Octane Level for 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan

Which octane level should I use for my 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stormie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hello -

I recently bought a 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. When purchasing the vehicle, the dealer told me it took 87 octane gasoline. However, the owners manual says all vehicles with a 'Sport' mode take 91 octane. What confuses me is every Civic for my generation from the EX-T trim level and up uses the 1.5 liter I4 engine with a turbo - would all of them require 91 octane? Or is it just the Civic Si and the Civic Type R? Please help clarify this for me because I want to take proper care of my vehicle, but I also don't want to waste money on octane I don't need.

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored

marauderguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring
Country flag
Hello -

I recently bought a 2017 Honda Civic Touring Sedan. When purchasing the vehicle, the dealer told me it took 87 octane gasoline. However, the owners manual says all vehicles with a 'Sport' mode take 91 octane. What confuses me is every Civic for my generation from the EX-T trim level and up uses the 1.5 liter I4 engine with a turbo - would all of them require 91 octane? Or is it just the Civic Si and the Civic Type R? Please help clarify this for me because I want to take proper care of my vehicle, but I also don't want to waste money on octane I don't need.

Thank you in advance!
If you want approx 6 more horsepower, then run 91. If you are happy with the performance on 87 and don't want to pay extra for premium, then use 87. The computer will adjust to whatever you put in it and 87 will do no harm. I have a 17 Touring and have put in nothing but 94 on Ktuner.

clayky

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Hello -

Thank you in advance!
The sport mode reference is for the Si.

ShuJam

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Touring Hatchback
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Zooropa82 is correct.

91 recommended - Sport (hatch), Sport Touring (hatch), Si, Type R
87+ recommended - all other trims levels, including EX-T and Touring (sedan and coupe)

dougb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic touring
Country flag
Premium is not necessary. Honda recommends using top tier gasoline. Top tier is not premium but does have additional additives necessary to help with controlling carbon in the 1.5 turbo. Google top tier to look for company's that sell top tier gasoline.

AndreiMR

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sedan Touring
I always put the highest octane I can buy at the pump, as a protective measure against carbon buildup in the engine. As it's a relatively new design and has turbo, I don't think there's been enough experience to trust that Honda is not being perhaps a little too agressive in its claims. :) It can't hurt, and given how fuel efficient the engine is, it's really not a big financial hit.

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I use Premium in my 1.5L Turbo. I realize they're saying it's not necessary or whatever but hey, it can't hurt.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I use mid-grade Sunoco 89 octane and am happy with the results.