Official: 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Specifications & Features, Press Kit, Pricing

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It will be, not probably. This has already been proven in China, where they've had 1.5 turbos with manuals for a while. Journalist tests, as well as official numbers from Honda state the manual is slower, by at least a tenth of a second. One thing the Chinese journalists did say concerning the manual, is that it felt easier to go faster, compared to the CVT.
That seems to be the general scenario with most small turbo engines. I've read other car tests with similarly sized turbo engines mated to manuals and CVT and the manuals were often a touch slower, only because the turbo lags more with the manual than does with the CVT.
Sponsored

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
Why's the curb weight between the CVT and manual different by 66 lbs? On the honda website, the difference between LX sedan with CVT and manual is 9 lbs. I thought the transmissions are the same across all models.

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Journalist tests, as well as official numbers from Honda state the manual is slower, by at least a tenth of a second
I think that's a given without even seeing any tests. A CVT is inherently better for acceleration. Has anyone ever seen ANY car where the manual transmission version accelerated faster than the same car with a CVT (or even an automatic with the same number of gears)?

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think that's a given without even seeing any tests. A CVT is inherently better for acceleration. Has anyone ever seen ANY car where the manual transmission version accelerated faster than the same car with a CVT (or even an automatic with the same number of gears)?
That certainly wasn't the case 10 or even 5 years ago. historically automatics and CVTs were quite a bit slower than their manual counterparts. The 8th and 9th gen civics can attest to this the old 5 speed auto and cvt were slower than the 5 speed manual by more than a second. It's only been recent years that automatics, dct and cvt transmissions started to edge out manuals due mostly to being able to shift faster, add less weight as they get smaller and lighter than they used to be, and prevent power loss between shifts that is a given with a manual. So it's still a relatively new idea to most people that an automatic (stepped, cvt or otherwise) could or would be faster than the manual offering.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
To add to that, manual almost always had one more gear than the auto (4speed auto vs 5 speed manual)

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
The 2.0 6MT for the 16 Civic does 0-60 about a second faster than the CVT version of the same car.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The 2.0 6MT for the 16 Civic does 0-60 about a second faster than the CVT version of the same car.
The turbo definitely makes the difference. It's pretty clear that small turbos pair well with autos/cvt. With naturally aspirated engines, manuals still deliver more direct power and torque curve.

borg79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
To add to that, manual almost always had one more gear than the auto (4speed auto vs 5 speed manual)
I own a 2016 LX 6MT, the shift linkage is quite notchy from first gear to second especially in high rpm range, this might slow down the resilt a bit.

fletan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Anyone know why the Sport trims have less cargo space with seats up?
Sport Exhaust take some room under the car, hence leaving a higher floor in the sport model. I read it somewhere on the internets.......:p
Sponsored