Not sure if I should be proud or worried.

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
Don’t let anyone give you grief. You did a very generous thing for your son. We just bought our 16 year old son a Civic Si coupe for similar reasons. I keep hearing stories of kids getting killed in car wrecks in older vehicles that aren’t as safe as newer cars. The peace of mind is worth it to me. It’s not like you bought him a GT350 or Porsche. Even if you did it’s no ones business what you do with your money.
My parents gave me a 1990 Accord coupe manual when I was 16 (and one for my twin brother too). My dad worked really hard and so do I. It’s ok to be generous with your kids.
exactly. You show them to be generous and take care of others. And they work hard if they see you working hard.
Sponsored

CastorX

First Name
Balázs
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo Sport Plus
Country flag
Don’t let anyone give you grief. You did a very generous thing for your son. We just bought our 16 year old son a Civic Si coupe for similar reasons. I keep hearing stories of kids getting killed in car wrecks in older vehicles that aren’t as safe as newer cars. The peace of mind is worth it to me. It’s not like you bought him a GT350 or Porsche. Even if you did it’s no ones business what you do with your money.
My parents gave me a 1990 Accord coupe manual when I was 16 (and one for my twin brother too). My dad worked really hard and so do I. It’s ok to be generous with your kids.
I think many people just can’t really imagine the situation in which they can buy such an expensive gift to their teenager children. Including me. :) but that’s my lack of imagination.

It’s strange to read these stuff. This “car as a gift” thing is very american I think. I heared about it first in mercan movies and never knew anyone who got a new car from their parents so young (if at all). In the EU you must be I think at least 17 to drive a car, and public transport is much better here than in the US. These might also be reasons. Also, new cars are more expensive here and there are a lot less parking spaces.

Otherwise the Si is a good choice. Buying a TypeR would have been a bad idea, but not the Si.

Lyttle

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
That’s awesome, I am only 23 now but I’ve always been on the edge with cars and didn’t actually appreciate them till I ended up getting my own, I imagine if I got a car like that at 16 I would of ended up obsessed earlier.

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I think many people just can’t really imagine the situation in which they can buy such an expensive gift to their teenager children. Including me. :) but that’s my lack of imagination.

It’s strange to read these stuff. This “car as a gift” thing is very american I think. I heared about it first in mercan movies and never knew anyone who got a new car from their parents so young (if at all). In the EU you must be I think at least 17 to drive a car, and public transport is much better here than in the US. These might also be reasons. Also, new cars are more expensive here and there are a lot less parking spaces.

Otherwise the Si is a good choice. Buying a TypeR would have been a bad idea, but not the Si.

There is very limited public transportation in our area. If he took a bus to school, it's still a 15 minute drive to the bus which costs $100/month per person . Both of my kids play sports so that means they stay after school and STILL need a ride home from school (25-45 minute drive depending on traffic).

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
There is very limited public transportation in our area. If he took a bus to school, it's still a 15 minute drive to the bus which costs $100/month per person . Both of my kids play sports so that means they stay after school and STILL need a ride home from school (25-45 minute drive depending on traffic).
I think the beauty of traditional Honda Civics is that they didn't have crazy power in stock form and yet were relatively fun. The new Civics are a different breed as are the new Corollas. I think the SI is a great car for the money. It has a lot in it. My son is now 24 and he is too sedentary so I would buy him a Subaru wagon or little truck because those promote activities. I think many kids today are indoors too much. There is a car culture as well that is inviting to kids wanting to mod, but it gets expensive and possibly even destructive. In an accident these Civics can be safe and disposable, but better to never get in an accident to begin with. And to me being cool is about learning to be confident in your person and not in your car. The Corolla is a good, straightfforward option that looks good, lasts forever, and rides well.

If I did it again I would literally force my son to work on a car build with me, and get him a couple of bicycles, or perhaps buy a small pick-up and put it to work feeding animals or taking our mountain bikes to the trails. Or a little Subaru Outback a young kid can take off-road. The right little car (or truck) can do some wonderful things, in terms of functionality. In the end I think the new SI is better for someone older than 23 years of age, able to enjoy the balance of practicality, economy, and fun...and limitations.

Vic_L

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
In that case, having your son(s) drive the Civic to and from school would be win-win situation.
Relieves the need for you to drive them to and from school.
Puts more responsibility and independence on your son(s).
If they are late for school, it's on them haha.

My brother and I were lucky enough to be ~15 minute walking distance from high school.
Given how our parents raised us, we were "babied", especially my younger brother.
There are positive and negatives with that.

I can see where you are coming from.
Reliable A to B car that could be passed down / shared with between the two kids.

If your son asks for a Type-R, don't cave in...he's on his own for that. ?

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
In that case, having your son(s) drive the Civic to and from school would be win-win situation.
Relieves the need for you to drive them to and from school.
Puts more responsibility and independence on your son(s).
If they are late for school, it's on them haha.

My brother and I were lucky enough to be ~15 minute walking distance from high school.
Given how our parents raised us, we were "babied", especially my younger brother.
There are positive and negatives with that.

I can see where you are coming from.
Reliable A to B car that could be passed down / shared with between the two kids.

If your son asks for a Type-R, don't cave in...he's on his own for that. ?
edit just for jerryvvv: I also present facts in a light most favorable to my client in the expectation of a generous fee. ;)

My parents came to the US with nothing and worked their asses off to provide for us. My brother and I were given most everything that we asked for but we were raised to value education and hard work. BTW this is my brother's Honda he bought, with his own money, when he was in his 20s:
Honda Civic 10th gen Not sure if I should be proud or worried. NSX

Last edited:

IronFusion

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Coupe EX-L
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
We bought our 16yo a 2020 Si. He really isn't into the car culture and we kinda forced him to get a manual.
I have an Infiniti G37S that has a lot of modifications and my wife HATES it so when my son asked about doing straight pipes on his car that has 2500 miles; my wife was livid!

When she left; I told him we should consider a cat-back instead but I'm not paying for any mods so he needs to get a job. And that rabbit hole gets expensive very quickly. I did offer to get him tint though. (up to legal limits)
He wants something, he works to earn it. Not much better lesson/value for an adolescent to learn.
Sponsored