nicholasyeti

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I'm wondering if I should change my CVT fluid with the OEM Honda HCF-2 fluid or if I should use some of the fluid that is advertised for better longevity and performance with higher torque CVT's. I currently have a 2021 Civic EX making around 250 torque which apparently is the edge of safe torque numbers to run through our CVT. I was wondering if maybe the high torque fluid would actually help or is it unnecessary? Am I better off just using OEM? I am also considering buying an ETL CVT oil cooler because I heard heat is the main killer of CVT's so it would make sense that a cooler would definitely help longevity.
Any information, opinions, or advice is appreciated!
Sponsored

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic EX-T sedan 1.5T Cvt
Country flag
do you have a ktuner v2.0? i just mind my temps and don't push it when it gets above 210-215ish. oem fluid, cvt fluid changed every 20-25k

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
do you have a ktuner v2.0? i just mind my temps and don't push it when it gets above 210-215ish. oem fluid, cvt fluid changed every 20-25k
I installed the ETL CVT cooler awhile back when I did my intercooler. Since then my temps have not gone above 200. They usually sit around 175-195 depending on the outside temp and how hard I'm pushing the car.

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I installed the ETL CVT cooler awhile back when I did my intercooler. Since then my temps have not gone above 200. They usually sit around 175-195 depending on the outside temp and how hard I'm pushing the car.
I would go with this as well but the mounting location they use is where my PRL cobra intake is. Could run custom lines and mount it on/near the crash bar perhaps.

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I would go with this as well but the mounting location they use is where my PRL cobra intake is. Could run custom lines and mount it on/near the crash bar perhaps.
I also have the PRL CAI. I wish I had pictures of after the install but I installed it here:

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM or "High Torque" CVT Fluid Untitled

I drilled an extra hole in the included bracket and into the crash bar then bolted it on. I did have to bend the brackets a bit so that the cooler leans slightly back in order to not hit the front grille when installed. But so far it's worked perfect for 10k+ miles.

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also have the PRL CAI. I wish I had pictures of after the install but I installed it here:

Untitled.png

I drilled an extra hole in the included bracket and into the crash bar then bolted it on. I did have to bend the brackets a bit so that the cooler leans slightly back in order to not hit the front grille when installed. But so far it's worked perfect for 10k+ miles.
hmm I might consider it then, plan to upgrade fmic eventually so would do that at the same time the bumper is off. Gosh I hate taking that bumper off.. I got a clip tool now so its a bit more bearable.

Pe0plez

First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
hmm I might consider it then, plan to upgrade fmic eventually so would do that at the same time the bumper is off. Gosh I hate taking that bumper off.. I got a clip tool now so its a bit more bearable.
I personally think it's worth it for the longevity of the car.

As for the fluid, I just use the OEM honda fluid with a little extra added in to include the added lines + cooler.

OP
OP
nicholasyeti

nicholasyeti

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I have a Ktuner 1.2
My build is:
Cobra Street CAI
Phearable Stage 2.5 flex fuel tune
High flow cat downpipe
PRL E85 Kit

Tac3403

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a Ktuner 1.2
My build is:
Cobra Street CAI
Phearable Stage 2.5 flex fuel tune
High flow cat downpipe
PRL E85 Kit
I would maintain your fluid possibly do shorter intervals like every 3rd oil change or 15-20k miles. CVT cooler like the ETL unit mentioned above would be helpful. Do you have tuner view? I would make sure to keep trans temp on that if so. Just take it easy and don't do low rpm pulls, kick it into S to bring the revs up then ease into it.

OP
OP
nicholasyeti

nicholasyeti

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
I would maintain your fluid possibly do shorter intervals like every 3rd oil change or 15-20k miles. CVT cooler like the ETL unit mentioned above would be helpful. Do you have tuner view? I would make sure to keep trans temp on that if so. Just take it easy and don't do low rpm pulls, kick it into S to bring the revs up then ease into it.
Yes I have tuner view, Ill definitely keep an eye on it.
I appreciate the helpful information from the CVT guys in here, it's pretty hard to find a lot of information by just looking it up.

OP
OP
nicholasyeti

nicholasyeti

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
The fluid doesn't carry any of the torque. Sounds like a whole lot of snake oil to me.
Apparently its supposed to hold its viscosity at higher temperatures better, in turn, keeping wear off the CVT even in high heat. That's just what they claim.

Guitar_stitch

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI, 2006 Honda Element, 2006 Chevy Express
Country flag
Apparently its supposed to hold its viscosity at higher temperatures better, in turn, keeping wear off the CVT even in high heat. That's just what they claim.
I'd be looking for empirical data before spending my hard earned money on "magic fluids"

disc1pline

First Name
adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' sport touring hatch
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
at what point should i be looking to invest in a cvt oil cooler? cuz i’m running a phearable tune right now but idk if i’m pushing enough power to justify a cvt oil cooler purchase
Sponsored