Not ENOUGH Power?

Siiick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 20 Bolt EV, 19 Z06
Country flag
My Civic when it was still stock had a nice power-to-weight ratio but my Fiesta felt just a tad bit faster due to having a few more lb ft of torque and weighing about 100 lbs less. I haven't ran them together but I would guess stock-for-stock, the Fiesta would pull it by a cxnt hair. Would love to see how much of an advantage the Civic has with the Phearable tune. I only ever run map 1 (20psi) and it feels plenty fast.

If you just want acceleration and care about nothing else, I agree with the previous members - American muscle is where its at. Over the last 8 years I have owned a 13 Mustang GT, 15 Challenger Scat Pack, 17 Camaro ZL1, and now my 19 Corvette Z06. Its the gobs of torque and RWD that makes them so much fun. The Mustang revved the highest @ 7k rpm redline and I really enjoyed that. Solid axle was a little scary though. The Challenger was a tub but it had no problem getting up to speed. The exhaust note from the factory was incredible. The Camaro was a mix between the Challenger and the Corvette - felt kind of big and heavy but moved like a bat out of hell. The Corvette is easily the best of the bunch. World class performance and handling for not a lot of money.
Sponsored

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
You wonā€™t get to the numbers youā€™re drooling over with bolt ons though, and the money to build a car to that lev

how is ososik at 695whp with Hondata ?
Cuase port injection, nitrous, ect. Have you seen that beast lol

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Also pockets arnt deep. Just a dumb 24 year old that prioritized things wrong lol. Lesson learned.
kshawn and OP... we all were young once. Hopefully some guys here listen to some of what the more "seasoned" folks on here say. I understand why the idea of huge power is a goal but you have to look at things on balance.

1. You can't just throw on bolt ons and crank it for max power. You need have the power curve in the right place for some margin of safety.

2. You need to have the money to not only pay for your bolt ons and custom tune up front but the extra $$ to spend on the very inevitable cost of a replacement motor and/ or transmission.

3. A project like this can't be to show who's got the biggest dick (most power). That's just stupid.

4. Knowing in advance that 400/400 on this platform is problematic you need to seriously consider either a) tempering your expectations, or b) trade for something that's more capable of handling big power.

Having said that, I think an Si with a moderate tune is an amazing car. You get a nice balance of power, handling and economy.

On the other hand, let's say you could achieve 400/400. Now you car's balance is out of whack. You almost have too much power for the stock brakes, tires and chassis. To balance that back out you then need to spend another shitload of money. And no matter what, odds are you've reduced reliability by a big margin.

To me, in the long run it's just a frustrating money pit of an idea. But hey, maybe you guys have more money to blow than I do. :cool:

Last edited:

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cuase port injection, nitrous, ect. Have you seen that beast lol
I saw the vid. ?

i didnā€™t know it ran nitrous though.

(edit: that emoji definitely didnā€™t look that bad on the phone)

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Iā€™ve been there... same age and tried to reach deeper and eventually found nothing but lint and had to quit. Iā€™m there on my Z and have probably $20-25k in a car that might be worth $10k. Iā€™ve got deeper pockets these years and on that specific car my heart is still bigger than my brain. No shame in it... especially if the journey was more important as the destination. That car will never be done but itā€™s taken 7 years to burn what I have thus far.

I still donā€™t know whoā€™s done 400 hp before ā€œpretty easilyā€. You are one of the few I know of that should have gotten close with a bigger turbo pushing gobs of boost and meth... not to mention engine work and everything else. A block got sacrificed to the HP gods along the way. They are cruel sometimes.
So should a z be off my list of replacements lol.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
350* is the limit Iā€™d say for fairly easily acquiring power on the si.

definitely at that number youā€™d be insane to still be running stock internals, trans without thinking something will break eventually.

I just want 275 on 92. I think thatā€™s achievable on the W1, W2* or the rv6 turbo(all being drop ins. )
Thatā€™s, I think, a reasonable goal. A W1 cracked 280 whp on 91 octane w/a tune with some supporting mods (CAI, DP, IC) on their blog and you need only ~250 ft-lbs to make 300 hp near redline. A good custom tune can really smooth the torque hit in the midrange and keep things relatively gentle on the stock engine. I saw a dyno that pretty much locked in 250 ft-lbs on a CVT car and held it all the way to redline.

Iā€™m very interested to see what the W2 brings to the table. W1s has a solid discount on Black Friday (at least there was last year)... I think either 10 or 15% too... not sure the W2 will make it by then.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I saw the vid. ?

i didnā€™t know it ran nitrous though.

