EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R (RR), 2013 Chevy Volt
Country flag
Purchased the OEM Outdoor car cover for my Type R early spring; it seemed great for the first month or so, but then I started noticing sometimes when I uncovered it, my car would have this light dusty film on the upward surfaces. More time passes, and I started noticing that it happens anytime I uncover the car after it's rained and dried out. I've seen the cover take on rain and I know it's fairly repellent because I've seen water pool up between the roof and wing at times, but maybe it's not repelling everything?

So far my working theory as that some water manages to make it through the cover, it dries, and leaves the "water droplet"dirt particles behind, except because it somehow got through the cover, it's not droplets, it's just kinda sheet-like...

So my big question here, is this normal? Anyone else with this cover, or any other outdoor car cover for that matter, have this experience? This is my first outdoor cover for a vehicle, so I'm unsure what realistic expectations are, but I'm a little irritated that I have to take detailing spray out and re-clean my car when I uncover it...

Photos below for reference

**Disclaimers
- I'm pretty meticulous about keeping the car cleaned; I always wash it by hand, and I always make sure I clean it before re-covering it
- R is my second car, I generally drive it only on weekends, so it sits covered most the week.
- I rent, and I'm still on the wait list for a garage, so a garage isn't an option (thus, why I bought the cover)
- Live in the midwest, if location means anything here

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_3299

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_3300

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_3301

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_3302.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_3303.PNG

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? IMG_2934

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Purchased the OEM Outdoor car cover for my Type R early spring; it seemed great for the first month or so, but then I started noticing sometimes when I uncovered it, my car would have this light dusty film on the upward surfaces. More time passes, and I started noticing that it happens anytime I uncover the car after it's rained and dried out. I've seen the cover take on rain and I know it's fairly repellent because I've seen water pool up between the roof and wing at times, but maybe it's not repelling everything?

So far my working theory as that some water manages to make it through the cover, it dries, and leaves the "water droplet"dirt particles behind, except because it somehow got through the cover, it's not droplets, it's just kinda sheet-like...

So my big question here, is this normal? Anyone else with this cover, or any other outdoor car cover for that matter, have this experience? This is my first outdoor cover for a vehicle, so I'm unsure what realistic expectations are, but I'm a little irritated that I have to take detailing spray out and re-clean my car when I uncover it...

Photos below for reference

**Disclaimers
- I'm pretty meticulous about keeping the car cleaned; I always wash it by hand, and I always make sure I clean it before re-covering it
- R is my second car, I generally drive it only on weekends, so it sits covered most the week.
- I rent, and I'm still on the wait list for a garage, so a garage isn't an option (thus, why I bought the cover)
- Live in the midwest, if location means anything here

IMG_3299.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

IMG_3301.jpg

IMG_3302.PNG

IMG_3303.PNG

IMG_2934.jpg
You stated it's OEM, but is there a tag indicating what brand/manufacturer it is? I.E. Covercraft. Back in 95, I bought an Acura oem cover for my GSR and it was made by Covercraft that had several different layers of material for varying degrees of protection and weather. See if there is a name and look up and see which materials it is made from. Also, how are you securing it underneath the vehicle? I used a cable and padlock through the grommets and depending on how windy it would get (damn Santa Ana winds) debris/dust would still make its way in.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Actually cover can scratch up the paint that leaving it unprotected. I leave my car without any cover as the parking is covered parking

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It looks to me that its allowing dirt and water to permiate through, carrying with it dirt and particles. OEM does not always mean the best, far from it, its usually subcontracted out to other manufacturers for a bulk purchase. I'd put OEM accessory things like this as mid tier level protection - well made for the body lines and sizing, but its likely not up to snuff to the other high end car covers on the market from covercraft and other brands. that could also be dirt thats already on your car and as the rain goes through the cover, it pushes all the dirt into certain areas making it look dirtier than it was when in reality its just the same amount just localized in one spot.

OP
OP
EPICbg

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You stated it's OEM, but is there a tag indicating what brand/manufacturer it is? I.E. Covercraft. Back in 95, I bought an Acura oem cover for my GSR and it was made by Covercraft that had several different layers of material for varying degrees of protection and weather. See if there is a name and look up and see which materials it is made from. Also, how are you securing it underneath the vehicle? I used a cable and padlock through the grommets and depending on how windy it would get (damn Santa Ana winds) debris/dust would still make its way in.

