Not sure if I should be proud or worried.

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
We bought our 16yo a 2020 Si. He really isn't into the car culture and we kinda forced him to get a manual.
I have an Infiniti G37S that has a lot of modifications and my wife HATES it so when my son asked about doing straight pipes on his car that has 2500 miles; my wife was livid!

When she left; I told him we should consider a cat-back instead but I'm not paying for any mods so he needs to get a job. And that rabbit hole gets expensive very quickly. I did offer to get him tint though. (up to legal limits)
Sponsored

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This is a honest tough love response :flame:

Isn't into the car culture - Strike 1
"Kinda" "forced" to get manual - Strike 2
Wife doesn't approve - Strike 3

Kid feels maybe "obligated to be like dad" asks for straight pipe
now kids has to get job to pay for straight pipe

Wife is upset again - ball game

Doublestack00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Advise him to get a downpipe instead, the car will sound good and not be obnoxious.

It will also actually add power (not sure you want that though). These cars gain ZERO HP when adding exhaust.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Oof... Thank the lord I'm not married lol. Couldn't imagine having to worry about someone else's opinion on my car mods.

biosses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Country flag
We bought our 16yo a 2020 Si. He really isn't into the car culture and we kinda forced him to get a manual.
I have an Infiniti G37S that has a lot of modifications and my wife HATES it so when my son asked about doing straight pipes on his car that has 2500 miles; my wife was livid!

When she left; I told him we should consider a cat-back instead but I'm not paying for any mods so he needs to get a job. And that rabbit hole gets expensive very quickly. I did offer to get him tint though. (up to legal limits)
16yo with 2020 civic and moding. yikes. Be fun and expensive.

Braiton

First Name
SI_GFX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 19'
Country flag
Beautiful car. Wifey is maybe afraid of him probably driving too fast/chaotically if he modded it a lot, or she doesn’t want him to spend his money on the rabbit hole how his dad maybe spends all his money on?
Haha that’s what I’d assume. Either way I just got my si, I’m 27, girls always trying to get me not to spend on the car, but that’s what we do we spend on the car. Haha. Once you get addicted it’s over so maybe she’s trying to stray him away from that. Was It your idea or her idea to force him to get a manual? Maybe she didn’t want him to get a sports car in the first place, but didn’t want to ruin your dreams of your kid to follow in your footsteps so she went along with it.

if I was 16 and had this car It probably would’ve been a bad story and if I modded a car at 16 It prob would’ve been even worse.

but in a positive outlook, It’ll be great for him to learn how cars work, It might make him figure out what he wants to do in life, It will keep him focused on goals, short term and long term. And teach him how to value his money (in a way).

Nonetheless I wish you all the best, I don’t have any kids, but I’m sure it’s all filled with difficult decisions where you think profusely of all of the possible outcomes.

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
16yr old straight to a '20 SI, made flex in high school, you're a good pops. Got me a nice 06 civic as a first car when I turned 18. :drive:

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
There are a lot of reasons why we got the car but our plan is that our 16 yo gets the car through high school and then it goes to his brother (14 yo) for use in high school. The car needs to be reliable and I don't want to fight the dealer for a warranty claim. I've spent a lot of hours and money on my car and ain't doing it for anyone else. :D

Rustlinjimmies

First Name
Meh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
There are a lot of reasons why we got the car but our plan is that our 16 yo gets the car through high school and then it goes to his brother (14 yo) for use in high school. The car needs to be reliable and I don't want to fight the dealer for a warranty claim. I've spent a lot of hours and money on my car and ain't doing it for anyone else. :D
I respect that, when I was 16 my dad got me a job to get a car lmao at the time I hated it but now I look back and it made me appreciate what I had and I loved that old 99' acura TL I got for 3k

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
yes she should be mad,

she has a husband who is not teaching thier grown child about responsibility, growing up, and how to earn a living.

this kid is learning at a young age that everything will be handed to him in life,

he has just been given a brand new car for free, he doesn't work, and now even if he gets a job, he is being taught that everything he earns is disposable income to spend on modifications for his free car.

how about teaching the kid about saving and investing money for his future???

instead of teaching him to blow everything he earns on his car???

the red flags are going off in moms head......and rightfully so

if they dont correct this problem soon, they are going to end up with a 40 year old man-child living in their basement, who never had a job in his lifetime.....but hey, at least he will have a nice car :rolleyes:

that's a pretty wild extrapolation but ok? This was just a funny family conversation/anecdote that I wanted to share; didn't mean to trigger anyone.

OP
OP

RKS17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G37s
Country flag
I respect that, when I was 16 my dad got me a job to get a car lmao at the time I hated it but now I look back and it made me appreciate what I had and I loved that old 99' acura TL I got for 3k
Both the kids will be working this summer when places open up. They don't have time to work during the school year. They also know that they are fortunate and are empathetic towards people that aren't as fortunate/lucky.
Sponsored