OEM Tires - Have you replaced due to wear?

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Hey thanks for the reply and great 19" rim options! Yes like you I would only consider 19" x 60mm ish for aftermarket rims for my CTR
TEGIWA seems to have what I'm looking for with looks and a reasonable price. Only issue is I couldn't find the weight of the wheel. You dont consider 275 too wide for rolling resistance?
I was considering 255 max
I am not sure what you are looking at on the Tegiwa website, but from what I see all the wheels they have with the +60mm are OEM wheels. They are all 8.5" wide, so a 275 is too big for that size rim.

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
And I don't know the weight, but it is an OEM wheel of the same design as the FK8 wheels. So it might be tough, but it ain't light.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
A 255 wide tire is the recommended max size for a 8 1/2" rim. I'm assuming FK2 rim is a tad lighter
than the OEM CTR rim A 255 wide tire would be the max size I would put on my CTR

WrongWayWade

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
A 255 wide tire is the recommended max size for a 8 1/2" rim. I'm assuming FK2 rim is a tad lighter
than the OEM CTR rim A 255 wide tire would be the max size I would put on my CTR
I just got new rubber for my CTR. Wheels are 19x8.5 (FlowOne F4, 34 offset) and tires are 255/35ZR19. You can tell they are a bit offset outside, but no rubbing and I would think the wider track and wider contact patch should give a bit more cornering performance. The sidewalls are nicely vertical from the rim; the 245/35ZR19s leaned inward somewhat from the rim to the tread. The speedometer reads almost exactly perfect.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I just got new rubber for my CTR. Wheels are 19x8.5 (FlowOne F4, 34 offset) and tires are 255/35ZR19. You can tell they are a bit offset outside, but no rubbing and I would think the wider track and wider contact patch should give a bit more cornering performance. The sidewalls are nicely vertical from the rim; the 245/35ZR19s leaned inward somewhat from the rim to the tread. The speedometer reads almost exactly perfect.
Sounds like a very nice setup. What tire brand did you end up with? Are the rims forged aluminium?
I personally would still like to get closer to stock offset if possible, maybe 55mm

Gauntle

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda TypeR fk8
Country flag
Hi
I bought M ps4s with Oem Size after 15k miles on Conti Tires
My english is bad so i keep it short:

This applies to OEM setup car, no modifications:

If you using type R daily - Michelin ps4s are best option now and Honda is switching to Michelins in new Type-R.
Or if you modified yr car - you make more power - M ps4s are much better option than Contis because you wil shreed Oems within fev k miles now - Michelins will handle it much better.

Pros( oem car setup) :
- superior ride quality ( its like comfort + when you are on sport mode)
- reduced noise
- nice Grip from the start , super confidence in corners compared to Contis.
- impresive durability compred to Oems.
- Much more stable in different weather conditions ( Oems - useless - in autumn when temperature falls around 40f + wet road... )

Cons ( oem car setup setup):
- car accelerates slower , no more 0,99G , no more crazy third gear pull
- slower stering response - feels like VW GTI.
- Lower max speed.
- less precise , less agressive ride than Oem.

So , if you using yr car Daily or/and you modified it already - Michelins are super good investment.

If Type - R is your weekend "fun" car - Michelins will take away some character fromt his car...
--> Oems are best pick aspecially if you dont plan to modify your car.

Hope it helps somebody
Best Regards,
Tom

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I've got mine to 23,000 km (14.2k miles) on the original Conti's. Still have 4/32 on the fronts and 5/32 on rears after last rotation.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
In one of the infrequent rains we've had lately I noticed quite a bit of aquaplaning with my OEM (14.5k miles) tires.
Looking at them, they're getting real close to the wear bars.
I already have another set of Contis with less than 1,000 miles on them. I was just hoping to get through this summer with the originals. Guess not.

I've been happy with the performance of the Contis. That's why I have another set.

I know many people like the PS4S. My son has them on his CTR. I've had them on a WRX. For me, they're OK, but not all that special.

Last edited:

Rfabianfk82020

First Name
Rence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have about 15k on my original and I’m going to get new wheels and tires soon. But I’m going to keep my wheels and just put new tires on them so I have an extra set.

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I'm hoping the SportContact7's reach out shores before I need to replace mine. Based on the Euro reviews its superior to the Pilot Sport 4S
Sponsored