(edit: that emoji definitely didnā€™t look that bad on the phone)
Haha it looks fine. But yah I spotted his foger nozzles next to his port injection.

mauiSI19

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Iā€™m with kshawn and Charlie, Iā€™ll have the si for a couple years, and Iā€™m still spending money modifying it but I definitely want something with power already in the future. Where the only mods I really need to do is suspension and wheels.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A Z32 is... well... itā€™s what it is. An obsolete car, pre-OBD2, limited production at the time with parts availability drying up year by year. Pretty difficult to work on.

That being said... I do still love the old cars. Going with a Z34/370z gives the ability to buy an old relatively cheap car as they released as an ā€˜09 model year...parts are easy to come by, including from the junkyard. Low to mid 300 whp off the stock engine is realistic with bolt ons. There are a few Achilles heel issues with the car (see the stuff on the clutch cylinders, for example) but they can be corrected. Going turbo is as pricey as any NA conversion but... doable. The blown Mustang is probably better bang-for-the-buck but if you love Zs... then thereā€™s no way to get away from them. That... or get an old S30 car (240/260/280z) and drop a small block Chevy V8 engine transmission in it... get the body squared away, new suspension and brakes and go wild. I had a 280z for a short time with that intention... but when the Z32 popped up for sale nearby, I passed it along.

Zs are addictive. Iā€™ve had 5.

2020PWPV2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si Sedan
Country flag
I also want a 370z... to keep my GT350 company. Don't buy an Si for big powa, that is all I have to say. Its a great daily though and I love the boosty sounds.

SixSpeeder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Country flag
I had a 2006 350z and test drove a 370z when they first came out. They are great cars with dramatic handling (they can bite you if you're not careful compared to the way some RWD cars are tuned to be more neutral at the limit, they oversteer easily in a delightful way). But dollar for dollar, there's no beating an American V8 when you start to modify them. The amount of power that you can make N/A with a cam/cams and bolt-ons is impressive, and you can do it relatively reliably. Given the same amount of dollars in mods, a Camaro/Mustang will pull gaps on a 370z while having a less stressed out engine. There's truth behind the old saying that there's no replacement for displacement. Go check out some of the pony car forums and see what some of the builds on there are making powerwise, it's bonkers.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
When I got my SI I was looking for a fun daily to tweak with. My goals have just changed. And I should probably find a platform that's better suited for some high power. Or who knows rn I'm peeved at my car. Next week I may be happy with it.

What a toxic relationship xD

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
For those that were talking about the Z - check out Nior.TM
Heā€™s doing a Q60 swap into his Z. Itā€™s interesting and a little ā€˜all over the place hahaā€™ but worth a look bc it seems like a good idea but of course is met with its own issues etc

Neciovato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 370z Nismo
Country flag
I had a 2006 350z and test drove a 370z when they first came out. They are great cars with dramatic handling (they can bite you if you're not careful compared to the way some RWD cars are tuned to be more neutral at the limit, they oversteer easily in a delightful way). But dollar for dollar, there's no beating an American V8 when you start to modify them. The amount of power that you can make N/A with a cam/cams and bolt-ons is impressive, and you can do it relatively reliably. Given the same amount of dollars in mods, a Camaro/Mustang will pull gaps on a 370z while having a less stressed out engine. There's truth behind the old saying that there's no replacement for displacement. Go check out some of the pony car forums and see what some of the builds on there are making powerwise, it's bonkers.
^THIS

I think people decide to go with the Z bc it offers more than just HP -to me it has a timeless design, good recaros from factory in the Nismo 2015+ edition and really good handling all while being something different than a Mustang or Camaro - but I do agree - big HP is best found in American Muscle.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
^THIS

I think people decide to go with the Z bc it offers more than just HP -to me it has a timeless design, good recaros from factory in the Nismo 2015+ edition and really good handling all while being something different than a Mustang or Camaro - but I do agree - big HP is best found in American Muscle.
Iā€™ve never really wanted a Charger/Camaro/Mustang. I didnā€™t care about Hondaā€™s/Acuraā€™s until my wife got the RSX Type S back in ā€˜09 (yes... her decision. I preferred the WRX we checked out but she got final choice). C5 and newer Corvettes are kind of cool but Iā€™ve never been in one and have no great desire to own one. Iā€™ve lusted over Z cars since before I was old enough to drive. It just bites some of us. Iā€™ve done a few Z meets with people younger than me and so old they probably shouldnā€™t have license anymore who owned their first Zs a half century ago. For some folks... theyā€™re the sports car, whether objectively any other car is actually better.

Itā€™s a shame that Nissan let the 370, which I thought was too mild of a refresh of the 350, go so long and languish. I kind of donā€™t know the language or direction of the company. I though they weā€™re really killing it mid-00s with the 350 that got something like 3 or 4 powertrain tweaks over the 350s life and a decent mid-cycle update to square away the interior. The 370s just sort of died on the vine. Still a capable sports car... I guess think theyā€™re a terrible new value and a good used value. That or the last 2 years of the 350s with the HR engine.
Sponsored