Noise When Decelerating

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I think I noticed this yesterday after installing my V2 for the first time and flashing the Phearable Stage 1.5, but today driving around the city made it much more obvious. Every time I'm decelerating and get below 10mph (in neutral) I hear this faint whine/electronic-sound increasing in pitch for about 2 seconds. I have no idea if the KTuner or the tune itself is the cause, but I'm certain I never heard it before tuning the car. Not that concerned at the moment that it means anything is wrong, but is this a commonly-known sound after tuning? If so, anyone know the source? From what I can tell from the V2 screen everything seems to be running fine.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Drake

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Okay, so now I'm worried this is not a normal sound. I just went over to an empty parking lot to capture this spooky phenomenon. I'm glad my phone was able to pick it up, since it's fairly faint to my ears. Turn your volume up as I get <10mph.
I'm pretty certain now it has something to do with the @phearable tune, as I returned to factory for the drive home and the noise instantly went away. Any guesses?

Attachments

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Okay, so now I'm worried this is not a normal sound. I just went over to an empty parking lot to capture this spooky phenomenon. I'm glad my phone was able to pick it up, since it's fairly faint to my ears. Turn your volume up as I get <10mph.
I'm pretty certain now it has something to do with the @phearable tune, as I returned to factory for the drive home and the noise instantly went away. Any guesses?
I can't really hear the sound your trying to describe in the video.
We nor any of our testers experienced any abnormal sounds under 10 mph with our tune.

I am going to guess it's a coincidence the sound your describing went away once flashing back to stock.

Try uploading one of the ktuner starter stage 2 calibrations and see if the sound comes back.
If it doesnt then re-flash phearable stage 1.5 and see if it comes back.
Conduct your driving/testing on the same road with the same exact vehicle conditions (windows up, a/c on or off, headlights on or off etc.)

OP
OP
Drake

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Here's my best attempt at enhancing the sound. It starts right at 7mph, but unfortunately I think only hearing it in-person can do it justice. I'll try the basemaps tonight and see if I hear this again. Are those pre-loaded on the KTuner or do I need to upload them from my laptop like I did with the Phearable tune?

Attachments

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Here's my best attempt at enhancing the sound. It starts right at 7mph, but unfortunately I think only hearing it in-person can do it justice. I'll try the basemaps tonight and see if I hear this again. Are those pre-loaded on the KTuner or do I need to upload them from my laptop like I did with the Phearable tune?
I still don't hear anything concerning.

You will need to upload the ktuner basemap from the ktuner software by clicking file then clicking new tune then selecting one like the starter 23 file.

You will also want to click on Main Parameters and click on quick enables and click the disable revhang check box so you can have an accurate comparison as the stage 1.5 tune from phearable has revhang disabled.

OP
OP
Drake

Drake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So this is not specific to the phearable tunes, because it also appeared with the dual basemap 3. I've attached a video example of that as proof. I flashed back to the phearable as well and the sound was still there, and lastly I flashed back to factory for the drive home and no more sound. The sound itself is not inherently concerning, it's just something that's consistently there which wasn't before. My hope was that everyone would say, "oh yeah we all get that it's just a normal quirk of tuning, nothing to worry about", but at the moment it seems I might be the only one experiencing this.
This may remain an unsolved mystery, as I don't know what more I can add to my case. However, I will say something I noticed which may or may not be relevant; it seems rpm-based (instead of speed) as for this recording I was able to come to a complete stop before the sound appeared. As you can see in these videos, while tuned my rpms stick around 750 when coasting/idle, but on the factory tune (no sound present) the rpms stick much closer to 1000 for longer when coming to a stop. Maybe it has something to do with this? No idea.
Sponsored

Attachments