Pitt-Civ

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Explorer, 2020 Civic Hatch EX
Country flag
Dumpster fire like tacomaworld all over again. I thought I left that kind of forum when I traded in my Tacoma.

thanks for the great info guys...

Don’t worry about my finances. I’m asking about a cosmetic lowering kit. I pay a company to handle my finances.
Not sure what half this was, but trust me this is a pretty good forum with a ton of great people willing to help.

Many are really knowledgeable about upgrades, cosmetics, etc. Don't let 1 or 2 discourage you from sticking around. Plus I have the same ride, and can't wait to see what you do.
Sponsored

OP
OP

HHolt

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (CVT)
Country flag
Thanks to those for the informational responses.

Any thoughts on going with springs vs coilovers? Like I said before this drop is purely for aesthetics but I don’t mind doing it right the first time and just grabbing coilovers. Also, at what drop amount will I need a rear camber kit? I’m coming from a tacoma and on lifted trucks we change out upper control arms in the front to allow for better caster numbers for both tire fitment in the wheel wells and alignment numbers. Is the rear camber kit doing something similar? I’m currently looking at Tein coilovers and BC Racing coilovers but am open to suggestions about springs, etc.

- Harley

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Any thoughts on going with springs vs coilovers? Like I said before this drop is purely for aesthetics but I don’t mind doing it right the first time and just grabbing coilovers. Also, at what drop amount will I need a rear camber kit? I’m coming from a tacoma and on lifted trucks we change out upper control arms in the front to allow for better caster numbers for both tire fitment in the wheel wells and alignment numbers. Is the rear camber kit doing something similar? I’m currently looking at Tein coilovers and BC Racing coilovers but am open to suggestions about springs, etc.

- Harley
Springs are typically a one-and-done install, and can be arguable more complicated because you’d need a spring compressor for the fronts. Coilovers are a direct swap in of the whole unit, which is easier, with the benefit of being able to tune the height to your preference,

I love my Tein Flex Zs.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag

- Harley
Both do the same thing, but obviously the coilover is more adjustable and if you get a decent set, they will handle rougher bumps better which if you are tracking your car is something you want.

But it can be a double edged sword, coils that are too stiff will ride like shit if you drive your car every day, coils that are too soft arent that much better you need to find a happy medium for what you drive the car for most of the time.

The nuance with this car is, if you get coilovers you need an error canceller module since we have different ride modes (another $300~ on top) and you will lose the option to adjust your ride modes unless you get the RSR coilovers, which are $3k.

There is no magic drop amount to where you would need a rear camber kit. You dont even really need one unless you are that anal about your camber. Ive been dropped for over 20k miles now with close to -3 degrees of camber in the rear and I have no abnormal wearing. I rotate my tires a decent amount, and my toe is zeroed.

If youre going the spring route, you really cant go wrong with any of the choices available. Swifts are the most popular and the drop is an inch like many other springs.

If youre going the coilover route, I would go with Teins unless you want to drop the extra penny on HKS, KW, etc.