nicky8668

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport Sedan
Country flag
Just took delivery. I usually change all my new car oil after 1000-2000 miles. Before I drove off the dealers lot, the mechanic who prep my CTR told me specifically not to change the oil too soon, he said I should keep the factory fill for at least a good gentle (below 4000 rpm for first 1000 miles) 6000-8000 miles before changing because factory fill has additives to help break in. When did you guys changed out your factory fill? Thanks.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Ran my MM down for the first fill, I was told the same. I think it has a more robust additive package (zinc?). One late oil change doesn't kill a motor, and I wasn't tuned at the time.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag
First oil change, wait MM said 15%
Don't do oil change too early, car engine are not same as in 30 years ago

Ronin73

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic EX-L
Country flag
There is no such thing as changing a new car engine oil "too early." Change it when you want. The Honda oil is nothing special but there is a lot of moly in it from assembly lube.

You can drive it off the lot and go home and change it or you can leave it in until the MM gets to 0% or anything in between. It's entirely up to you.

Personally, I change mine out at 1,000 miles on all new vehicles to my preferred synthetic and preferred oil filter. Then I follow the MM. Why do I wait until 1,000 miles? I don't know really, that just seems like a good number.

Jwc413

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8
Country flag
Damn I changed my oil at 1700 miles with Honda ultimate synthetic. I thought I was doing something good lol

DKL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Challenger Hellcat. '06 Z4 '97 Supra '18 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Lots of different opinions out there, hard to know what to believe. I drained my factory fill at about 100 miles, put in conventional 5w20 Castrol + Redline break in additive, drove gently for another 500 miles, drained and put in Amsoil SS 5w30

Deleted member 51112

I changed factory fill at 3k miles because it was 6 months old by then. I did my 2nd oil change at 7,500 miles because another 6 months had gone by. The longer you let blow by dilution sit in oil the more acidic that oil becomes, that's why I change any oil on a time frame, not a mileage amount. On cars where I ran a tune with more than 10% ethanol, I change oil even quicker due to increased blow by and acidity build up. If some tech ever said that to me, I would have laughed at him. Modern engines don't need much of a break in period...I varied my speed/rpm for the first several hundred miles then give em the beans, I've owned 6 new cars in my lifetime, I've always followed the same protocol, never had issues with my engines. My dad used to say (several decades ago) "break em in like you're gonna run em." "but always change that oil every 6 months no matter what". Dad's advice has always worked well for me...
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator: