Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ok, maybe it isn't really official, but I have been beating my head off the wall for a while now trying to decide what I want to do with the Si exhaust. It is obvious that a lot of engineering went into the stock muffler and exhaust tip design, due to the fact that it is stupid complicated.

I know that a lot of you have done muffler deletes, muffler swaps, resonator deletes, etc. Looking online, there have been quite a few "Dr Frankensteins" who have, frankly, mutilated the stock exhaust. Not interested in that. I am looking for the most cost effective way to get a deeper, modestly louder sound out of my Si. It is has been shown by @PRL Motorsports that there isn't much power gain to be had with any aftermarket exhaust for this engine so far, so let's face it fellas and ladies, we are all doing this for the sound. How much more sound is the real discussion.

That being said, from what I have seen and heard on Youtube, etc, the best sounding and most cost effective option for me is the resonator delete only. It gives the car a much deeper tone, with a little more volume. A local reputable exhaust shop around here said he can do remove the resonator and replace with low grade stainless for about $150.

If any have JUST removed the resonator, and left mufflers in tact, please post any videos you have: in car, behind car, highway speed, etc. I am curious to know if it causes any drone on the highway at all.
Sponsored

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Ok, maybe it isn't really official, but I have been beating my head off the wall for a while now trying to decide what I want to do with the Si exhaust. It is obvious that a lot of engineering went into the stock muffler and exhaust tip design, due to the fact that it is stupid complicated.

I know that a lot of you have done muffler deletes, muffler swaps, resonator deletes, etc. Looking online, there have been quite a few "Dr Frankensteins" who have, frankly, mutilated the stock exhaust. Not interested in that. I am looking for the most cost effective way to get a deeper, modestly louder sound out of my Si. It is has been shown by @PRL Motorsports that there isn't much power gain to be had with any aftermarket exhaust for this engine so far, so let's face it fellas and ladies, we are all doing this for the sound. How much more sound is the real discussion.

That being said, from what I have seen and heard on Youtube, etc, the best sounding and most cost effective option for me is the resonator delete only. It gives the car a much deeper tone, with a little more volume. A local reputable exhaust shop around here said he can do remove the resonator and replace with low grade stainless for about $150.

If any have JUST removed the resonator, and left mufflers in tact, please post any videos you have: in car, behind car, highway speed, etc. I am curious to know if it causes any drone on the highway at all.

Muffler and resonator delete best way to go and I paid 70 for mine

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Muffler and resonator delete best way to go and I paid 70 for mine
Thanks but I found the muffler delete to be a little too rough and raspy for me. The resonator delete is more mellow and less raspy IMO.

Nickog909

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si and 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
Thanks but I found the muffler delete to be a little too rough and raspy for me. The resonator delete is more mellow and less raspy IMO.
Then go far whatever is to ur liking bro good luck

thatwhiteSi

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
I am also thinking about a muffler delete but I am not sure yet. I am worried it is going to sound like shit. I can't seem to find any videos on youtube with just a resonator delete.

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I am also thinking about a muffler delete but I am not sure yet. I am worried it is going to sound like shit. I can't seem to find any videos on youtube with just a resonator delete.
This is the best one I could find, since it shows how stock, resonator delete, and muffler delete sound. It is from @Tafester .

Last edited:

Beater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 4Runner
Country flag
I may be one of the few here that like the stock exhaust sound, but I did run into this video of a custom exhaust set up:

Enjoy!

Reactions: R17
OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I may be one of the few here that like the stock exhaust sound, but I did run into this video of a custom exhaust set up:

Enjoy!
Yeah I saw this one, thanks. Not sure what they did, other than pipe back from the resonator to some aftermarket tips. And 8-10 hp gains? Best exhaust ever, if that is the case, but I am sure they have nothing to back up the claim. Also 1.5mpg increase? You see the car they fitted that on? 187 miles. No way they did a before and after MPG comparison. Either way, they are a custom fit shop on the west coast, far from me.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I've decided to do a Flowmaster 60-series Delta Flow, as that's the only muffler that Flowmaster has that's tuned for 4-cylinder engines. The LAST thing I want for it to sound like is a gigantic fart going down the road. The guy at Flowmaster said that I could always just replace the muffler and leave the resonator installed, and if it's not loud enough I could delete the resonator later. I called my local muffler shop - they install the cat-back system on my 2003 Jeep Wrangler for me - and said sure, they will be happy to take a look under the car, see what's what, and make recommendations. That's next month; I already did a CAI and have yet to make the first payment. :oops:

OP
OP
jakabony

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've decided to do a Flowmaster 60-series Delta Flow, as that's the only muffler that Flowmaster has that's tuned for 4-cylinder engines. The LAST thing I want for it to sound like is a gigantic fart going down the road. The guy at Flowmaster said that I could always just replace the muffler and leave the resonator installed, and if it's not loud enough I could delete the resonator later. I called my local muffler shop - they install the cat-back system on my 2003 Jeep Wrangler for me - and said sure, they will be happy to take a look under the car, see what's what, and make recommendations. That's next month; I already did a CAI and have yet to make the first payment. :oops:
I actually brought the specs from that exact muffler to a local shop. He said it would be tricky to make it right, but anything can be done. I want to keep the factory exhaust tip (cleaner look IMO), and he stated that is where it is tricky. There isn't a whole lot of room to get that muffler in, and weld the factory tip to a fabricated splitter. If the Flowmaster came with a dual output option, it would be a lot easier. If you are going with an aftermarket tip, it shouldn't be a ton of work.

Luckyarmpit

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf R, 2003 Wrangler TJ
Country flag
I actually brought the specs from that exact muffler to a local shop. He said it would be tricky to make it right, but anything can be done. I want to keep the factory exhaust tip (cleaner look IMO), and he stated that is where it is tricky. There isn't a whole lot of room to get that muffler in, and weld the factory tip to a fabricated splitter. If the Flowmaster came with a dual output option, it would be a lot easier. If you are going with an aftermarket tip, it shouldn't be a ton of work.
Yeah, I thought about that too. I want to keep the stock tip. I'm sure it can be done, it will just not be cheap is my guess if it will take a lot of custom pipe fabrication.

y2kprofesor

First Name
marius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Muffler delete is amazing I love mine. After I got my no PRL cat downpipe it became some what loud but ok. Cruising at 60mph in 6th you cant even tell there is no mufflers but as soon as you downshift and turbo spools and the SI sounds like a monster.