OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R #00969 BLK, 2015 Nissan 370Z Roadster (BLK), 2019 Civic Si Modern Steel Metalic
Country flag
Hi there! I've owned my CTR since June of 2017 (#00969) and I have about 11,000 miles on her. Will be storing for the winter in a month or so and I was thinking when I get her out in spring I may have to look at replacing my OEM tires. I haven't tracked the car (why not???) so I only have normal wear for the 11K miles. Tires are suppose to last 10K, but they still look pretty good.

Curious if others have replaced their OEM tires due to normal wear, at how many miles did you do this, and what did you replace the OEM tires with? I will probably go with the stock OEM tires for replacement, but wanted other opinions.
Sponsored

GraphiteAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I have been planning this for a bit but I have awhile until I replace mine.

I'm going with RE71r's on the OEM wheels.

RedGiant217

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Honda Accord
Country flag
Mine lasted about 13k miles before I got a bubble in one sidewall. Went to 18in wheels with Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
I haven't yet, but my buddy has a CTR with just under 10k and his tires are about gone. All depends on how you drive it.

PwrOfDreams

It ain't a Type R then it ain't a tight car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Other
Country flag
I had my tires last 22.5k miles before I had to replace them due to the fact that they are at the wear bars and traction was not good anymore. It was primarily used in daily driving traffic and highway cruising.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 883D8782-2EEC-486C-BB38-2052F41AC288

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 76110DB9-91A9-472A-8E57-0CA30F39C176

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? BDED02F0-D95A-44E4-803F-2CB15FF9F5F6

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 9EBF6A91-99F4-46A2-AE7B-4B20D306A04F

lid6662

First Name
matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R
Country flag
I might have to next summer !! We shall see. Not sure what brand but thats not till next year haha

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
The OEM tires are terrible in every aspect. The fact they wear so incredibly fast, while providing average grip, boggles my mind. I don't know how Continental engineered such a bad tire. I also don't understand why it is so incredibly expensive. There's no justification for it.

For best bang for your buck, the Bridgestone Potenza 71Rs are very hard to beat. If you have a bit more money at your disposal, the Michelin PS4S are a great buy, also.

To those of you who want to get the most mileage out of a set of tires, buy the widest tire your rim will fit. Going up from a 245 to a 255 or 265 tire helps distribute the weight more, meaning a slightly bigger contact patch on the pavement- more weight distribution. This will help reduce overall tire wear. And for the record, yes, you can safely fit a 265 tire even on an 8.5" rim, without any issues.

The only downside to going with a wider tire is slightly reduced fuel economy vs a narrower tire. But if you have lightweight rims, you can still come out ahead of the stock behemoth OEM wheels/tires.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
My car has ~3950 miles and both of my fronts are at the wear bars in the center of the tire- the front right is also chunked. 2x20 minutes sessions on track just destroyed them.

Rears have about 50% life remaining. My commute is about 8 miles roundtrip, 75% highway, 25% surface streets. Of my 4k miles, probably 1-1.5k of it has been aggressive driving (mountain runs/1 track day).

I replaced mine right at about 10k miles. They likely would have lasted another 200-300 tops.

I replaced mine with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. These tires have much higher performance than the OEM tires(Continental Sport Contact 6) in every measurable category and last 30,000 miles instead of 10k. No brainer.

It would be a huge waste of money getting OEM tires again when much better longer lasting tires are around the same price.
Counterpoint - you can pick up a set of barely used OEM wheels and tires for like ~$800. That's a good bit cheaper than Michelin Pilot Sport 4S/Cup 2, plus you wind up with an extra set of wheels that have some value left. Effectively paying ~$400 for a new set of OEM tires. Agreed on Michelins being better, but they aren't $800 better ($400 vs. $1200).

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
100% agree that downsizing on wheels is a solid choice.
Not downsizing - buying the OEM 20" wheels of someone who has. The OEM wheels are worth ~$100 each, so if you get a set of 4 OEM 20" wheels+tires with delivery miles on it for $800 (like I did), you are effectively paying $400 for a set of 4 OEM tires (normally $325/ea).

Yes, you can also downsize, which is also not a bad idea, since 18"/19" tires are super cheap compared to 20".

zcEF

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
My tires lasted 20k km (~12.5k miles) with 2 track days. I wanted to use every last shred of tire before I swapped because I knew it was inevitably coming up. I dropped to 18s and bought some 265/35 9.5 Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs and holy, the OEMs are in no comparison to these (obviously). Couldn't be happier with my decision as with the rim and tire package it was only a couple hundred dollars more than buying brand new OEMs on the 20s. Sorry I'm not the best photographer.

Do it.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 20190914_182114

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 20190914_184446

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 20190915_155357

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? 20190915_155455

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
My car has ~3950 miles and both of my fronts are at the wear bars in the center of the tire- the front right is also chunked. 2x20 minutes sessions on track just destroyed them.

Rears have about 50% life remaining. My commute is about 8 miles roundtrip, 75% highway, 25% surface streets. Of my 4k miles, probably 1-1.5k of it has been aggressive driving (mountain runs/1 track day).