Good question. I will go out and check tomorrow to see if I can find a manufacturer tag. I did initially consider getting a Covercraft cover, but I was concerned about fitment as the site only listed "civic", and with the Type R's wider fenders and big wing, I wasn't willing to test it out.

For securement, the elastic around the front lip and rear bumper are pretty good, but I do have bungee cord (well, 2 latched cords) I use to secure it. The cord length is "snug" as it just slightly touches the ground beneath the car, but holds the cover down. I have also been a bit thankful to have them as I've come out twice now after some windy storms to find the rear of the cover flipped up and stuck above the rear wing.

OP
OP
EPICbg

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Actually cover can scratch up the paint that leaving it unprotected. I leave my car without any cover as the parking is covered parking
I held this mental debate before deciding to get the cover. Until I can get a garage, there is no covered option where I live. Even though I'm meticulous in keeping it clean, I know micro-scratches will still happen, and I'm willing to sacrifice that in regards to general weather protection and UV/paint fade protection.

I've also decided to get the car detailed and wrapped (Phoenix yellow) in a couple years, so.. :cool:

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I held this mental debate before deciding to get the cover. Until I can get a garage, there is no covered option where I live. Even though I'm meticulous in keeping it clean, I know micro-scratches will still happen, and I'm willing to sacrifice that in regards to general weather protection and UV/paint fade protection.

I've also decided to get the car detailed and wrapped (Phoenix yellow) in a couple years, so.. :cool:
A good wax after cleaning should help to protect your car from micro scratches and weather fading unless you are not cleaning for months.

Nice color choice for wrap :headbang:

OP
OP
EPICbg

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Good question. I will go out and check tomorrow to see if I can find a manufacturer tag. I did initially consider getting a Covercraft cover, but I was concerned about fitment as the site only listed "civic", and with the Type R's wider fenders and big wing, I wasn't willing to test it out.

For securement, the elastic around the front lip and rear bumper are pretty good, but I do have bungee cord (well, 2 latched cords) I use to secure it. The cord length is "snug" as it just slightly touches the ground beneath the car, but holds the cover down. I have also been a bit thankful to have them as I've come out twice now after some windy storms to find the rear of the cover flipped up and stuck above the rear wing.
following up, checked and couldn’t find any distinguishing tags or marks. It is folded up in the hatch though. I will try to search again when I can pull it out and spread it out.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i would email covercraft if that's the choice you go with and see how they accommodate your Type R - let them know your concern and see what they can do. Alot of the measurements they do are quite well fitting - i bought their "NOAH" line for my 06 Silverado. LOVE it. Also it looks like they do have a model for the type R in that lineup for right around $300

https://www.covercraft.com/us/en/product/custom-noah-car-cover.C-CCNH

i bought mine from another source though as i saved a few dollars - the mirrors are the only thing im dissapointed in but hey - theres too many trucks with or without towing mirrors its a tiny complaint.

Heres my truck
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? silverado car cover

OP
OP
EPICbg

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Took another look, here are the only tags I can find on my OEM cover. :confused: Doesn’t really denote the actual manufacturer...

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? 9C98CFC9-9524-4043-9AF0-25D976A574B4

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM Outdoor Car Cover - Not protecting? CF509B87-CE8A-46A8-B352-A46485187F52

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
hm looking at that OEM car cover, it looks about the same as mine to be honest, id be curious to know more about it ( how many layers it is and whatnot ) - it may be better than i thought it was

bushido69

First Name
Hiro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Type R, 2012 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport, 2012 Mazda CX-9 GT, 2002 Lexus ES300
Country flag
Took another look, here are the only tags I can find on my OEM cover. :confused: Doesn’t really denote the actual manufacturer...

9C98CFC9-9524-4043-9AF0-25D976A574B4.jpeg

CF509B87-CE8A-46A8-B352-A46485187F52.jpeg
Have u tried scanning the QR code?

OP
OP
EPICbg

EPICbg

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ahh.. Didn't think of that. I will try that and follow up

Scanned the QR code and apparently it's a phone number? My phone prompted a phone call to
0-063-544-2951. I didn't try calling it, but... yeah, odd that it wasn't a website.
Sponsored