OE 2020+ cooling on track - more data

apexaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wanted to report out some of my findings on the 2020+ OE cooling system and try to help give people a more definitive answer to the question of: do the changes made to the 2020+ cars solve the overheating issues of the early cars on track?

The short answer to this question is no. If you buy a 2020+ car, you would still be wanting to replace the radiator and especially add an oil cooler if you are wanting to do a lot of track days.

Some context: I was at the SCCA Time Trial Nationals this past weekend. It's 4 days of track time: one day of testing to set grid position, a day of 20 minute time attack sessions, a day of track sprint courses, and one final day of 3-lap time attack sessions. It's a lot of track time and frankly it's a great event. It takes place at NCM Motorsports Park, which is approx. 3.15 miles long and highly technical. Ambient temps were pleasant, hovering around the mid 60s in the morning and getting up to the mid 70s in the afternoon, and it was overcast of the weekend. Ideal weather, in other words.

Now, I had been at NCM for the first time in the CTR in August, and it was 85-90 degrees and quite humid. I did not run any sort of data and simply followed the OE temp gauge. At the time, all I was able to confirm was that the car was not going into limp mode at all, even during a 30-minute torture session (with the heat blasting). I figured this was good, since many folks have reported limp mode with the earlier cars, but I had no what the numbers actually were.

Now I do. Using the LogR app, I was able to track actual temps, and the numbers you get after even ONE lap are a little bit alarming. One caveat here is that I believe the oil temp that is being presented is not a real reading (since the 2020+ still doesn't have an oil temp sensor), but is rather extrapolated from a combination of... something. Oil pressure vs. coolant maybe, I don't know. Either way, if it's even remotely accurate, it's not promising.

This is the video of my class-winning lap on Sunday. You can watch the temps change on the LogR interface from the end of the warm-up to the end of the timed lap:

Coolant and oil temps start around 190 for both, with coolant going to around 215 and oil around 250 after ONE lap. That's it. All it takes is one hot lap to put the car into questionable temp territory. For the 20 minute sessions, I was seeing coolant temps touch 230 and oil temps above 275 before starting my cooldown lap.

For the record, the engine is completely stock and the car has very few mods:
- 18x9.5 Apex EC7s
- 265/35/18 Bridgestone RE71R
- ST43 front pads w/ Motul RBF600 fluid
- RV6 rear sway bar
- Alignment with camber pins pulled

The other thing to note here: the car increasingly pulls timing/boost to compensate for the increasing temps in a linear fashion. This is probably old news to some people. However, on my data, the car is roughly 3-5mph slower in every straightaway after the first lap, and 5-7mph slower in every straight on the second, and after that I stopped caring. Again, it is a one lap wonder; for competition purposes, you get one lap to put in a good time, and after that you won't get the time back until the car cools fully. And this is in 65-75F temps.

It's a bit of a bummer but if I plan to stick with the car further for TT, the cooling system will definitely be high on the list of upgrades - even for a 2020. I think if you want to just go to HPDEs and learn and don't care about times, you'd be fine to buy a 2020 and be cautious about cooldown laps, and also don't touch anything on the engine that won't cool it better. In fact, I'd be very surprised if a tune is even worth anything on track, since the increased temps from higher boost/leaner fuel trim is likely only going to exacerbate the heat issues, and you'll be down on power just as quickly - if not quicker - than a stock CTR.

That's it for now. Hopefully this will help answer the question for some folks. I did get a card from someone at C&R while I was there, so I may be calling them sooner rather than later. :)
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Great post. We've had a lot of people chiming in this week with their IAT/track data. I need to start collecting some of this into an article...

C&R is currently considered the best you can get for our platform, so go for it and let us know how it does!

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you really wanted to, you could probably use the differences in speeds to determine how much power loss you're seeing (as a percentage). It could be interesting to get a plot of power loss vs oil temp and power loss vs coolant temp. If you have VSS readings, you could also in theory actually compute the wheel horsepower was well to get something more concrete.

