Now that I have my subwoofer+monoblock installed, what should I add for the rest of the speakers?

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Keeping within a limited budget for the speaker replacements, I have had the following installed:

Monoblock Amplifier: JL Audio JX/500/1D

Subwoofer: JL Audio 12W3v3-4 (sealed enclosure)

The 4 channel Amp will be installed: Clarion XC1420.

From what I remember the amp is going to be putting out 50W per channel.

I was debating on getting all JL Audio speakers for the doors but am unsure if I am going to go that route or not as they can be pretty expensive. So what would you recommend?

Also, I've read around on here that our head unit (The android auto/apple carplay one) filters out certain frequencies from the stereo itself. Is this actually true? Or is it the non apple-car play model that does this?

It's not the end of the world if it does, because I don't drive THAT much that I would need to have a processor / EQ added... yet at least, but I do like good quality audio both at home and in my car.

So far the 12W3 sounds amazing in the hatchback (I have it facing up to not have it rattle the hatch on the outside which it did a bit.

Thanks for any suggestions. As far as budget goes I am not 100% sure on what mine is yet, but don't want to go too crazy with it.
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
Also, I've read around on here that our head unit (The android auto/apple carplay one) filters out certain frequencies from the stereo itself. Is this actually true? Or is it the non apple-car play model that does this?
I'm pretty sure no one has measured the frequency response of any of the Civic headunits except the Touring's amp outputs (which I did). I've seen RTA graphs of the speaker output of other models, but that's different since it's affected by the speakers themselves and the car's acoustics.

But the general consensus for all recent Honda vehicles seems to be that the systems without a factory subwoofer have a roll-off that removes bass at the low end. But if you're happy with how your bass sounds with the sub you added then you don't need to worry about that.

I think all Hondas also have an EQ curve across the whole frequency spectrum that's adapted to the factory speakers' characteristics and the car's acoustics. That EQ curve may not be such a good match for new speakers. Still, I haven't seen anyone on here who's just upgraded their speakers who didn't say it sounded better than the factory ones.

Last edited:

x6369x

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
I was debating on getting all JL Audio speakers for the doors but am unsure if I am going to go that route or not as they can be pretty expensive. So what would you recommend?
Everyone's ear is different, so I'd recommend going to a car stereo shop and comparing speakers side by side.

I've read that the stock head units tend of filter out the bass, so I'm in the process of installing a sub/amp and using the AudioControl LC2i with "AccuBASS processing for correction of bass roll-off".

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Everyone's ear is different, so I'd recommend going to a car stereo shop and comparing speakers side by side.

I've read that the stock head units tend of filter out the bass, so I'm in the process of installing a sub/amp and using the AudioControl LC2i with "AccuBASS processing for correction of bass roll-off".
How much is the AudioControl LC2i?

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
+100

Take your own favorite music and audition the speakers yourself. I listened to several sets of speakers from well-regarded brands and hated at least half of them.

Just because I enjoyed the Blaupunkt coaxials I had two cars ago doesn't mean you'll like them, too. ;)

OP
OP

10thDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
+100

Take your own favorite music and audition the speakers yourself. I listened to several sets of speakers from well-regarded brands and hated at least half of them.

Just because I enjoyed the Blaupunkt coaxials I had two cars ago doesn't mean you'll like them, too. ;)
Will do. The problem is car audio shops in Canada seem to be very few and far between.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Will do. The problem is car audio shops in Canada seem to be very few and far between.
I feel for ya. I used to drive all over town back home to listen to speakers at a small handful of shops, and among all of them, they had maybe half of the brands I was reading about in magazines.

This is representative of some of the recordings I used to take: ;)

Sponsored