Noob Amp Wiring Questions

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
I'm getting all my stuff together for a sub/amp install in my 2017 ext sedan. I need some info on where people are connecting there ground cable in the trunk without drilling a new hole? Also how are people tapping remote power for the amp/lc2i I wanted to hard wire both units.
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I believe I found a spot behind the left side carpet in the trunk that had a bolt hole already.I just sanded it down and connected it.

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
I'm getting all my stuff together for a sub/amp install in my 2017 ext sedan. I need some info on where people are connecting there ground cable in the trunk without drilling a new hole? Also how are people tapping remote power for the amp/lc2i I wanted to hard wire both units.
When you take out rear seat (very simple to do) i grounded mine to the bolt that holds down the seatbelt towards the middle, just make sure to sand down the spot youre attaching it to.
As for the remote, the LC2i has built in signal sensing which turns it on when your speakers get power (when you turn on car) then from there the LC2i also has remote out you can send to your amp/amps. this is the method im currently using and i have 2 amps connected

OP
OP
TranceFC1

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
When you take out rear seat (very simple to do) i grounded mine to the bolt that holds down the seatbelt towards the middle, just make sure to sand down the spot youre attaching it to.
As for the remote, the LC2i has built in signal sensing which turns it on when your speakers get power (when you turn on car) then from there the LC2i also has remote out you can send to your amp/amps. this is the method im currently using and i have 2 amps connected
Does that feature to turn on the lc2i with the speaker inputs reliable? I read about it but heard people had issues. If I wire it that way it would save me some wire and money.

Royalz_2o9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Touring Sedan
Country flag
Does that feature to turn on the lc2i with the speaker inputs reliable? I read about it but heard people had issues. If I wire it that way it would save me some wire and money.
havent had issues with mine and its been hooked up that way for a few months now? what issues were they running into?

OP
OP
TranceFC1

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
havent had issues with mine and its been hooked up that way for a few months now? what issues were they running into?
I just read that there lc2i wouldn't turn on sometimes with that configuration so they had to restart the car to get it to turn on.

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
I just used high level inputs and set it to turn on when it receives signal from the speaker wires. And grounded where the spare tire bolt is since my si doesnt have a spare anyway.

OP
OP
TranceFC1

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Got another question for you guys. I'm doing the install this weekend and getting everything put together. The amp I'm using is this one https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575R500X1D/Rockford-Fosgate-R500X1D.html?tp=35834
It calls for a 8 gauge wire with a 50 amp fuse. I'm gonna be running a 4 gauge power wire and I bought some 50 amp fuses.
Would running the 50 amp fuse be OK the kit I got comes with a 100 amp fuse

OP
OP
TranceFC1

TranceFC1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual
Country flag
Also would running off the rear deck speakers be OK for the lc2i. I have a ext without the sub

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Hard to visualize all this without a diagram.

In general... using a thicker (lower gauge) wire where all the other variables remain the same is okay. But be careful that there's not anything between the power source and the destination (like a wiring block or splice) that isn't rated for the same amperage. The fuse simply protects the wiring from overheating, melting, and catching on fire.

I'd use the same size wire for the ground. Others may disagree.

Do yourself a favor and take the inline fuse out until the very last step. They tend to blow accidentally during installation.

Good luck.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Also would running off the rear deck speakers be OK for the lc2i. I have a ext without the sub
I may be missing something... But I don't think that you need the lc2i.

If you use the rear speaker wires as the source; they should be able to directly connect to the high level speaker inputs of the amp. You could then use the fader to change the mix of your front speakers and the sub. But, yes... my understanding is that folks use the rear deck speaker wires connected directly for the source.

If you're planning to tap off of the rear speakers (and still have the deck speakers functioning); you may need to check the impedance of the total setup to avoid a mismatch with the head unit's amp.
Sponsored