Now at 60k miles, mileage isn't as good

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
Consider that gummies build up on the turbine blades of your turbo, the throttle body, on the backside of your intake valves.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
Wow really? So there is more than one area to watch out for carbon buildup?
I've never worked on turbos, I'm not a licensed mechanic for planes or cars, but our Pratt & Whitney PT6 engine in our aircraft have a hose coupling so the mechanics can run a blade wash procedure on them. I've never seen it done, but whether it's that engine or our car engines, they process a lot of air over time and then there's the idea of recirculating oily/gasoline air from the crankcase that comes around. I had a normally aspirated 2L, 4 cylinder Camry at about 120K miles that had a sticky gas pedal, I thought it was gummed up or rusty linkages. I was informed I had a sticky throttle plate in the throttle body. I took the breather off, took the intake hose off, removed the throttle body so it could be tilted, sprayed gunk cleaner all in the area, careful not to let any get in the engine. Cleaned it all up, put it back together, vroom, vroom. Engines process a lot of air and though the filters get the big junk, things get dirty.

wdubose05

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
How about spark plugs? Checked their gaps recently? My Ecoboost F150 would go through plugs every 30k miles. Mileage would slowly drop off as would power/responsiveness.

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Mostly hwy driving. KTuner tuned. 35k kms

Honda Civic 10th gen Now at 60k miles, mileage isn't as good 40E4CAB0-1ACC-44AD-AC5A-95F2BF8B998F

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Focus ST Line X (sold 2020 Si sedan)
Country flag
How about spark plugs? Checked their gaps recently? My Ecoboost F150 would go through plugs every 30k miles. Mileage would slowly drop off as would power/responsiveness.
Thanks, I think that's part of B, which I'll do my next visit.

With new air filter I got 39.5 mpg on a 280 mile trip today, highway but some big hills (we'd call them mountains in New England but they're really hills). I think that's decent, maybe still slightly low.

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any sources for this or are you just blowing smoke?
It's a direct injection turbo without port injection, which has been a problem for VW and others, but I wouldn't be surprised if the engineers have come up with new ways to mitigate carbon buildup.

Captaindicki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (sold)
Country flag
It's a direct injection turbo without port injection, which has been a problem for VW and others, but I wouldn't be surprised if the engineers have come up with new ways to mitigate carbon buildup.
It would be be great if the Honda engineers did. But just in case carbon may deposit itself, it probably wouldn’t hurt to give this engine an “Italian TuneUp” from time to time to help blow the crud away

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
My 2017 HB Sport is gettng close to 40K miles now...Gas Mileage seems like getting slightly better

OP
OP
VarmintCong

VarmintCong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
40 mpg today on a backroads commute, and 42-43 on highway return trip in the evening. Seems like maybe the air filter fixed it, thanks think3mm!
Sponsored