R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their oem oil filter getting a crack on the side of the filter closer to passenger side. It has been 400 miles since last oil change but only started leaking today. Filter was perfectly fine when installed. Stock sump guard is being used.
Sponsored

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with their oem oil filter getting a crack on the side of the filter closer to passenger side. It has been 400 miles since last oil change but only started leaking today. Filter was perfectly fine when installed. Stock sump guard is being used.
I have yet to see one fail in 15yrs. Something hit it or it was installed incorrectly using an oil filter wrench to install, something you weren't supposed to do. I would check the rubber mating seal, it may have a tear in it.

OP
OP
R-36276

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I have yet to see one fail in 15yrs. Something hit it or it was installed incorrectly using an oil filter wrench to install, something you weren't supposed to do. I would check the rubber mating seal, it may have a tear in it.
Agree, I have never come across one that failed either. Filter does have a little indentation, by the crack, but can't see how anything could have got in to hit it, with a sump guard in place.
I guess no more ordering filters from online and being more cautious during install.

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'13 PMM Civic EX, '19 CBP Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Agree, I have never come across one that failed either. Filter does have a little indentation, by the crack, but can't see how anything could have got in to hit it, with a sump guard in place.
I guess no more ordering filters from online and being more cautious during install.
Do you have a photo of the crack? I work in a manufacturing plant that makes oil filter shells, wondering if it's a manufacturing defect but if that dent is there then that might be your problem. Either way I am curious.

Centripetal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 RSX Type S, 2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
It could be a knock off. I know they were starting to appear when people were going crazy for the -A01 filters.

OP
OP
R-36276

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Do you have a photo of the crack? I work in a manufacturing plant that makes oil filter shells, wondering if it's a manufacturing defect but if that dent is there then that might be your problem. Either way I am curious.
That is where it is leaking from. Definitely not caused by the tool.

Honda Civic 10th gen Oem oil filter crack 20210907_175553

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is where it is leaking from. Definitely not caused by the tool.

20210907_175553.jpg
That's definitely exterior damage, looks like a rock or bolt came in fast and hard from the left, even took some paint off more to the left. If a customer filed a complaint I'd dispute it for sure. Now, *how* that happened I'm unsure. Is your skid plate removed? I need to crawl under my car and take a look. This is interesting!

OP
OP
R-36276

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
That's definitely exterior damage, looks like a rock or bolt came in fast and hard from the left, even took some paint off more to the left. If a customer filed a complaint I'd dispute it for sure. Now, *how* that happened I'm unsure. Is your skid plate removed? I need to crawl under my car and take a look. This is interesting!
Skid plate has always been on the car.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Skid plate has always been on the car.
Hmm I wonder if it was damaged prior to installation? I can see that being accidentally overlooked.

OP
OP
R-36276

R-36276

First Name
Milo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Hmm I wonder if it was damaged prior to installation? I can see that being accidentally overlooked.
I could have missed it.. Just glad it got worse after I got home and not while on the road. Got a new filter on today, cleaned the skid plate and plastic covering so should be good to go. No damage on this filter, double checked it.

svffr

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could have missed it.. Just glad it got worse after I got home and not while on the road. Got a new filter on today, cleaned the skid plate and plastic covering so should be good to go. No damage on this filter, double checked it.
What style wrench do you use to tighten the filter?

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
That filter looks like it's had a rough life. Besides the large dent and hole, it has gouges and scratches on most of the part that the picture shows.

Also, it doesn't look like a genuine Honda filter to me. Maybe its just the photo, but the printing on the filter looks to be poor quality, especially the "A03183". I compared it to a couple of filters that I got from the dealer. On mine the print is crisp with no jagged edges in the paint.
Sponsored

Last edited: