Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
at what point should i be looking to invest in a cvt oil cooler? cuz i’m running a phearable tune right now but idk if i’m pushing enough power to justify a cvt oil cooler purchase
What other mods are you running?

If you're on the fence about it, just take a couple weeks to drive around like you normally do but keep an eye on your trans temp. If they are constantly 200+ then you might wanna think about it. If you never see it go above 200 then there's not really a need for it in my opinion.
Sponsored

disc1pline

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' sport touring hatch
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
What other mods are you running?

If you're on the fence about it, just take a couple weeks to drive around like you normally do but keep an eye on your trans temp. If they are constantly 200+ then you might wanna think about it. If you never see it go above 200 then there's not really a need for it in my opinion.
my only other power related mod is a mishimoto intake

how do i monitor trans temp on my ktuner v2 unit? is it ECT?

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
my only other power related mod is a mishimoto intake

how do i monitor trans temp on my ktuner v2 unit? is it ECT?
There should be a variable labeled "trans temp". You might need an update, plug it into your PC and check for an update through the Ktuner app.

disc1pline

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' sport touring hatch
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
There should be a variable labeled "trans temp". You might need an update, plug it into your PC and check for an update through the Ktuner app.
ive been monitoring my trans temp for about a week now and notice that itll go 200-215 if i drive hard enough. my engine coolant temp never goes above 185 though. im considering purchasing a cvt oil cooler but im not in any rush to get one. how hard was the installation for you? if i had to pick between an intercooler vs cvt oil cooler which one would be the better option?

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
ive been monitoring my trans temp for about a week now and notice that itll go 200-215 if i drive hard enough. my engine coolant temp never goes above 185 though. im considering purchasing a cvt oil cooler but im not in any rush to get one. how hard was the installation for you? if i had to pick between an intercooler vs cvt oil cooler which one would be the better option?
200-215 isn't too bad. My install was a little harder than yours would be. The included brackets should make your install extremely easy once you get the front bumper removed, but since my PRL CAI is located where the CVT cooler was designed to be installed I had to mount mine to the front crash bar which required some slight modification to the brackets.

I bought both the CVT cooler and intercooler at the same time, but they serve two completely different purposes. The CVT cooler doesn't provide any performance increase, but it definitely helps with peace of mind and longevity of the CVT. The intercooler on the other hand does offer some performance increase by keeping air temps low and enabling more repeatable hard pulls.

I would say get the CVT cooler first as it's cheaper, then save up a bit longer for the intercooler but it's up to you.

disc1pline

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' sport touring hatch
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
200-215 isn't too bad. My install was a little harder than yours would be. The included brackets should make your install extremely easy once you get the front bumper removed, but since my PRL CAI is located where the CVT cooler was designed to be installed I had to mount mine to the front crash bar which required some slight modification to the brackets.

I bought both the CVT cooler and intercooler at the same time, but they serve two completely different purposes. The CVT cooler doesn't provide any performance increase, but it definitely helps with peace of mind and longevity of the CVT. The intercooler on the other hand does offer some performance increase by keeping air temps low and enabling more repeatable hard pulls.

I would say get the CVT cooler first as it's cheaper, then save up a bit longer for the intercooler but it's up to you.
you lowkey convinced me on the ETL cvt cooler so i went on their website today and noticed they're having a sale! i can get the whole unit for $200 which is pretty enticing but then i saw a review and they mentioned

' The Sensor, if you have lane migration and lane assist it will interfere with the sensor and wont work. I don't use it so its not a big deal, but something I will have to modify later or replace radiator for the cooler in a different place. '

i have lane migration and lane assist on my sport touring. is there a way to mount this cvt cooler without jeopardizing those features?

also if i got an ETL cooler and decided to maybe get a mishimoto intercooler later down the road, do you think i would encounter any compatibility issues?

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey, I installed mine in front as well as the CAI was in the way so I mounted it on the black bar and crash bar right behind the Honda emblem on the bumper,
77893CCC-C5E2-44E6-BD44-D3E02025AF7E.jpeg
I don't have any pics of my install, but @With_extra_salt posted this picture which is pretty similar to where I mounted mine. It just requires you to drill extra holes in your crash bar and maybe in the included brackets to get it to fit just right.

To answer the intercooler question: No there should be no compatibility issues at all. They're two different systems and I was able to run my PRL charge pipes without any interference with my cooler.

With_extra_salt

Threads
Reaction score
Website
daydreamersco.com
Vehicle(s)
Bagged 2020 Civic Ex Hatch
Country flag
I don't have any pics of my install, but @With_extra_salt posted this picture which is pretty similar to where I mounted mine. It just requires you to drill extra holes in your crash bar and maybe in the included brackets to get it to fit just right.

To answer the intercooler question: No there should be no compatibility issues at all. They're two different systems and I was able to run my PRL charge pipes without any interference with my cooler.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM or "High Torque" CVT Fluid 8A1C2A60-7ACA-4AB1-A66B-BA6D12914EE9

here’s an updated picture of where the cooler sits, got a mesh grill for more airflow

OP
OP
nicholasyeti

nicholasyeti

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I also bought the ETL cooler kit and mounted it in a similar place. Works decent so far but its not receiving a lot of airflow behind the stock grill so I will be purchasing a mesh grill also. Temps for me got up to 215 after extreme driving with the cooler but I will be adding another generic radiator in series right next to the ETL cooler along with the mesh grill, cooling should hopefully no longer be a problem again.
Sponsored