OEM brake longevity?

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ive noticed that it’s taking slightly longer for my car to brake when stopping at a light. I have to press down on the pedal harder because often times I’m gonna overshoot. I was wondering how many miles the stock brake pads and rotors are rated for? I’m at 18.2K miles and since these are performance brakes I wasn’t sure if these have a lower expected lifespan.

I don’t abuse my brakes; I don’t really slam on them often unless I need to. I drive spiritedly but I brake early usually. No audible signs of wear - brake sometimes squeal at low speed but it has done that since I first got the car.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
You can visually inspect the pads to see how much pad material is left

OP
OP
Zeffy94

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can visually inspect the pads to see how much pad material is left
I’ll be honest, I don’t know what I’m looking for - this is my first performance car so it’s all new to me. (It’s also the only car I’ve kept for more than a year which means a lot of the upcoming maintenance will be new to me as well:dunno:)

Speed9117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR, 2005 S2000, 1993 EG, 1989 EF Si
Country flag
I’ll be honest, I don’t know what I’m looking for - this is my first performance car so it’s all new to me. (It’s also the only car I’ve kept for more than a year which means a lot of the upcoming maintenance will be new to me as well:dunno:)
There's a window on the top of the caliper. Look for the backing plate and then see how much pad material is left between the backing plate and rotor.

I've heard of people having to replace pads after less than 18k miles so they may need to be replaced.

oak

First Name
wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic type r
Country flag
Changed mine out at 12.5k miles. My rears were shot with 3-4 mm left. Switched to hawks HPS low dust and the street 50 for rears. Nice to have minimal to no dust to deal with. New pads have better modulation than stocks. Good street pads not for tracking.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Ive noticed that it’s taking slightly longer for my car to brake when stopping at a light. I have to press down on the pedal harder because often times I’m gonna overshoot. I was wondering how many miles the stock brake pads and rotors are rated for? I’m at 18.2K miles and since these are performance brakes I wasn’t sure if these have a lower expected lifespan.

I don’t abuse my brakes; I don’t really slam on them often unless I need to. I drive spiritedly but I brake early usually. No audible signs of wear - brake sometimes squeal at low speed but it has done that since I first got the car.

Thanks!
you can't really gauge brake wear by miles because if you do a lot of freeway driving in light traffic, you'd do less braking compared to someone whos dealing with constant stop and go or driving it aggressive.

These do wear faster compared to your ordinary pads on normal cars though. You can look through the wheel or remove the wheel and see how much pad material you have left.

To make things very simple, the brake pad consists of 2 sections. The backing plate and the pad material. The pad material wears out as you use your brakes. When that section gets thin is when you should think about replacing your brakes.

In the pic below, you can see the used brake pad on the right side which has a thinner pad material compared to the new one on the left side.
Honda Civic 10th gen OEM brake longevity? brake-pads-4

TypeR604

I choose to live by choice not by chance.
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 Type R
Country flag
Do you hear a squealing noise while driving? These brake pads have a small tab on them that brush against your rotor when they are ready to be replaced as shown in this photo:

PicsArt_06-18-08_07_29.jpg
What's up fam?

My brake pads on my R looks exactly like this I haven't change them yet and I'm sitting on 28,000 km + and I start hearing squealing sound now when i slow down and hit the brakes is that mean I need to replace all of them front and rear brake pads?

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
What's up fam?

My brake pads on my R looks exactly like this I haven't change them yet and I'm sitting on 28,000 km + and I start hearing squealing sound now when i slow down and hit the brakes is that mean I need to replace all of them front and rear brake pads?
Anyone know what the OEM size is of the brake pads? I'm sitting at 8-9 mm right now but don't know if I started with 10, 11 or whatever.

Thanks in advance

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was told by a Honda tech to figure 20,000 on front pads and about half that on the rear.
Of course the front slotted rotors are a one time use, so you must replace the pads and rotors on the front, not just the pads. Rear rotors are not slotted, so can be turned, allowing you to just replace the pads a couple times before having to also buy new rotors.
I was just quoted well over $800 for parts and labor on the front pads and rotors, OEM, dealer quote. The parts alone, online, run over $ 600.
The OEM pads do create a lot of brake dust, which can cause noise even when you have enough pad still left. Hawks may be a good alternative. I probably would not trust aftermarket rotors.

TypeR604

I choose to live by choice not by chance.
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 Type R
Country flag
Was told by a Honda tech to figure 20,000 on front pads and about half that on the rear.
Of course the front slotted rotors are a one time use, so you must replace the pads and rotors on the front, not just the pads. Rear rotors are not slotted, so can be turned, allowing you to just replace the pads a couple times before having to also buy new rotors.
I was just quoted well over $800 for parts and labor on the front pads and rotors, OEM, dealer quote. The parts alone, online, run over $ 600.
The OEM pads do create a lot of brake dust, which can cause noise even when you have enough pad still left. Hawks may be a good alternative. I probably would not trust aftermarket rotors.
I appreciate the good info Cornercarver, my question is it really necessary to replace my front rotors when I'm ready to replace my brake pads? It seems like it's too early they still look ok no sign of cracks. I don't track my R and probably never will but I do daily drive it a lot. My R is sitting on 28,000 km.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I appreciate the good info Cornercarver, my question is it really necessary to replace my front rotors when I'm ready to replace my brake pads? It seems like it's too early they still look ok no sign of cracks. I don't track my R and probably never will but I do daily drive it a lot. My R is sitting on 28,000 km.
Honda recommends replacing the front rotors with the pads as they cannot be turned- their tech used the term 'one time use'. I wondered the same thing. What looks like a good rotor may still have enough wear to cause a bad seal, since you can't turn it. So the new pad hits the same wear spot on the front rotors.
Pads need a certain minimum thickness to work. Rotors need to be even to work well. Even if they look shiny and thick enough. The pads seat- or break in- by adapting to the rotors. Not the other way around.

Gotrpms

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
On every honda I have owned I got multiple sets of pads before having to change out the rotors or have them machined. I get that the fronts can not be machined but why would the drilled rotors interfere with just swapping pads?

spyder57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ABP CTR
Country flag
On every honda I have owned I got multiple sets of pads before having to change out the rotors or have them machined. I get that the fronts can not be machined but why would the drilled rotors interfere with just swapping pads?
You can indeed swap the pads but at that point the rotors will be on their way out as well so you may as well swap the rotors at the same time and save the additional labor cost down the road.
Sponsored