Noob Question: HKS parts and smog tests in California?

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
Hey guys, i'm about to pull the trigger on some bolt ons: specifically the HKS Intercooler kit and the legamax exhaust. i also have my eye on a cold air intake later on down the line. Am I going to have any issues passing smog in California? This is my DD and I know i have a few more years before I have to worry about that, but I just want to know ift.
Sponsored

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
Hey guys, i'm about to pull the trigger on some bolt ons: specifically the HKS Intercooler kit and the legamax exhaust. i also have my eye on a cold air intake later on down the line. Am I going to have any issues passing smog in California? This is my DD and I know i have a few more years before I have to worry about that, but I just want to know ift.
Yes for the intake.
Intercooler does not need a SMOG verification I believe (someone can quote me if I’m wrong)
Exhaust you should pass, only have to worry about cops. Anything after the cutback doesn’t get smog. (Someone can quote me if I’m wrong on this too)

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
that's a shame about the intake. a tune wouldn't help with that would it?

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes for the intake.
Intercooler does not need a SMOG verification I believe (someone can quote me if I’m wrong)
Exhaust you should pass, only have to worry about cops. Anything after the cutback doesn’t get smog. (Someone can quote me if I’m wrong on this too)
You are correct, the only part that will have smog issues is the intake of those 3. I purposely run an intake with a carb sticker for that reason. Of course you could always just swap out the intake to stock when it's time to smog which is super easy. Now if a cop at some checkpoints ever does stop you to have you pop your hood that's another time you could have an issue with the intake. I know here in San Diego in the beach areas they would sometimes do that in the past on cars that appeared modified.

markie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si 2020
Country flag
You are correct, the only part that will have smog issues is the intake of those 3. I purposely run an intake with a carb sticker for that reason. Of course you could always just swap out the intake to stock when it's time to smog which is super easy. Now if a cop at some checkpoints ever does stop you to have you pop your hood that's another time you could have an issue with the intake. I know here in San Diego in the beach areas they would sometimes do that in the past on cars that appeared modified.
You could “kinda” get away with the PRL COBRA since the filter is super hidden haha

caLiCTR

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
From my understanding, Smog on newer cars is all done via the OBDII port, some stations will do visuals while others solely rely on the data from the vehicle’s ECU. Another issue is that if you jailbreak your ECU, the data will show that it’s been modified and may be a cause not to pass.

OP
OP
onions

onions

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 992
Country flag
wait. another question that didn't occur to me until just now: with the intercooler and exhaust, i'm not going to need a tune or anything am i? i haven't pulled the trigger on a tuner yet.

Josh May

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban, CRV, S2000
Country flag
wait. another question that didn't occur to me until just now: with the intercooler and exhaust, i'm not going to need a tune or anything am i? i haven't pulled the trigger on a tuner yet.
You should either get a tune or Hondata for a base map with those parts

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, you won’t need a tune for the intercooler or catback exhausts to run correctly. Changes to the downpipe you’d need a tune to maximize gains and/or remove CEL’s.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Intercooler is subject to visual inspection in CA. Greddy has several intercoolers that are CARB legal.

Will the smog tech actually check the intercooler? Maybe, maybe not. But if he does, and it isn’t a CARB legal piece, it will fail inspection.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Intercooler changes do not need EO CARB certification on gasoline powered vehicles, intakes will need to be CARB legal as mentioned. Smogs model year 2000+ are performed using the OBD port AND with a visual inspection. Every vehicle gets a visual inspection, only difference is newer vehicle use the on-board diagnosis to evaluate the emissions vs. the old BAR97 drive on machines that take actual readings.

In all honesty, I've been looking closely at the TC and TCR series cars for inspiration. Factory race teams are not deviating much from stock, stock intercoolers, stock or near stock intakes. Most dyno comparisons I've seen show losses as well until you start going more heavily modded. Why make less power, cause more wear, and have to deal with smog/cops now?

san44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR CW
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why make less power, cause more wear, and have to deal with smog/cops now?

Because wooooshy sounds lol

On the real, I’m probably sticking to the stock intake for the reasons you stated, but boy those after market intakes produce such a loud satisfying sound. Definitely louder than an aftermarket panel filter.

caLiCTR

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Based on Hondata’s intake test comparison, I’m sticking with my stock intake assembly, I only did a K&N drop-in filter. Plus I won’t have to worry if cops want to look under the hood.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
maybe more in CA where you have to worry about it, deff not worth the headache with smog/cops.
i think the PRL intake was worth every penny for the spooly/whoooshy noises alone lol
Sponsored