500 RPM (max, limited by the ECU) will spin the tires because the car is traction limited. The car will spin it's wheels heavily in 1st and a bit in 2nd if you just hammer it (even with a launch from idle). Getting the throttle input just right with the Type R is essential to getting a good launch (which leads to a good 0-60 and quarter time). I've heard that stickier tires (stickier than stock) will deal with nearly all the wheel spin in 2nd, but 1st is still challenging. Hondata also has their traction control system that limits power in 1st and 2nd so you can just hammer it and it should never spin. Some people have described it as being black magic as it allows the car to accelerate quicker than most humans can make it without. But if you're completely stock (un-tuned ECU), the wheels will spin if you just hammer it.
3. Can you link to the Honda-claimed 0-60 time, I do want to see it actually. I know they didn't for the 2017-19. They may have for the 2020 and I didn't see it. That being said, mid-5's is where I'd expect the 2017-2019's to hit. So that 5.4 figure is believable. That being said, it's possible that Honda tweaked the suspension so there is less weight shift to the rear to improve this time since...
4. Traction is a function of weight over the driven axle. For a FF car, that would be the front axle which is losing weight over the front since weight shifts backwards during acceleration. This is the reason that the CTR isn't a drag car. If you could figure out a way to reduce drag, shift more weight to the front, and/or power the rear wheels, it will help with this. Obviously changing the tires will also help with this. I believe others have had success using a motor mount as well.
5. The GTR can do a lot more than just go in a straight line ;) I've heard that torque vectoring can be magical. I remember when it first released in '06 it had a killer Ring time, and that was in the rain (I couldn't imagine what it would have been in dry).
The 4500 was a typo. I meant 3500 as I know it’s limited but I would never use that function modded just as I can’t use launch control on my GT-R it’s too much power for the car to even understand what’s going on. Did you not see my GT-R dyno? It’s way too much power to drive the car as a track car now. I’ll look again for the link but I’m pretty sure it was Automotive article I read that claimed the 5.4 and being a modest estimate by Honda. Again it will be good to see some Log R data from some of those with a 2020 before they mod if they haven’t yet.

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Picked it up!!!! Didn't get you drive it much waiting to get it 3m'd. Looooove the steering wheel. The pipes in sound is kinda trippy at first. Need to drive around alot more to see if I like it.
Once I'm 3m'd I will let you know more about the drive feel if it's any different.
The boost blue in person is amazing!!!!!! I love it!
Threw on some clear sidemarkers and my ssr wheels.
How many dealer installed options did the dealership have on the car, I see you have the wireless charger was that a personal choice or did the dealership add some accessories before you bought it?

OP
OP
typeRtommy

typeRtommy

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hope this helps

IMG_20200418_222051.jpg

IMG_20200418_222047.jpg

IMG_20200418_222117.jpg
Thanks man! Looks like more of the same - it must not be an issue then. I wonder if there's a drainage hole or something within the rocker panel.

Has anyone removed the side skirts and looked into this?

WannaBeTypeR

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Mazdaspeed 3
Country flag
Picked it up!!!! Didn't get you drive it much waiting to get it 3m'd. Looooove the steering wheel. The pipes in sound is kinda trippy at first. Need to drive around alot more to see if I like it.
Once I'm 3m'd I will let you know more about the drive feel if it's any different.

Instagram turbo_vtec_yo

PSX_20200418_180642.jpg

IMG_20200418_155416.jpg

IMG_20200418_155352.jpg

IMG_20200418_141822.jpg

IMG_20200418_153256.jpg

IMG_20200418_134541.jpg

IMG_20200418_134532.jpg
Mannn dafuq. Dealer told me 0 chance of me getting one right now due to COVID... Had my DP in since Feb...

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
Mannn dafuq. Dealer told me 0 chance of me getting one right now due to COVID... Had my DP in since Feb...
Wtf..its possible, I called around last week, found dealer that has one coming in, currently sitting at port, expected to dealer within 2weeks. Put deposit on it next day.

islander670

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring (Sold), 2019 Clarity, 2020 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I suggest you take back your down payment and go somewhere else. Either your dealership doesn't have a clue or is trying to push a 2019 on you. I dealt with a dealer like that in February of this year. Their sales manager (what a joke) told me the 2020's are not in production yet when I already knew there were some that were on the way. On the way out, the sales guy was trying to sell me a 2019 with a 10K markup. I told him his SM was full of it and I am no way doing business with them.

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
One of the dealers I contacted in STL area told me they had a 2020 BB coming in and due to rarity...$52K w a few accessories!!! LOL then tried to tell me I wouldn't find one for less...I should go by after I pick mine up for sticker and show them paperwork.

flacobill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 IS500 his, 2020 RR FK7- hers
Country flag

Instagram turbo_vtec_yo

PSX_20200418_180642.jpg
Congrats on the 2020. I think the old blue is better than this new boost blue. I guess it’s an acquired taste. Same with SGP- I just don’t get it. To each their own.. enjoy