MCTypeR_20

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Great summary, thanks for posting. Did you run with the heat blasting this past weekend? Did that make any significant differences that could be tracked?

R4TED-R

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 2001 Acura Integra Type R, 1990 Toyota Supra
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi all,

Just wanted to report out some of my findings on the 2020+ OE cooling system and try to help give people a more definitive answer to the question of: do the changes made to the 2020+ cars solve the overheating issues of the early cars on track?

The short answer to this question is no. If you buy a 2020+ car, you would still be wanting to replace the radiator and especially add an oil cooler if you are wanting to do a lot of track days.

Some context: I was at the SCCA Time Trial Nationals this past weekend. It's 4 days of track time: one day of testing to set grid position, a day of 20 minute time attack sessions, a day of track sprint courses, and one final day of 3-lap time attack sessions. It's a lot of track time and frankly it's a great event. It takes place at NCM Motorsports Park, which is approx. 3.15 miles long and highly technical. Ambient temps were pleasant, hovering around the mid 60s in the morning and getting up to the mid 70s in the afternoon, and it was overcast of the weekend. Ideal weather, in other words.

Now, I had been at NCM for the first time in the CTR in August, and it was 85-90 degrees and quite humid. I did not run any sort of data and simply followed the OE temp gauge. At the time, all I was able to confirm was that the car was not going into limp mode at all, even during a 30-minute torture session (with the heat blasting). I figured this was good, since many folks have reported limp mode with the earlier cars, but I had no what the numbers actually were.

Now I do. Using the LogR app, I was able to track actual temps, and the numbers you get after even ONE lap are a little bit alarming. One caveat here is that I believe the oil temp that is being presented is not a real reading (since the 2020+ still doesn't have an oil temp sensor), but is rather extrapolated from a combination of... something. Oil pressure vs. coolant maybe, I don't know. Either way, if it's even remotely accurate, it's not promising.

This is the video of my class-winning lap on Sunday. You can watch the temps change on the LogR interface from the end of the warm-up to the end of the timed lap:

Coolant and oil temps start around 190 for both, with coolant going to around 215 and oil around 250 after ONE lap. That's it. All it takes is one hot lap to put the car into questionable temp territory. For the 20 minute sessions, I was seeing coolant temps touch 230 and oil temps above 275 before starting my cooldown lap.

For the record, the engine is completely stock and the car has very few mods:
- 18x9.5 Apex EC7s
- 265/35/18 Bridgestone RE71R
- ST43 front pads w/ Motul RBF600 fluid
- RV6 rear sway bar
- Alignment with camber pins pulled

The other thing to note here: the car increasingly pulls timing/boost to compensate for the increasing temps in a linear fashion. This is probably old news to some people. However, on my data, the car is roughly 3-5mph slower in every straightaway after the first lap, and 5-7mph slower in every straight on the second, and after that I stopped caring. Again, it is a one lap wonder; for competition purposes, you get one lap to put in a good time, and after that you won't get the time back until the car cools fully. And this is in 65-75F temps.

It's a bit of a bummer but if I plan to stick with the car further for TT, the cooling system will definitely be high on the list of upgrades - even for a 2020. I think if you want to just go to HPDEs and learn and don't care about times, you'd be fine to buy a 2020 and be cautious about cooldown laps, and also don't touch anything on the engine that won't cool it better. In fact, I'd be very surprised if a tune is even worth anything on track, since the increased temps from higher boost/leaner fuel trim is likely only going to exacerbate the heat issues, and you'll be down on power just as quickly - if not quicker - than a stock CTR.

That's it for now. Hopefully this will help answer the question for some folks. I did get a card from someone at C&R while I was there, so I may be calling them sooner rather than later. :)
Do you recommend just getting the front pads or rears as well for a track day? Great write up.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Super solid write-up, thanks for sharing, nice driving. Really wonder how accurate the oil temp readout is and how it would change if you switched oil viscosities. Guess we'll never know for sure unless someone installs an independent gauge with the sensor in whatever location on their 2020 and compares. Are you on the factory 0W-20 oil fill?

