First Name
Skott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan, 2021 Subaru Crosstrek
Country flag
Good evening Civicsters,

I'm at a loss here and was hoping you could share some wisdom with a noob. For maybe the last 3000 miles, my brake pedal/initial bite has been acting very peculiar. Here's the symptoms:
a. Easy braking, from say 50mph and below, I would gently get on the brakes, maybe 5%-10% and feel that slow decel, then it feels as if the brake pedal drops by itself to almost 50% braking force (say 0.25-0.5 seconds later), enough to cause a headjerk. I'm not pushing the pedal any more, I can even attest that just by resting my foot on the pedal, barely enough to get the brake lights to go, the pedal will drop maybe a quarter-inch or a half-centimeter, without any added pressure.
b. This happens maybe 75% of the time, and I'm leaning towards brake booster, or after looking at the pedal assembly on some parts pages, maybe the spring??
c. Before we go any further, I've had the brakes flushed and bled by a shop (At 25,000 miles [800 miles ago]), thinking that was the culprit, but alas, no luck, no improvement.
d. One day I decided to feel around the pedal and followed the pedal up to the hinge, and I got a wad of grease on my finger for that. I can feel what appears to be a locking pin/spring up there, and after fanganling it a bit, I feel the symptom went away for maybe a day or two but sadly, the symptom is back. I think it's something physical/control wise, and not the brakes/pads/fluid. My second hunch is maybe the brake lines, has someone ever had a faulty/malfunctioning brake line cause this? I'm willing to get stainless lines if that's what needed (minor upgrade).

Here's where I was hoping my fellow civic fanatics could lend a hand, I've seen videos on bleeding and flushing solving similar issues, but after having that done, that's not the case for my 2020 Si Sedan.
Has anyone experienced this themselves or know somewhere to start? This weekend I'm going to stick my head under the dash and poke around the pedal to look for any obvious issues, but if someone knows something else to check, I'm all ears, and Right-foot.
-Brake pads are wearing well, more than 50% left, rotors are not scored, stock wheels and OEM tires... Car still drives safely, and is manageable at the moment, but I definitely notice. I was contemplating getting new pads and rotors (minor upgrade), but I'd like to solve this issue first, heck, maybe new pads and rotors are what's needed.

Please and thank you, thank you kindly for your shared wisdom,
Noob from SoFlo
Sponsored

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
Is your Si stock brakes wise? You should still be under factory warranty right? If so I would get this looked at under warranty especially if you can reproduce this easily. This is a safety issue and should be covered.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
is this while you are following closely to another car? does it do it in gear and/or neutral? does it go down like you say at a stop with key on engine off? does pedal come all the way back up on its own? any leaks at each caliper or master cylinder, or abs module behind engine passenger side?

Last edited:

CMarks

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag
Im thinking of ordering goodrige SS brake lines. Anybody using them?

RP2000R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Porsche GT4, 20 Civic Si, 15 Lexus IS350 RWD
Country flag
My 2020 Si just started doing this around 37k miles anyone figure out the issue?
Sponsored