Nurburgring track record

pawnstar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Has Honda confirmed they will attempt the Nurburgring FWD track record again in the LE ? I find it strange they tested for more than 2,400 miles at the 'Ring but not released an official lap time.
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
They would’ve done it already, I imagine. Probably weren’t able to beat the top dog this time.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
the LE shined at Suzuka circuit for a record time fwiw.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The LE has less unsprung weight and is lighter overall. Everything indicates that they should be able to beat their last record. Obviously, there are other factors, such as driver, weather, temperature, etc. It may also be that their tinkering with the damping characteristics aren't conducive to the wide range of bumpy surfaces on that track, who knows.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
They had nothing to gain and everything to lose by running it - best to just leave the 2017 record alone and focus on the future imo. Also they sold all LE's so not like it needed bragging rights etc..

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I did hypothesise elsewhere that they would not be able to match / exceed the times of the 2021MY / 2021LE 10G's with the 11G CTR given the limited changes to the overall platform and powertrain and have avoided releasing the times to avoid overshadowing the release.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
The Type R that made the record was preproduction car (read: not stock) with stripper interior, Cup 2 tires, etc. It’s verily likely a stock LE would not be able to top that car otherwise Honda would have surely put that in its press release.

michaeljf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 CTR LE (AUS-008)
Country flag
I've only driven my LE for 300km but the dampening is definitely stiffer than a regular Type R. I suspect that on anything aside from a fairly smooth track it won't get the best out the different steering and suspension tune.

The Cup 2s and less unsprung mass would no doubt help, but put those on a regular Type R and I think it would be just as quick on bumpier tracks.

That doesn't take away from the LE and here in Australia on a fast flowing and smooth track like Phillip Island it would put down some seriously impressive times.

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I did hypothesise elsewhere that they would not be able to match / exceed the times of the 2021MY / 2021LE 10G's with the 11G CTR given the limited changes to the overall platform and powertrain and have avoided releasing the times to avoid overshadowing the release.
If they don’t keep the weight down on the new CTR (new standard Civic is heavier) they might have a situation where the new model is a bit slower than the 10th gen. It has happened before with CTR’s (EP3 to FN2).

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The Type R that made the record was preproduction car (read: not stock) with stripper interior, Cup 2 tires, etc. It’s verily likely a stock LE would not be able to top that car otherwise Honda would have surely put that in its press release.
The tires were changed, however the stripped interior is only half the story, they stripped out enough interior to make up for the weight of the roll cage that was added in.

s2kdriver80

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY21 FK8 Honda Civic Type R, MY03 AP1 Honda S2000
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If they don’t keep the weight down on the new CTR (new standard Civic is heavier) they might have a situation where the new model is a bit slower than the 10th gen. It has happened before with CTR’s (EP3 to FN2).

"This car is bigger and heavier than the old model. So, do you want to guess how many more horsepowers it's got? Thuh-ty? Foh-ty? No. One. One mo."

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I think you called it. If the LE or 11th gen was faster around the 'RIng - you would have heard it by now.
On at least one track test, the 2020 with new two-piece brakes, etc. was actually slower than the 2017 or 2018 CTR on that same course, same driver, etc. Lots of factors affect a lap time, but still. Slower, not faster. See Fast Lane video.

So newer is not always faster.

Last edited:

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I know one of the things Throttle House said was that they were having issues getting traction with the LE because it was too stiff on their track which isn’t perfectly paved. They compared it to the Nurburgring and estimated similar issues on there. Though they also stated that the normal R could do their track perfectly fine. Makes me wonder what kind of a gain they could see just getting a normal Type R with the LE rim and tires. For reference the LE was only like 0.5s faster on their course to the normal 2020.

I don’t think it’s an issue with 2017-19 vs 2020+, rather LE vs non-LE suspension tuning.
Sponsored