OEM floor mats are CHEAP!

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Prelude Si
Country flag
I keep the Weathertechs in my other cars in all year long because even in summer time you can step in something and drag it into your car without noticing, like oil, ice cream, gum, bum vomit, etc. Stuff that is difficult to clean out of carpeted mats. I keep the carpeted mats stored away until time to sell, new OEM carpeted floor mats make an old car look much more appealing!
Sponsored

latexyankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Been debating between Llyod and honda oem rubber. I've never owned rubber mats before, I enjoy the look and feel of carpet. I haven't really had a car I love so much though and this is my first ever new car. I worked in a detail shop for years, with the carpet mats you can just spray them with a de-greaser, pressure wash the shit out of them at the car wash and let them sit in the driveway for 4 hours in the sun to dry. This will get rid of almost ANY stains (scrub if you have to before pressure wash) especially on dark mats, looking almost new. That being said, I'm thinking rubber for the trunk and premium carpet for the interior. Only problem is winter in Ohio...sigh. But rubber has always turned me off for some reason, maybe I can convert.

I have 800 mi as of today and my mats are in decent shape compared to some of the rest of you, perhaps I can wiggle my sales gal into a spare pair? I have an appointment tomorrow for the "turbogate" surging conspiracy. I think I will tell her how the mats suck and she if can find some "spare" rubber lying around.

AlbertVu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
I bought Weathertech Mats and absolutely love them! but I have to admet the oem mats look very cheap.

AlbertVu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Do you also keep them all year year long?
Yes I will. I hate tissue mats they get dirty so fast and they are hard to clean. What I really like with the weathertech is that if theres dirt/rocks I can take the mat out and just throw the dirt away no need to vacuum anything. The only issue I've notice with the Weathertech is...I live in Montreal/Canada in the winter time we use a lot of salt for the snow and ice, when I first washed my Weathertech the salt have made like small white/brown spot on the mat its nothing very seriously, no damage its just the color. Next time i'll take greys mats IMO.

Jay Jay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Touring 2016
Yes I will. I hate tissue mats they get dirty so fast and they are hard to clean. What I really like with the weathertech is that if theres dirt/rocks I can take the mat out and just throw the dirt away no need to vacuum anything. The only issue I've notice with the Weathertech is...I live in Montreal/Canada in the winter time we use a lot of salt for the snow and ice, when I first washed my Weathertech the salt have made like small white/brown spot on the mat its nothing very seriously, no damage its just the color. Next time i'll take greys mats IMO.
Nice! Also from Montreal !! :) You ordered it online or you bought them locally?

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Just noticed mine today. Had the car for less than 2 months, with a little over 2,000 miles. This is completely unacceptable. My dad has a 9 year old accord with 145k miles and all his carpet fibers are still in tact.

I called Honda and they said they have not heard of the issue. I feel as though Honda should give us all free rubber mats. I should not have to pay to have the carpet fibers stay on my mat. That is just ridiculous. Imagine what the carpet is gonna look like after a few years.

Anyway, everyone on the thread should call Honda any have them document the issue since they have no record of this. If they receive enough volume they may make a TSB for new/rubberized mats for our year (free) and hopefully improve for next year for future customers.

They obviously outsourced their carpet to some cheap Chinese company. How in the hell could a 07' with 145k miles have all the carpet fibers still in tact, yet a brand new 16' - 2 months old have a hole in the mat.

EVERYONE CALL THIS NUMBER!

Honda Customer Service: (800) 999-1009

Honda Civic 10th gen OEM floor mats are CHEAP! ima

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
To be clear, I'm super disappointed too. My pax side is getting worn out and it's from having The Club sit there.

But this...

>They obviously outsourced their carpet to some cheap Chinese company.

Not China's fault. Don't forget, iPhones/MacBooks are made in China - and (generally) no one complains about the quality. Honda knew what they were going to get for the price they wanted to pay for these mats. It's completely on them.

I suspect these mats have COGS of $3 at most.

ecm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Country flag
Whatever they did, they did it extremely cheap. Its the thinnest rubber mat with elmers glues on it and sprinkled on cotton. I can't even vaccum the carpet because the carpet fibers get sucked up. I took the mat out and ran my hand down it to get the debris off and accumulated a cotton ball!

I'm trying to measure how may vacuums it has in it. Maybe 20 vaccum sessions before you're down to the base.

Honda Customer Service: (800) 999-1009

Kindred1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Those look terrible. I only had mine in for a week, I ordered the OEM rubber mats since I bought my car in December, I like having rubber mats during the winter months. But honestly, I'm not putting the OEM carpeted mats back. After just a week, a noticed a rut in them where my heel would be.

The OEM rubber mats, the high walls, are very nice to be honest.
My dealer threw in the OEM rubber mats as part of the deal, and I am using them now. The carpet mats simply don't hold up.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've never this problem with my stock floor mats, but I've just got a cheap set of black all weather floor mats right now. I've used these before and they last forever. Walmart, $20-$25, set of 4.

finalnight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When I took delivery on my Civic, it already had a crack in the driver's mat just from test driving! They quickly gave me a different one from another Civic on the lot. The mats look and feel crappy, I have a set of Lloyd's Ultimats coming in on Saturday to replace the OEM's. Will post review once they arrive.

kirkhilles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue
I'm leasing (first lease ever!) my EX-T, so keeping costs down is essential for it to make sense for me. The only things I invested in was a can of $8 Scotchgard Auto and a set of $120 shipped Honda high wall mats from Amazon. Overall, I like the mats a lot although they do not cover the bridge area in the back (our Pilot has a single piece that lays over both rear seats and the bridge). I'm expecting them to last well through the 3 years and if I lease another Civic again - maybe I'll just reuse them. I certainly wouldn't recommend using the factory mats - heck, you're probably better off using NO MATS versus using those.

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't know what people are doing to these mats, but the ones in my 15 Civic still looked new when I traded the car, and these look to be made the same. I have some cheapy all-weather mats I'm using some right now, but that's only because they were free.
Sponsored