Normal AC Operation (Sound)

sergeadmin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2010 Civic DX, 2004 Pilot EX-L
Country flag
Hello all, Second day of owning my new 2016 Civic. (2.0L Version).
The more you drive, the more you hear the car. I started hearing a noise, when the aircon is on, regardless of mode/temp, very faint and very infrequent, and I am wondering if it's supposed to sound like that or if it's not normal. The car has roughly 200 miles on it.
When the compressor turns on, for a second or so, I hear almost a whistling noise, very faint, if the audio is on 4 or above, you can't hear it. The sound is reminiscent of an "ssss" sound and whistling. it happens every 30 seconds to a minute, and I was wondering if it's something to do with the Variable Displacement Compressor in the Civic.

Basically, in ideal silent conditions, if you turn on your aircon, Set it to front blowers (no feet, etc), set the fan speed to low, can you hear anything BUT the fans and the compressor kicking in occasionally?

Thanks!
Sponsored

dgarcia619

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
Vehicle Showcase
I know what you're talking about. I get that "hissing" sound also every once in a while. I'm assuming that its normal. I haven't felt temperature wise of the A/C any difference whether I hear the sound or not.

OP
OP

sergeadmin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX, 2010 Civic DX, 2004 Pilot EX-L
Country flag
Thanks! Just before you replied I got a message from the rep of Honda, he said that it's normal. It's caused by pressure equalization through the system.
Thanks!
Sponsored