Odd Sound

nicmartim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
Ok, fully understanding how difficult it is to diagnose sounds by someone describing them on an internet forum, I'll give it a go. I have, not constant but enough that I notice it, a sound that can best be described as squirrels quietly fighting under my hood. It is most heard at idle and lower RPM cruising and lasts for about 30 seconds and then dissipates to silence but returns again after some time. I've heard the sound with the AC on and off, in P, N and D. If I had to guess, I'd say it's either in the climate control system or an accessory up front, but I am having a devil of a time trying to pin-point it. My car is an '18 EX 2.0 and my son says his '19 EX-T hatch does it too, but I've never heard his. Thoughts? Anyone else experiencing this and can shed some light on what it is?

Speaking of AC, when accessing my Climate Control Center on my car I've noticed that more frequently than not my AC is neither ON nor OFF (Schrodinger's AC?). What is that about? I am an old knob and dial guy where AC is either on by my choosing it to be on (either explicitly or via defrost) or off. But to be neither on nor off seems odd to me.
Sponsored

bansheeback

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
I think I may know what you're talking about. I've owned two tenth generation civics, one sedan and one hatch. They've both made that sound and I think it just has something to do with air moving through the engine when the radiator fans are on (which only happens at slow speeds and when idling). It's nothing to worry about. I was curious about what it was too when I first got my sedan.

Also, I've noticed what you're saying about the AC too and I believe when the climate control is set to auto it just doesn't specify whether the AC is on or not.