OEM LED 3rd Brake Light

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got my car 2 days ago and I thought of installing the LED 3rd brake light which kept it since I sold my 8th gen civic years back.

Here's the video I took comparing the OEM Halogen vs OEM LED 3rd brake lights.
Sponsored

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I got my car 2 days ago and I thought of installing the LED 3rd brake light which kept it since I sold my 8th gen civic years back.

So its the brake light from the hybrid models we've discussed in a previous thread...

OP
OP
MarkP

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So its the brake light from the hybrid models we've discussed in a previous thread...
I got mine from a FD2R but I think they are the same with the hybrid models.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2486-copy

GtheGent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring (Burgundy Night Pearl)
Vehicle Showcase

Would you mind posting up a little tutorial of how you replaced this? I've been thinking of doing this but I really don't want to just start poking around.

OP
OP
MarkP

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would you mind posting up a little tutorial of how you replaced this? I've been thinking of doing this but I really don't want to just start poking around.
Here's a little guide on how to remove the rear deck that I hope can help you.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2495-copy

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2496-copy

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2483-copy

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2482-copy

Alternatively, you can also watch the youtube video of Mr. "Home Garage" which is also very helpful.

Last edited:

OP
OP
MarkP

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another thing to consider when you would want to replace your 3rd brake light with an OEM LED light is to do a bit of cutting by removing these two parts as shown in the photo below. I have decided mine to be removed just to fit in the LED brake light.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2487-copy

After removing the two parts mentioned above, the LED 3rd brake light fits nice and tight. I just put some thick 3M double sided tape in the inner part (top portion of LED brake light) to prevent from rattling.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2488-copy

bluebuury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I just finished up going the LED third brake light conversion in my touring model. The process took about 4 hours to do. I must say, I'm very satisfied with the result. The light is much brighter than the one lousy halogen bulb that was in there before, and touring model now looks as upscale as it should be. I've also swapped out the rear turn signals and brake lights for LEDs, as well. I purchased the LED brake lamp (same as hybrid Civic models) from here. It's the cheapest that I could find online, but shipping takes roughly a week or more. If anyone has questions about the process, I'd be happy to answer it for them. I could also do it for you if you live in my area and are going to provide the 34270-SNC-A02; it should take more than 2 hours now that I know what to do.

Last edited:

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
I just finished up this conversion along with adding sound deadener to the rear deck to fix the subwoofer rattle. The entire process to me around 4 hours to do. I'm happy with the LED third brake light on my touring model, but still unsatisfied with the subwoofer rattle.
Post a video! Which one did you use specifically? There's like different ones.

The 2007-11 coupe EX and up models have an LED 3rd brake light in a red housing
Hybrids since 06 have a clear housing but 06-11 and 12-15 models have different part numbers.

bluebuury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Post a video! Which one did you use specifically? There's like different ones.

The 2007-11 coupe EX and up models have an LED 3rd brake light in a red housing
Hybrids since 06 have a clear housing but 06-11 and 12-15 models have different part numbers.
I'll post a video or pics when I get the chance! I'd need someone to record the brake light in action while I press on it. The brake light part number that I used was 34270-SNC-A02. It's the one with the clear housing. The red housing had less LEDs and doesn't look as premium to me. I've attached some pics to show the difference between the two for others to look at. I also updated my previous post with the URL of the website I got it from.

34270-SNC-A01 (Older, Red Housing, 6 LEDs, Cheaper Option)
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light 7y5jvc

34270-SNC-A02 (Newer, Clear Housing, More LEDs, More Expensive)
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_h1_CZcILjkwF5QTjWOmATeNtYtNKDbSwNWuvkOUG_3-EjUvg-A

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
It's 200 Canadian -__-' I should probably stick to the reflector housing. If it goes out I can drop $3 on a new bulb lol

StarCreator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Sedan EX-T
My last Civic was a 2008 EX Coupe. After three or four years the 3rd brake light crapped out; it would sometimes work in cold weather but would stop working once it warmed up. I keep seeing 8th gen Civic EXs on the road with dead 3rd brake lights and have to assume the same happened to them. Needless to say I'm bit wary of doing this if it'll just end up dead down the line.

If you do this, I'd definitely go for the part for the Hybrid. Maybe it'll last longer.

OP
OP
MarkP

MarkP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just finished up going the LED third brake light conversion in my touring model. The process took about 4 hours to do. I must say, I'm very satisfied with the result. The light is much brighter than the one lousy halogen bulb that was in there before, and touring model now looks as upscale as it should be. I've also swapped out the rear turn signals and brake lights for LEDs, as well. I purchased the LED brake lamp (same as hybrid Civic models) from here. It's the cheapest that I could find online, but shipping takes roughly a week or more. If anyone has questions about the process, I'd be happy to answer it for them. I could also do it for you if you live in my area and are going to provide the 34270-SNC-A02; it should take more than 2 hours now that I know what to do.
Do you also have this part removed when installing the LED brake lamp? I'm just curious if our rear board is similar.

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM LED 3rd Brake Light IMG_2487-copy

Andy123az

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Acura MDX Tech, 2016 Honda Civic EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why on earth did Honda make it such a hard process to switch out the third brake light.

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Why on earth did Honda make it such a hard process to switch out the third brake light.
Why does Honda need to make it ergonomically feasible in the first place? The original incandescent housing is easy as fuck to switch the bulb and that's all a regular consumer cares about should the light go out. If consumers care even.
Sponsored