Counterpoint - you can pick up a set of barely used OEM wheels and tires for like ~$800. That's a good bit cheaper than Michelin Pilot Sport 4S/Cup 2, plus you wind up with an extra set of wheels that have some value left. Effectively paying ~$400 for a new set of OEM tires. Agreed on Michelins being better, but they aren't $800 better ($400 vs. $1200).
Counterpoint (lol)- you spend $800 on used wheels and tires (I haven't seen any great condition sets going for that cheap- probably only comes up once in a blue moon), and you still end up with tires with poor grip and terrible tread wear... And if you DD your car or track it, you won't get that much mileage out of them anyway.

Yeah, you have a second set of OEM wheels which is a good thing, but, they'll just be taking garage space up until you sell them one day. And I don't know who is interested in these wheels for any car besides the CTR. And selling the wheels with no rubber becomes a bit harder- because the new owner needs to drop big bucks for 20 inch tires on wheels that most nobody really even wants.

willskiGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #26262
Country flag
Counterpoint (lol)- you spend $800 on used wheels and tires (I haven't seen any great condition sets going for that cheap- probably only comes up once in a blue moon), and you still end up with tires with poor grip and terrible tread wear... And if you DD your car or track it, you won't get that much mileage out of them anyway.

Yeah, you have a second set of OEM wheels which is a good thing, but, they'll just be taking garage space up until you sell them one day. And I don't know who is interested in these wheels for any car besides the CTR. And selling the wheels with no rubber becomes a bit harder- because the new owner needs to drop big bucks for 20 inch tires on wheels that most nobody really even wants.
Maybe not in Canada, but I easily found a set with <100 miles on them for $800. They are a dime a dozen down here.

My commute is super short (8 miles round trip), so 10k miles of commuting is literally 5 years of tire life for me. I don't find the grip to be bad - they are 240TW tires, so they do grip pretty well. They are just noisy and wear ultra fast.

But yeah, good point that the wheels are a tough sell (hence the super cheap $100 price point). I have a huge storage shed and a 1400 square foot basement, so storage space at least isn't a concern.

R-10552

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura RDX Aspec, 2019 Civic Si (wife's)
Country flag
The OEM wheels are going to be expensive as fuck in 10 years based on how disposable everyone treats them today.
Yea, right? Good point. I got a great deal on a set with a couple thousand miles. Hopefully I can use the tires before they dry rot. lol

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? IMG_0238.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear? IMG_0237.JPG

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Maybe not in Canada, but I easily found a set with <100 miles on them for $800. They are a dime a dozen down here.

My commute is super short (8 miles round trip), so 10k miles of commuting is literally 5 years of tire life for me. I don't find the grip to be bad - they are 240TW tires, so they do grip pretty well. They are just noisy and wear ultra fast.

But yeah, good point that the wheels are a tough sell (hence the super cheap $100 price point). I have a huge storage shed and a 1400 square foot basement, so storage space at least isn't a concern.
Lol, they do not grip well at all, once you compare them to a much better tire. They're the weakest link of the entire suspension setup the CTR has. They're alright if you don't push your car hard... but then it's kind of a waste to buy a CTR for handling, but you don't overly push it. To each their own, I suppose. I'm not hating, but pretty much any car under 50k USD has budget tires on them. Manufacturers try to balance everything from comfort, road noise, dry handling, wet handling, wear, price point, etc to fit as wide a group of vehicle purchasers as possible. I often feel like tires are the very last decision made on a car- they have everything figured out and then go "oh, shoot... we still need tires!" and find whatever option fits the car's remaining budget.

Treadwear ratings are misleading, also. Scientifically, It's inaccurate. I had sets of Bridgestone Potenza RE-11As on a few of my past cars and they also came with a lower, 200TW rating... and yet on two different sets, on two different cars, I was able to get way more mileage out of them than these OEM Continentals with a higher tread rating. Also, Michelin PS4S tires are rated at a 300TW rating... and yet they are warrantied to last 3 times as long as the OEM Continentals. How does that make any sense, lol? All I'm saying is don't put too much faith in that number.

I wonder about the value of the OEM wheels eventually going up, but it will depend on a few factors- looking back, I think ITR wheels are pretty popular still when people switch their Civics/Integras from 4-lug to 5-lug bolt patterns. But at the same time, it seems the majority of ITR owners rarely if ever ride on their OEM wheels. Most have aftermarket setups. And now that I think about it, I don't even know what the market is for ITR wheels- do people really want small, terrible offset wheels, really badly? One thing is for certain- they sold way less ITRs from 97-01, than Honda sold CTRs in just 2017. They are by far a much rarer wheel and that in itself might make them desirable. There might be a time, 12-15 years from now, where people do want our OEM wheels... but that is a long time away still. And there's no guarantee of that either.

Truth be told, I too will end up buying another set of the OEM wheels- they'll just sit in my garage likely forever. I'm shocked how poor the paint quality is on our wheels- mine have never seen winter conditions, and yet the paint just seems to have taken a massive beating. All I want is one totally mint set- for when I sell the car one day. I feel a completely stock and well maintained car is worth more than any modified car.
Sponsored