notchy shifter?

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
is the 2017 6MT shifter just as notchy as the 2016?
Sponsored

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
Never drove a 2016 but the 2017 civic manual shifter in the sedan 2.0na and hatch 1.5t is notchy and looks to be the same. A lot does depend on how you shift it though. But not the same shifter as in the accord, that is for sure.

OP
OP

David Harper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic coupe
Country flag
on my 2016 2.0 LX 6MT if I shift slow and easily, like in normal driving, the shifting isn't that bad. Not the smoothest MT I ever drove, for sure, but not too bad. But if I try to shift fast, it's awful. It sometimes gets locked out of second, which is infuriating. I keep hoping it will break in, but so far that isn't happening. I even took it in to the dealer and I got it back exactly the same. So apparently this is just the way the MT is.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
on my 2016 2.0 LX 6MT if I shift slow and easily, like in normal driving, the shifting isn't that bad. Not the smoothest MT I ever drove, for sure, but not too bad. But if I try to shift fast, it's awful. It sometimes gets locked out of second, which is infuriating. I keep hoping it will break in, but so far that isn't happening. I even took it in to the dealer and I got it back exactly the same. So apparently this is just the way the MT is.
For what it's worth I've never had that issue on my 2017 6MT. I have not driven a 2016 model.

spock_here

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
That was my experience on the 2017, take it easy and it shifts fine, bang it a little hard and pretty clicky/notchy. Granted all tests were new cars so also thought it might break it. But when I hard/fast shift the accord it is a different shifter all together.

on my 2016 2.0 LX 6MT if I shift slow and easily, like in normal driving, the shifting isn't that bad. Not the smoothest MT I ever drove, for sure, but not too bad. But if I try to shift fast, it's awful. .

chuenoona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic LX, 2001 Acura CL Type-S
Country flag
Yep... It is notchy but smooth enough.. I do get failures to go into 2 and 3rd gears sometimes when shifting fast... Only real issue is the very long throws when shifting

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Never drove a 2016 but the 2017 civic manual shifter in the sedan 2.0na and hatch 1.5t is notchy and looks to be the same. A lot does depend on how you shift it though. But not the same shifter as in the accord, that is for sure.
Exactly! It is very sensitive to how you shift! If you always shift along the right patterns it is a beautiful feeling shifter but if you are unsure of the gear positions and go hit the side of the gates it starts to be notchy and stays that way for some time, until you train again to the right ways. I am getting much better at shifting and now it feels great, unlike at the beginning.

Stock_07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX
I have a 2016 civic lx sedan and the shift are great. Much better then my 14 Si. My friend has a 1.5t hatch (17) and my trans is smoother but not by much. I don't have issues switching fast or slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Vehicle Showcase
It really doesn't like to be pulled out of gear before the clutch is 100% depressed, that with trying to make the synchros do their job, leads to catching alot.

What I try and do is clutch in quickly obviously, but almost do two motions when shifting, pulling it out of gear then slightly hesitating while in neutral before slotting into the next gear. It almost feels like the the shifter is able to catch up the way it would if the linkages were rubber bands.

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm experiencing this notchy feeling now, when trying to shift fast I feel obstructions and need more force, do you guys think a weighted shift knob will help? Or maybe new transmission fluid?

myke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Hatchback LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^^I just got mine couple days ago, at first I thought the shift knob was a bit whimpy, now I kind of like it...

I'm used to a 5-speed, so driving on the highway I mentally need the shifter up and to the right, but now in 6th my brain keeps thinking I'm in 4th...

SoCalCivicSI

Car Addict
First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
South Carolina Near Spartanburg, formally So Cal
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic SI, 2006 2.4 5 Speed EX Accord Sedan, 1973 Ford Ranchero 500, 351 C with 73 Boss 351 block and internals, Holley 750, Edelbrock manifold
Country flag
30K on my 18 SI and it's the most notchy manual I've EVER had, (I'm turning 60 this month and I've owned MANY manuals)........that, and the no radio knob are my only complaints.
downshifting into 2nd get s a lot of "gear crunching" have to be VERY precise pushing in the clutch when downshifting.
I'm going to take it to the dealer soon to see if they can do anything....might try changing the gear oil too.
Sponsored