Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport Hatch 2017 Sport Hatch
Country flag
No need to worry. 100% will pass.
Just make sure to enable the sensors again through KTuner
Well, got some bad news.

The HVDP is on and I reflashed the ECU to factory with no disables (as far as I can tell). I drove around until all the sensing warnings went off and the initial check engine cleared.

I guess I didn't complete a drive cycle because not all the readiness monitors indicated "OK" but I wasn't concerned and figured I'd just drive enough tomorrow to deal with them.

Off to get coffee this AM and BAM 2 minutes in the CEL comes on, KTuner indicates P0139, same F*CKING code for the O2 sensor I've been trying to avoid.

I'm sort of beside myself here, I just dropped a thousand bucks on a PRL HVDP and the labor and have no resolution. More if you count the laptop I bought, expressly to make tuning easier.

Kinda want to just sell the car like I did with my grey one (not to be dramatic but this is more trouble than its worth)
Sponsored

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Well. Did OP keep the original downpipe? The second question is if OP can return the tune back to stock?

Side Note. That's why I'm waiting for PRL to get CARB certification on the HVDP. Zero problems to worry about. It's a hassle to spend possibly 3 hours changing one part for a smog check. I know OP is in New York from profile and they use CARB rules. Zero chance of passing smog without a catalytic converter.

OP
OP
jconnway

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well. Did OP keep the original downpipe? The second question is if OP can return the tune back to stock?

Side Note. That's why I'm waiting for PRL to get CARB certification on the HVDP. Zero problems to worry about. It's a hassle to spend possibly 3 hours changing one part for a smog check. I know OP is in New York from profile and they use CARB rules. Zero chance of passing smog without a catalytic converter.
Didn’t keep the original part hence the dilemma. Woulda gone back to that long ago but was trying to be slick and keep a performance DP, hence the HVDP. Trying to source an OEM DP...

I will say, both TSP (who I bought the HVDP from) and PRL are surprised I'm having this issue.

It is possible that because the mechanic installed the elbow defouler from the original PRL catted DP on the HVDP that there is an error in the reading causing the code.

Another issue may be the wire harness thing... PRL rep is sending me a replacement, she thought that it might have become damaged somehow and causing the code (I don't think this is the issue, I'm more interested in seeing what happens when the O2 sensor is plugged directly into the HVDP body with no elbow piece). Assuming that is easy enough to remove and replace, I'll try and take a look this week.

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag
Didn’t keep the original part hence the dilemma. Woulda gone back to that long ago but was trying to be slick and keep a performance DP, hence the HVDP. Trying to source an OEM DP...

I will say, both TSP (who I bought the HVDP from) and PRL are surprised I'm having this issue.

It is possible that because the mechanic installed the elbow defouler from the original PRL catted DP on the HVDP that there is an error in the reading causing the code.

Another issue may be the wire harness thing... PRL rep is sending me a replacement, she thought that it might have become damaged somehow and causing the code (I don't think this is the issue, I'm more interested in seeing what happens when the O2 sensor is plugged directly into the HVDP body with no elbow piece). Assuming that is easy enough to remove and replace, I'll try and take a look this week.
Sorry you are having this issue i have a stock dp if you need to use for inspection. I live in New York on li. I did not have issues with the hvdp from prl thou

Ronny2019

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si Coupe
Country flag

The new hvdp does not need the defouler take it off and jusy put into hole location for it You can see it in the pic
I had flex fuel and this dp and all i did was rehook up the wires i switched when putting in the flex kit and flashed back to my pherable gas tune and drove the car for a few days then got it inspected no issues.
Honda Civic 10th gen NY State Inspection - Readiness Monitors - Catted DP / Ktuner tempImageFZVJFB

OP
OP
jconnway

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The new hvdp does not need the defouler take it off and jusy put into hole location for it You can see it in the pic
I had flex fuel and this dp and all i did was rehook up the wires i switched when putting in the flex kit and flashed back to my pherable gas tune and drove the car for a few days then got it inspected no issues.
tempImageFZVJFB.png
As soon as I get a chance I’m gonna take the defouler out and see.. I hope it’s that easy

