Now that the Si and Type R are both available...

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
My fear is Honda may water down the Si since we are now getting the Type R in the states. If I were in the market for the Type R I'd also be worried they are going to make it even more hardcore and therefore unattainable price wise.

The fact that BOTH will be available in the same markets now, it gives Honda a reason to give them even more separation. Question is...

-More mainstream Si?
-More hardcore Type R?
-Status quo?
Sponsored

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
Status quo for both. Si is a street car that is somewhat capable on the track. The CTR is exactly the reverse.

This forum aside, most would never own a brand new CTR for the daily grind.

hothatchi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Golf Mark5
Status quo for both. Si is a street car that is somewhat capable on the track. The CTR is exactly the reverse.

This forum aside, most would never own a brand new CTR for the daily grind.
+1 and the CTR styling is a bit much to show up at some workplaces in :)

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
My fear is Honda may water down the Si since we are now getting the Type R in the states. If I were in the market for the Type R I'd also be worried they are going to make it even more hardcore and therefore unattainable price wise.

The fact that BOTH will be available in the same markets now, it gives Honda a reason to give them even more separation. Question is...

-More mainstream Si?
-More hardcore Type R?
-Status quo?
The Si may get a bit more mainstream from getting an auto transmission but otherwise I think they'll position it the same relative to the standard models. The Type R is tougher to predict since this is the first time they'll introduce it to the US market, which will likely be its biggest market, so whatever they do to it will be with heavy consideration of North American's preferences I think.

OP
OP

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
The Si may get a bit more mainstream from getting an auto transmission but otherwise I think they'll position it the same relative to the standard models. The Type R is tougher to predict since this is the first time they'll introduce it to the US market, which will likely be its biggest market, so whatever they do to it will be with heavy consideration of North American's preferences I think.
If they were heavily considering US preferences it would not be a hatchback and would probably be larger, clunkier and lose its signature flare. Probably also be an auto transmission.

Europe/Asia have always gotten the cooler cars, I just hope when they finally bring the CTR over, they give us one that is designed for overseas and not americans in mind.

RSXer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 RSX
If they were heavily considering US preferences it would not be a hatchback and would probably be larger, clunkier and lose its signature flare. Probably also be an auto transmission.

Europe/Asia have always gotten the cooler cars, I just hope when they finally bring the CTR over, they give us one that is designed for overseas and not americans in mind.
Fair point but tuning suspension/chassis settings and offering already existing transmissions to adapt for US market is easier, less costly, and less costly than bringing Type R in a new body style.

But I agree, Europe tends to get cooler cars. We sometimes get nerfed versions or not at all.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
The Type R gives Honda track/racing credibilty and buzz. It's the halo car, their only halo sports car, wearing a Honda badge currently. As with all cars like this it's not about profits or what necessarily makes sense from a business perspective. They need to keep pushing the limits of performance, for such a small volume car, it doesn't matter if it is "too hardcore" just that it gets good response from the media and enthusiast community. They need to keep the Si affordable, attainable and mainstream enough to satisfy the needs of daily drivers and performance expectations of enthusiasts at the same time. I'd love to see it gain a DCT paired with a turbo engine since it really benefits both performance and efficiency.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This one is different in that it's a global platform. A trend becoming more common in halo cars to minimize development costs. Ford and others have gone the same route with good success. Honda is simply following suit.

05 Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Si Coupe
I'm liking this trend of vehicles going all global. For Ford it seems to have benefited cars like the Mustang that get better design to cater to the European market and the US gets different body styles like hatchbacks and previously unattainable halo cars like the Focus RS and Type R. Win win win!

froidpython

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Civic Si
Ford didn't water down their Focus ST when they released the Focus RS. I don't think Honda will will water their Si down either.

OP
OP

CB22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In between cars
Ford didn't water down their Focus ST when they released the Focus RS. I don't think Honda will will water their Si down either.
Good point. Though the Focus RS became more hardcore I'd say. Definitely more of a performance delta between the two now and even more now with FWD vs. AWD. Oh what I would do for a RWD/AWD Type R.
Sponsored