Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2017 GTI SE DSG
Country flag
Messing with iPhone Comic Book filter.

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 47EF1421-A58A-41D0-93DB-835612D315E3
Sponsored

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
dude nice car and i love the wheel and tire set up. if you dont mind me asking how much was it for the wheels and tires all together? are you on stock suspension and if so any rubbing?

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
dude nice car and i love the wheel and tire set up. if you dont mind me asking how much was it for the wheels and tires all together? are you on stock suspension and if so any rubbing?
~$4k, yes stock suspension. Does not rub at all, and no way will a 255/40/18 ever rub on a +45 9.5” wheel. Lower offsets it will get more risky. Lower than +40 with these tires risks fender work in the rear with every millimeter reduced.

I think this is these are ultimate wheel & tire size sizes for a stock suspension FK8 if you want no rubbing and no fender work.

CHiNG818

First Name
Marco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
~$4k, yes stock suspension. Does not rub at all, and no way will a 255/40/18 ever rub on a +45 9.5” wheel. Lower offsets it will get more risky. Lower than +40 with these tires risks fender work in the rear with every millimeter reduced.

I think this is these are ultimate wheel & tire size sizes for a stock suspension FK8 if you want no rubbing and no fender work.
Awesome thanks!

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Swapped to a smaller and cleaner amplifier with more power on the front stage. Been tuning the sound mix a little more this evening.

Focal FD 4.350 amplifier. 58x2 front, 200x1 rear bridged to the sub.

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project F7465D7B-4B82-4342-9BE5-0AE8473F10B3

Honda Civic 10th gen Noize Type R simple project 9D3D31E5-588D-4C44-A888-7CD6A89D34F5

Speakers still Focal Access 165AS components at front doors and sails. Sub is JL 8W3v3 with spacer in stock enclosure. JL Fix86 processor off stock amplifier pre FD 4.350.

Sounds fantastic.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
4 1/2 months in, here's my current impressions:

-I LOVE having a car that's stock mechanically. I've had so many turbo fours in the past, and I tuned and modified them all. I've said it before, but the FK8 is so well sorted stock, and the fact its FWD, there's no real reason for me to modify it. But the reason it's so great is there's no drama: No monitoring knock, no flat spots in the tune, no danger from a bad tank of 93 on the stock ROM, no adjusting this and that, no trying to slip through emissions, no catless stench, no rough ride from springs or coilovers, and best of all- no worry about having a voided warranty!

-Handling is exceptional for a FWD. OEM limited slip differential is so good, turn in and corner entry is great.

There are a few things I don't like:
-The head unit. Having the HVAC controls tethered to the main screen is MADDENING and pisses me off all the time. It's horribly slow, and if I could at least have fan speed control, it would make it better. That panel is more than large enough for Honda to integrate everything right there. Why in the crap haven't they changed this junk? Surely customers despise it? I get the 2019 has made strides with fan speed control and a volume knob, but it seems they could do more.

-The fact the rev limiter is before indicated redline is so stupid. WTF, Honda? Make the redline at 6700, and nobody will hit the limiter. I've gotten used to it, but it's still mind bogglingly dumb. It cuts at 68xx and makes good power all the way till it hits.

-The TPMS programming is crap. VW uses this same style of system and it's not nearly as faulty as this. I have had at least 8 TPMS lights in my short ownership, and as of the last three times done the 3 time reset for hard reset.

-I wish it had a real mechanical ebrake. The electrical one is no fun and makes changing the rear pads a pain, plus ensures a goofy and ugly style of rear caliper that doesn't match those sexy front ones.

-Shape of the front seats a little weird. I feel like it has an odd contour in the middle and makes you recline more than you want, so you have to set the seatback upright a little unnaturally. It's uncomfortable on my lower back on longer journeys.

But those aren't deal breakers, and I really like the car very much.

Thanks for reading.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Haven't updated this thread in awhile.

Made some changes, though.

Audio:
I needed a more powerful amplifier to really run everything. Got a JL 4 channel and removed the small and lightweight Focal.

Power:
Intercooler- I've always liked Perrin since Evo days. They're a name I know and trust for results and quality. Their Intercooler research and development thread sold me. So I picked up their IC on a great Black Friday deal, and couldn't be happier with it. Pretty easy install. Sustains power by keeping post turbo inlet temps in check, and looks great.

Tuning- I grabbed a JB4, but after looking at it, I knew it wasn't the system for me. The main reason for that was that even though Burger has excellent customer service and it's likely an undetectable solution, there wasn't enough end user adjustability for tuning for me. They were gracious and easy to work with, and allowed me to do a return.
Once Hondata did the instant jailbreak, I jumped on that. With the seamless traction control, Hondata was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Hands down the best modification so far.

Exhaust- There was a vendor around Christmas that had a smoking deal on the Perrin resonated exhaust, so I grabbed one of those as well. It has a front pipe, center resonator, and a helmholtz resonator off the main muffler. It's a full 3" system, and isn't too loud.

It looks like the only thing left to do would be a downpipe, as intake gains are dubious at best. But I don't really want to go catless, and doing the work for it to be high flow catted doesn't seem really worth it either. Right now, the car makes good power and doesn't stink, so I think this is the best place to stop for now.

I don't want to do suspension. I have some places where I need the stock ground clearance to enter, and I don't want to hasten wear on the shocks with somthing that will slam the car like Swifts. I think the Spoon springs look nice, but I would like to keep a linear spring like stock, as I'm not a fan of the feel inconsistencies of progressive springs as you increase cornering. I also don't want to hinder the great factory ride.

Since the fueling system is cost prohibitive to modify, the engine doesn't rev very deeply, and the turbo is small, I've run out of ideas to modify further.

It's a great, reliable daily driver, and I have no oil leaks or gear grinds of any kind. I treat it nicely most of the time, and am averaging close to 27mpg, even post tune.

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I've been looking for a build thread exactly like this. Essentially OEM+. Really love what you've done with the car so far. I don't have a FK8 yet (currently in an FA5), but I'm planning on getting one. I remember seeing one up close at a dealership and thinking that it looked decently low in stock form. Some angles of yours with the TEs make it look low enough, while others make it look a little higher, like the rear quarter angle. Are you satisfied with stock height? I'm fairly confident that I'm at the stage in my life where I'm ok not really lowering and heavily-modifying my ride.

OP
OP
Noize

Noize

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I've been looking for a build thread exactly like this. Essentially OEM+. Really love what you've done with the car so far. I don't have a FK8 yet (currently in an FA5), but I'm planning on getting one. I remember seeing one up close at a dealership and thinking that it looked decently low in stock form. Some angles of yours with the TEs make it look low enough, while others make it look a little higher, like the rear quarter angle. Are you satisfied with stock height? I'm fairly confident that I'm at the stage in my life where I'm ok not really lowering and heavily-modifying my ride.
Really happy with the height. I hate lowering cars, even moreso now that I've gotten older. 255/40/18 will help with the visual height appearance. 265/40/18 will show even less gap.

samji

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR, 1996 Accord V6 EX-L
Country flag
Hm I thought you weren't planning on modifying the powertrain? I thought once you go Hondata, there's no way to hide that when you're trying to get warranty work done at the dealer?
Sponsored