OP
OP
jconnway

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Of course, it’s impossible for me to get the defouler out and I strongly suspect the whole Downpipe needs to come back out for it to be removed. I was able to take out the o2 sensor but that doesn’t really help…

Any NY guys have an experienced tuner shop they recommend? I’m tired of things getting messed up because my mechanic, who is great, just isn’t familiar enough with these kind of modifications…

Honda Civic 10th gen NY State Inspection - Readiness Monitors - Catted DP / Ktuner 3936BFAE-DA08-44AB-9D2D-F2C0D77E1C1B

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Dang, there's not enough clearance to screw that 90* defouler plug out? The defouler plug is a double edge sword. It keeps the sensor out from the exhaust stream a bit but this can cause similar but different o2 slow response fault. My rv6 catted downpipe threw the slow response code about 2 months after install with the defouler used.

Once you replace the downpipe, if you use lock washers and regular nuts instead of the GD jam nuts it will come off super easy for future removal though. Just need a jack or ramps to remove undershield to pull it out the bottom. Just need access to a jack and a workspace with just basic tools like wrenches and screwdrivers.

Your new prl cat should definitely be enough to pass, I don't think the defouler is even needed and probably giving you a slow response time. As of air quality you'll pass, just need to have all the sensors on and no disables and do a drive cycle so everything reports good. Should be able to hang on long enough before throwing cel. Also a hot cat is more efficient so dive the long route if the shop is nearby.

OP
OP
jconnway

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Dang, there's not enough clearance to screw that 90* defouler plug out? The defouler plug is a double edge sword. It keeps the sensor out from the exhaust stream a bit but this can cause similar but different o2 slow response fault. My rv6 catted downpipe threw the slow response code about 2 months after install with the defouler used.

Once you replace the downpipe, if you use lock washers and regular nuts instead of the GD jam nuts it will come off super easy for future removal though. Just need a jack or ramps to remove undershield to pull it out the bottom. Just need access to a jack and a workspace with just basic tools like wrenches and screwdrivers.

Your new prl cat should definitely be enough to pass, I don't think the defouler is even needed and probably giving you a slow response time. As of air quality you'll pass, just need to have all the sensors on and no disables and do a drive cycle so everything reports good. Should be able to hang on long enough before throwing cel. Also a hot cat is more efficient so dive the long route if the shop is nearby.
Yeah the defouler is causing the slow response code. If the o2 was plugged direct into the DP, according to PRL and a few people here that have them, there would be no CEL.

sadly, even when I took the o2 sensor out, I could only get the defouler half a turn before it contacts whatever is right there on the far side, that metal piece.

I “know” what to do, I just lack the tools and space to do it myself. Condo life.

bay_hatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That's strange, I'm running an earlier V2 catted downpipe, connected through the defouler and I have only thrown a CEL twice, each time I was able to clear them and so far it hasn't come back.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
That's strange, I'm running an earlier V2 catted downpipe, connected through the defouler and I have only thrown a CEL twice, each time I was able to clear them and so far it hasn't come back.

I didn't have a CEL for almost a whole year until time for inspection came around, since then I have never gotten the car to ready without just swapping back to stock DP. Consider yourself lucky i would say

DadBodMod17

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 4dr Si.
Country flag
Just curious. TSP notes that they won't ship the PRL HVDP to Cali or NY customers. How did you get them to ship that to you? the HVDP is on my list for future consideration but not sure the logistics of it all make sense for me.

DadBodMod17

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 4dr Si.
Country flag
No need to worry. 100% will pass.
Just make sure to enable the sensors again through ktuner
You passed NY inspection pretty easily w/ the stock tune and the GESI HVDP (among other bult-ons), correct? What county in NY did you do the inspection just out of curiosity?

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just curious. TSP notes that they won't ship the PRL HVDP to Cali or NY customers. How did you get them to ship that to you? the HVDP is on my list for future consideration but not sure the logistics of it all make sense for me.
Ship to a friend who can ship it to you? Or ship to the closest out of state warehouse, hold at warehouse for pickup, anything fedex or UPS has a home they will let it rot in until you come get it

OP
OP
jconnway

jconnway

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have a house in Jersey so that was my workaround

I believe the reason the don’t ship to NY or California is that the HVDP is as of yet not certified CARB legal or whatever it needs to be
Sponsored