Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Installed some catless Dp over the weekend and realized no longer reaching targeted boost, reaching 20/21 psi of boost instead of usually 23/25, with phearable 1.5r tune, currently 66 degrees over here, I took the turbo inlet pipe so I’m guessing the gaskets need replacing, a tech in my shop suggested it’s just cause of easier flow but I have my doubts, what do y’all think?
Sponsored

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The TIP is where I'd start. Did you reuse the gasket? Bad juju on that gasket. The downpipe gasket is reusable but not so much the TIP one.

OP
OP
Xlohen

Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The TIP is where I'd start. Did you reuse the gasket? Bad juju on that gasket. The downpipe gasket is reusable but not so much the TIP one.
Yeah lol I ended up reusing the TIP gaskets, but I did order some new ones yesterday that should get here today, hopefully that will just fix the issue

LBP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think the tech is correct. IIRC our ECUs use torque targets based on airflow/volume and fueling measurements and the improved flow efficiency of the new downpipe could allow your engine to reach the torque target at a lower boost pressure. The good news is that you’re making power more efficiently and have a bit more overhead from which to extract power. The slightly less good news is that you’ll need a custom tune to fully take advantage of it.

I had a similar experience when I upgraded my downpipe without a retune - dropped about 1.5psi off peak boost yet the butt dyno said the car definitely wasn’t any slower.

In this case, as long as your fuel trims are good, I think you can just send it. Get a custom tune at some point and enjoy.

OP
OP
Xlohen

Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think the tech is correct. IIRC our ECUs use torque targets based on airflow/volume and fueling measurements and the improved flow efficiency of the new downpipe could allow your engine to reach the torque target at a lower boost pressure. The good news is that you’re making power more efficiently and have a bit more overhead from which to extract power. The slightly less good news is that you’ll need a custom tune to fully take advantage of it.

I had a similar experience when I upgraded my downpipe without a retune - dropped about 1.5psi off peak boost yet the butt dyno said the car definitely wasn’t any slower.

In this case, as long as your fuel trims are good, I think you can just send it. Get a custom tune at some point and enjoy.
Having to retune for more power is never bad news 😂 thanks for the info!!

m_kluch

First Name
Maryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Are you reaching your target air charge when looking at a datalog? Thats what you would look for instead of target psi.

OP
OP
Xlohen

Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are you reaching your target air charge when looking at a datalog? Thats what you would look for instead of target psi.
I’ll try to data log today and see

OP
OP
Xlohen

Xlohen

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Either way by the end of the day I’m changing out the gaskets for good measure got both for 14 bucks straight from honda

rtypefk8

First Name
rtype
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
type R
Country flag
Thanks, I am also about to do that install. Will make sure I get new ones

dstix747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks, I am also about to do that install. Will make sure I get new ones
I would think the tip would come with that gasket. My 27won tip did but I'm not sure whether other brands include it. Also don't forget to clean the mating surface with window cleaner.
Sponsored