@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport (CVT)
Country flag
Sometimes when I shift from P to R or N to D this happens. What is this? CVT. Another member had this sound after 500 miles and techs said it was “normal”.
Sponsored

Attachments

Nemesai285

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sedan
Country flag
That grind sounds just like pulling a standard handbrake. I haven't noticed my cvt ever making that noise. Check the cable for bindings and grease connectors if you can, otherwise might be more internal, just an idea.

OP
OP
@that_1redcivic

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That grind sounds just like pulling a standard handbrake. I haven't noticed my cvt ever making that noise. Check the cable for bindings and grease connectors if you can, otherwise might be more internal, just an idea.
I don't have a handbrake.... HA. Also only happens when I change gear

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
He meant that it sounded like a cable/spring operation, like a handbrake. I HATE it when they say ‘normal’, when they mean, “If it hasn’t broken yet, it’s probably fine.” Mine doesn’t sound like that, either.

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
Well one thing that happens in those situations, if I understand correctly, is that the powertrain 'loads up'. Power/torque is being applied to the CVT where it previously wasn't when in P or N.

The engine can shift a bit and everything connected to it (especially aftermarket intakes and exhausts) can make noise as they adjust. That's kinda' what it sounds like to my ear.

I hear more of this when the engine is idling cold (and is at a higher RPM) than I do when it's warmed up.

OP
OP
@that_1redcivic

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well one thing that happens in those situations, if I understand correctly, is that the powertrain 'loads up'. Power/torque is being applied to the CVT where it previously wasn't when in P or N.

The engine can shift a bit and everything connected to it (especially aftermarket intakes and exhausts) can make noise as they adjust. That's kinda' what it sounds like to my ear.

I hear more of this when the engine is idling cold (and is at a higher RPM) than I do when it's warmed up.
I do agree that it is most likely something rubbing and vibrating when the engine / transmission is moving when I shift when its cold because I had someone look when I shift and the engine and trans all kind of moves when I do (obviously). I am just concerned because of the sound does sound like it is coming from the transmission. Im just a paranoid person since Im tuned with a CVT haha. But I do find it very interesting that others have had the same noise even after 500 miles and no modifications, I am also leaning on it possibly being the CVT Throttle Body as this was a common complaint on start-up of a "grinding, whirring noise" that was never really corrected. Thats why I wonder if that one member who said "tech said its normal" as in its broken but there's no fix.

OP
OP
@that_1redcivic

@that_1redcivic

First Name
Milly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I believe our CVTs actually have an unusual clutch between the engine and the transmission. Maybe that's what you're hearing engage?

I found this as well. Check it.

The Honda CVT uses a start clutch in place of a torque converter. The start clutch is located between the output secondary pulley and the differential. This means that the forward clutch and the reverse clutch are not pulsed on and off. When they apply, they stay applied.
Sponsored