First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hatch Sport, 2018 CW CTR
Country flag
Bought a 2018 CW yesterday.

Washed and waxed her today, she was flawless.

Goes to the grocery store, never even came close to any curbs; comes home to this.

The cut closest to the rim looks clean, with a gouge to the right of the picture. It's holding pressure fine and appears to damage the guard ( and the rim :( ).

Not a sweet clue about what I may have run over.

Honda Civic 10th gen Not a good first day IMG_20200718_151502
Sponsored

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Did you purchase insurance for the rims? Usually the dealership offer that thing and they’ll replace the curb rashed rim.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I get it. The 30 profile tires look cool and help the handling but they are barely usable on many real world city streets and the tire's soft compound means they hardly last. I think 19's would have been a better choice by Honda.

OP, sorry for yor rough start.

Last edited:

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
you could have just barely kissed a curb on a turn or in the drivethru and just not even noticed.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
looks like a pothole hit, since the sidewall doesnt look scraped.

OP
OP

rojohi

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
you could have just barely kissed a curb on a turn or in the drivethru and just not even noticed.
Nope, from my house to the store, there are no curbs

I knew the risks going in, just odd not knowing eactly how it happened.

Sil98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Type R, '08 Kia Sorento, '03 WRX, '97 Del Sol Si, '90 Supercharged TA
Country flag
How many kilometers were on your car when you picked it up?

Are you sure the wheels were mint at time of delivery (easy to miss minor damage if you are real excited)?

Last edited:

CBPFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8
Country flag
Somehow, the scrape on the inner (recessed) part of the rim makes me less inclined to think it was a curb or a pothole.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Somehow, the scrape on the inner (recessed) part of the rim makes me less inclined to think it was a curb or a pothole.
That slice looking mark on the inner rubber where the tire runs into the bead is exactly from a pothole or divot impact. The tire “pinched” itself from the impact compression that you can see on the sidewall and then rim itself physically hit the asphalt as the tire could no longer compress to shield the rim. I did this exact thing on my Miata. Love from zero profile tires!

CBPFK8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 FK8
Country flag
That slice looking mark on the inner rubber where the tire runs into the bead is exactly from a pothole or divot impact. The tire “pinched” itself from the impact compression that you can see on the sidewall and then rim itself physically hit the asphalt as the tire could no longer compress to shield the rim. I did this exact thing on my Miata. Love from zero profile tires!
I think I was actually looking at the reflection of OP's shoes on the rim, thinking it was a scrape. Haha derp..

That being said, I agree. Looks consistent with a pothole. You'd think OP would've noticed a hit like that while driving though.

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
It’s absolutely heart breaking at any time, let alone the first day. Not sure if your gonna get it fixed but in the meantime and regardless get yourself a black gloss touch up pen, you won’t see it from a metre out and I am afraid this won’t be the last time. I am at peace with my chipped wheels....but I am 30k in! Times a healer op, times a healer

OP
OP

rojohi

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How many kilometers were on your car when you picked it up?

Are you sure the wheels were mint at time of delivery (easy to miss minor damage if you are real excited)?
2800, and I detailed it this morning so I can say with certainty when it happened

2017civicext

R-15474
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2021 CBP Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Sorry man, not a fun start. The tire/wheel combo on these cars are my only complaint. It drives great and I see why Honda did it. However i feel nervous whenever im on crappy roads. (which seems to be often)

NYR2424

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
4,400 miles on mine. Got a flat tire last night driving on the highway. Must of hit pothole going 80 mph. Had to get her towed to Honda dealership. Not fun. Ridiculous OEM tire setup and not practical for New Jersey. Shitty roads and winter weather.

Getting 18" wheels/tires installed this week.
Sponsored