OP
OP

apexaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Great summary, thanks for posting. Did you run with the heat blasting this past weekend? Did that make any significant differences that could be tracked?
It helps a lot over the course of the session, but the car will still pull power by the time it hits 240deg oil temps on the display. However, for a full 20 minute session, unimpeded by traffic, and with heat blasting, I was starting my cooldown lap above 270deg.

Do you recommend just getting the front pads or rears as well for a track day? Great write up.
I'm still researching rear pad options, but the OE rears seemed to be fine. I had no fade at all. ST43s are probably the closest I've ever used to the "magic pad" (usable on street, wear well, friendly on rotors, don't make much noise) and I'd like to use those in the rear, but they don't exist off the shelf.

When I was prepping the car for this event, I actually bought an extra pair of OE rear pads since I was reading a lot on this forum about people blowing through rear pads in 1 or 2 track days due to the handling assist. I had already done 2 track days so figured I was on backing plates, but to my surprise they were barely touched. Then I did 4 days at TT Nationals and they are still probably around 40-50%.

The 2020 rear pads are a different part number from the earlier cars so I wonder if they put a more robust compound on them to keep them from wearing out so quickly.

Super solid write-up, thanks for sharing, nice driving. Really wonder how accurate the oil temp readout is and how it would change if you switched oil viscosities. Guess we'll never know for sure unless someone installs an independent gauge with the sensor in whatever location on their 2020 and compares. Are you on the factory 0W-20 oil fill?
No, I put fresh Redline 0W-20 in for this event.

donutroidz

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
I went out to Buttonwillow in CA at 90 degree temps on a full stock CTR with suspension setup.
The morning session I was able to get 1 warm up, 1 hot lap in before seeing the gauge rise.
The 2nd run which was already reaching hot noon temps, my first warm up lap, i already felt the down in power and heat soak. The 2nd lap, i couldn't even finish the lap without seeing temps rise above half. I was utterly disappointed.

Gmedalion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8 and other Hondas (only 50 characters?)
Country flag
Did you pedal dance to turn everything off for your runs or just R mode with VSA fully off?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Although my temps didn't get as high, it is really sad to see the engine pull power with oil temps no higher than 250. Certainly wonder what is the better approach, bigger C&R radiator or oil cooler. It would be easier to make that decision if we knew exactly what parameters Honda uses to pull timing.

Certainly easier to just do the radiator and no issue with potential loss of oil pressure due to the extra plumbing but it would be great to see if the C&R radiator prevents pulling of power or just prevents limp mode.

I wonder if Honda has made this new to the 2020 model so that it pulls power but doesn't actually go in to limp mode so easily.

BTW, I have run 2 track days with nannies turned off by the double push VSA button approach and not the pedal dance. No intervention detected and no excessive wear of the rear pads despite the front stock pads being severely worn. (Have used ST43 myself in the past and really liked them but have ordered some R5 pads from Paragon to see what they are like). Personally I would stick with stock rear pads if you are running without the nannies. Those rear brakes are pretty tiny and with better than stock tires, there is going to be even less work for them to do as more weight transfer occurs.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
For what it's worth, Honda tests their cars with OE street tires and guessing OE pads as well. So they're not pushing nearly as hard as someone with 265 extreme summer tires. I wonder if 100% OE setup would give you better temp data.

OP
OP

apexaddict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Did you pedal dance to turn everything off for your runs or just R mode with VSA fully off?
R mode with VSA fully off. If there is any intervention, it's not enough to notice. I've played around with the pedal dance at autocrosses and it wasn't all that different, maybe a bit worse since it's not inducing rear brakes to help turn the car. I haven't tried pedal dance on track, but VSA "normal off" is pretty bad - that definitely smokes the brakes very quickly.

I have clips from other laps with the tail out quite a bit at T8 on cold tires and VSA off-off didn't intervene there either, so I figure it's fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen OE 2020+ cooling on track - more data 2020-10-01
Sponsored