OEM engine filter is expensive vs.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
OEM engine filter is $39, cost $9 on amazon. In term longevity of the engine, it is ok to use off brand engine filter?
Sponsored

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
You talking about an air filter or oil filter?

I'm referring to the engine air filter, not the oil filter or the cabin filter. I was looking into KN filter ($55) but decided to with either OEM engine filter or off brand filter. The difference in cost is significant. I'm wondering if cheaper Amazon filter is good enough to protect the engine.

jayy_swish

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Country flag
I'm referring to the engine air filter, not the oil filter or the cabin filter. I was looking into KN filter ($55) but decided to with either OEM engine filter or off brand filter. The difference in cost is significant. I'm wondering if cheaper Amazon filter is good enough to protect the engine.
Figured but just thought to make sure, we’ll k&N is reuseable and allows for better airflow than OEM. OEM is good because it was made specifically for our vehicles with a lot of engineering in mind, but honestly a filter is a filter (as long as it’s a good brand). Just stick with a reputable brand aftermarket filter at least I would say

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
Figured but just thought to make sure, we’ll k&N is reuseable and allows for better airflow than OEM. OEM is good because it was made specifically for our vehicles with a lot of engineering in mind, but honestly a filter is a filter (as long as it’s a good brand). Just stick with a reputable brand aftermarket filter at least I would say

I read that KN lets more dirt in.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
They do. Plus, if you over-oil them it can screw with the MAF sensor. Honda OEM is actually very good. Personally, I've always used the non-oiled dry aftermarket performance filters (AEM Dryflow, aFe Pro Dry S) and have had great luck with them. They flow better than stock and filter better than a K&N. A good compromise.

Last edited:
OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
They do. Plus, if you over-oil them it can screw with the MAF sensor. Honda OEM is actually very good. Personally, I've always used the non-oiled dry aftermarket performance filters (AEM Dryflow, aFe Pro Dry S) and have had great luck with them. They flow better then stock and filter better than a K&N. A good compromise.

I rather go with OEM parts, but this one is spendy. I'll look into aftermarket. thanks

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I rather go with OEM parts, but this one is spendy. I'll look into aftermarket. thanks
I order mine from hondapartsnow.com and they are fair prices.

mvela

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic sedan lx 6mt and 2018 Honda Civic hatchback ex auto
Country flag
I just ordered mine on ebay #112479329208 for $22.
Yeah that’s a fair price to. I think it’s about the same price on hondapartsnow.com as well. For the price though you really can’t beat the quality of the oem filter. They are not paper like old oem filters used to be.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Any aftermarket filter that isn't fabricated of cotton will allow more particulates into the air flow. Is is so thin that it won't affect much. If you just want an air filter, just pick the lowest cost if that's your concern; but you have already acquired one so you are good.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
The OEM filter has some oil in it. It isn't like the normal dry filters.

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I use the AEM dryflow also. After the first cleaning at 15,000 miles ,I've noticed a bit more kick. It was a bit smoother on the throttle right off the bat from the OEM filter.

OP
OP

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
I use the AEM dryflow also. After the first cleaning at 15,000 miles ,I've noticed a bit more kick. It was a bit smoother on the throttle right off the bat from the OEM filter.

I don't do any engine mods, i only care about fuel economy and engine life. I went with OEM honda filter

Rickmeister 48

First Name
Overlord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic ex-t
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't do any engine mods, i only care about fuel economy and engine life. I went with OEM honda filter
I hardly call an air filter a mod, more airflow means better mpg, and these aren't K and n filters that let in more dirt. But, whatever floats your boat.
Sponsored