the_michman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1.5 T Sport Hatch
Country flag
Are the front calipers in the US models are different than the EU models? I order the Hawk 5.0 pads for front and rear, the rear fit but the front does not fit, it is different in the sitting end parts, on my car the front pads sides have like an axe/hammer look when on the hawk front pads the from is just a square.

see the attached pictures.

Honda Civic 10th gen Non SI front caliper US/EU difference 20230428_154511

Honda Civic 10th gen Non SI front caliper US/EU difference 20230428_153008

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes European 10th gens have ATE calipers front and rear and different size discs.You can find all the info in the brake info thread. Link to thread
If you want aftermarket sports pads for your European 10thgen your only option is EBC green or yellow stuff.

OP
OP

the_michman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1.5 T Sport Hatch
Country flag
Thank you for the link it is very informative, I see the US and EU front caliper is the same:
2017-2020 EDM Honda Civic Sedan/Hatch: Front Caliper ATE 57mm single piston ,Rear caliper ATE 38mm
2016-2020 Honda Civic Hatch/sedan/coupe : Front caliper =Akebono 57mm single piston
Front caliper Bolt spacing on all calipers (including type R) is 140mm Center-Center
So if I switch the front caliper to the US model calipers the pads will fit and also the EBC red stuff will become an option ?

Also what is the logic for creating different calipers for same car ?

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you for the link it is very informative, I see the US and EU front caliper is the same:
2017-2020 EDM Honda Civic Sedan/Hatch: Front Caliper ATE 57mm single piston ,Rear caliper ATE 38mm
2016-2020 Honda Civic Hatch/sedan/coupe : Front caliper =Akebono 57mm single piston
Front caliper Bolt spacing on all calipers (including type R) is 140mm Center-Center
So if I switch the front caliper to the US model calipers the pads will fit and also the EBC red stuff will become an option ?

Also what is the logic for creating different calipers for same car ?
The US caliper will fit the holes BUT they use a smaller disc.So the offset will be different and it will not fit.

European uses 293x25mm front discs with ATE calipers ,US normal hatch/sedan/coupe uses 282x23mm Front Discs .Swapping SI front calipers and discs would be better IF you can get SI discs and pads in europe.

The logic behind this is they use what is available in the region where cars are made. The European brakes are also used on the previous generation civic tourer. European civics are made in turkey and England. The US models are made in the USA so they use what is available in the USA.
Most honda's used to be made in Japan or the USA and back then most parts where the same around the world.
Now they are made everywhere.

OP
OP

the_michman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1.5 T Sport Hatch
Country flag
The US caliper will fit the holes BUT they use a smaller disc.So the offset will be different and it will not fit.

European uses 293x25mm front discs with ATE calipers ,US normal hatch/sedan/coupe uses 282x23mm Front Discs .Swapping SI front calipers and discs would be better IF you can get SI discs and pads in europe.

The logic behind this is they use what is available in the region where cars are made. The European brakes are also used on the previous generation civic tourer. European civics are made in turkey and England. The US models are made in the USA so they use what is available in the USA.
Most honda's used to be made in Japan or the USA and back then most parts where the same around the world.
Now they are made everywhere.
Thank you for the info, will the SI 312mm disk will fit the standard 17 inch wheels ?
Sponsored