fabrizzio71

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI Coupe White Orchid Pearl
Country flag
Recently I have been noticing some new sounds on my Si. Between 3.5k and 4k rpm when letting of throttle quickly there is a swell in engine volume and sort of a raspy rattle drone type sound as the revs fall between those rpms. I only am noticing it the past couple thousand miles. There are 31,xxx miles on the car. Completely stock. I changed the air filter to an AEM drop in about 5,000 miles ago-could a drop in filter really change sound to that degree?

Also I am noticing a whining noise in higher gears, usually 4th and 5th. Gets louder when I add a little gas but I can still hear it off throttle. Is this gear whine? Planning on changing MTF soon. Any ideas? Thanks!
Sponsored

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I have 69,000 miles on my Si, and you're right. The mechanical noise has greatly increased. Where unusual for a passenger car, the sounds are not unusual for a "sports" car. All of the noise that I'm hearing is gear and bearing noise.

The only worry I have is that if I've got this level of "break in" at this milage, what will it be at twice the milage. Since I'm planning on keeping this car for well more than 200,000 miles, I guess that I'll find out.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
I have 69,000 miles on my Si, and you're right. The mechanical noise has greatly increased. Where unusual for a passenger car, the sounds are not unusual for a "sports" car. All of the noise that I'm hearing is gear and bearing noise.

The only worry I have is that if I've got this level of "break in" at this milage, what will it be at twice the milage. Since I'm planning on keeping this car for well more than 200,000 miles, I guess that I'll find out.
Did you end up riding out the stock goodyear eagle sport tires? Curious how long they lasted because at 30k miles theyve become scary in wet conditions.

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Did you end up riding out the stock goodyear eagle sport tires? Curious how long they lasted because at 30k miles theyve become scary in wet conditions.
I got them to 50k miles, and then they stranded my on the interstate, by tearing open on the inside, all the way around. I had got a "Low Pressure" warning earlier and looked at the tires. I looked but didn't measure. Warning guys, you can't tell by looking sometimes.

I hadn't noticed any added slipperiness to them, but I don't usually push a car hard during the winter.

I'm enjoying my AS3+ tires. This will be my first full winter with them.

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
I got them to 50k miles, and then they stranded my on the interstate, by tearing open on the inside, all the way around. I had got a "Low Pressure" warning earlier and looked at the tires. I looked but didn't measure. Warning guys, you can't tell by looking sometimes.

I hadn't noticed any added slipperiness to them, but I don't usually push a car hard during the winter.

Hi when you changed to michelling AS3+ tires did you changed the TCS threshold to summer tires or kept it to M+S (All season) from honda dealer?

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Kept it a all season.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'll say I noticed the gear whine when I installed my 27won rear motor mount. I also changed the mtf to Amsoil synchromesh at the same time.

I think the stiff mount is transferring the vibration into the cabin causing the whine to be audible.

I assume it's normal and not a problem. It sounds kind of cool as long as you aren't worried your tranny is going to blow.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag

Two weeks ago I installed the AS3+ tires on my Lexus, and I had some issues with them. They were so tight, they had trouble balancing them. Over a week I had to have them rebalanced 3 times! Now they are fine, but a little noisy. Great grip though

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Mine are as sucky now at 34k+ as they were when new. Still some meat on them though.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
Mine are as sucky now at 34k+ as they were when new. Still some meat on them though.
I feel like theyre a decent tire but meant for a heavier car. They corner well in the dry with the thick sidewall.

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you have exhaust-ish sounds like this:
  • raspy
  • vaguely gurgley
  • kind of sounding just short of contact noises, such as...
    • grinding
    • clattering
  • when letting off throttle
  • also when applying it lightly from idle at stop or crawling speed, that subtle space between 'gas' and 'go' if being really light with throttle
My experience is those together can be a sign of exhaust-line movement or separation. Could be a hanger tore or cracked. It doesn't need to make the car vibrate at an idle standstill either. There's also flex pipe problems, or a join/weld is leaking during normal movement and is working up to that big promotion to hole. A change in force to the engine and exhaust causes failure signs at distinct times. I've noticed sounds when the engine moves- sudden throttle and when letting off throttle. It's hard to assign it to something, because the engine lifts or settles separately from the car moving.
If you get the car in the air or jack a side up and take the underbody panel off you can inspect fairly easily. If something is failing it's likely where the drive shaft, exhaust, and engine are having a crowded party.
If something sounds like it's about to start hitting or flowing... It just may be working it's way there.

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I get an engine whine when I'm accelerating over 3500rpm in 6th gear. I'm not sure if it's normal or not but I never heard it the first 12 months. Doesn't bother me..yet.

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I get an engine whine when I'm accelerating over 3500rpm in 6th gear. I'm not sure if it's normal or not but I never heard it the first 12 months. Doesn't bother me..yet.
Why are you trying to accelerate in an overdrive gear? Especially 6th..

Masked

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
When I'm driving around 70 on the loop someone's always on my tail and I just accelerate quickly to 75-80 and hear that whine.
You shouldn't do that my man... The only thing you are doing accelerating in 6th gear is lugging the engine. If you want to accelerate, drop a gear or two, that way you are not putting a lot of stress on the engine, the turbo and the clutch.
Sponsored