OEM Updated Canadian Battery - 2016 - 2018 Civic (All models)

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I should say all models except for the Hybrid.

I wanted to change my battery before winter. I tried Costco and Canadian Tire group 35 batteries, but my stock battery hold downs wouldn't fit. I didn't want to bother buying a bunch of extra parts to make it fit, So I figured I'll just buy it from Honda.

To my surprise they upgraded the batteries. OEM (31500-TBA-A01) used to be 550 CCA. Now (31500-TBA-H650) it's 650 CCA. The battery was built 7/19, so it's fairly new.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Updated Canadian Battery - 2016 - 2018 Civic (All models) image1 copy

Check out under Civic 2016 - 2018. Group 47, 650 CCA, 800 CA, 100 RC.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Updated Canadian Battery - 2016 - 2018 Civic (All models) image2

Old vs New.

So, if you want to change your battery before winter get the new part number.

One question I had.. Maybe @charleswrivers can answer.. it came with a 90 degree elbow vent and a vent plug. Do I need to install this or can I just leave it alone? I only saw one vent and it's there on the top near the handle, but it was already blocked.

Last edited:

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I wanted to change my battery before winter. I tried Costco and Canadian Tire group 35 batteries, but my stock battery hold downs wouldn't fit. I didn't want to bother buying a bunch of extra parts to make it fit, So I figured I'll just buy it from Honda.

To my surprise they upgraded the batteries. OEM (31500-TBA-A01) used to be 550 CCA. Now (31500-TBA-H650) it's 650 CCA. The battery was built 7/19, so it's fairly new.

image1 copy.jpg

image2.jpeg

Old vs New.

One question I had.. Maybe @charleswrivers can answer.. it came with a 90 degree elbow vent and a vent plug. Do I need to install this or can I just leave it alone? I only saw one vent and it's there on the top near the handle, but it was already blocked.
Just eyeballing the picture... if that's a hole going into the cell... yes. I'm not sure if that's a flooded or AGM battery. AGM battery's vents are integral to them being sealed but having a relief path so you don't swell the jar if pressure gets too high... but keep the H2 and O2 inside the cell so O2 recombination cycle works. Otherwise, the cell will gas and since they're not made to refill, the capacity will immediately fall out. If it's flooded... it's probably acting more as a vent path/flash arrestor. Flooded batteries will gas and can (should) get refilled with distilled water occasionally... especially if you live in a hot enviroment. If the electrolyte level drops below the top of the plates, you're no longer using the full surface area of the plate and the current capacity (cranking amps) is dropping and the lead because less usable even if you re-immerse it from it's exposure to air.

I'm honestly not familiar with removable vents on automotive batteries, only big marine ones. Still, it if came with a vent, it should be used.

OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Just eyeballing the picture... if that's a hole going into the cell... yes. I'm not sure if that's a flooded or AGM battery. AGM battery's vents are integral to them being sealed but having a relief path so you don't swell the jar if pressure gets too high... but keep the H2 and O2 inside the cell so O2 recombination cycle works. Otherwise, the cell will gas and since they're not made to refill, the capacity will immediately fall out. If it's flooded... it's probably acting more as a vent path/flash arrestor. Flooded batteries will gas and can (should) get refilled with distilled water occasionally... especially if you live in a hot enviroment. If the electrolyte level drops below the top of the plates, you're no longer using the full surface area of the plate and the current capacity (cranking amps) is dropping and the lead because less usable even if you re-immerse it from it's exposure to air.

I'm honestly not familiar with removable vents on automotive batteries, only big marine ones. Still, it if came with a vent, it should be used.

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, I guess I'll have to figure out how to remove that plastic cover then.

OP
OP

250GTCalifornia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
In case anybody else reads this the vent holes are on the side of the battery near the top. There are two on each side. I read that if the battery is in the passenger compartment you should vent one and plug one, but if the battery is in the engine compartment you leave both open.

The top clear hole near the handle is for something else. No idea what though.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
My 2017 civic EX battery just died. 4 months after the warranty expired. I think the accessory mode killed it, I should have killed it earlier while it was still under warranty.

Is there an easy way to upgrade to a 35 group battery instead of the stock 47 group battery? The 47 group battery is $200 plus tax at the dealership.

razz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sentra
Country flag
I should say all models except for the Hybrid.

image1 copy.jpg

image2.jpeg

Old vs New.

Are the new Honda Batteries lead-acid or AGM?