Noise from rear wheels, rotors

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
So, I was coming off the throttle coasting home and noticed an intermittent chirping/squeaking sound.

Here is the drivers side rear tire with the car
jacked up. It makes more of a scratching sound.

I looked for a stuck pebble or debris. Didn’t find any, and that would be a more constant sound than I’m hearing. Cleaned things up, pushed the heat shields back a bit, but no improvement. Searched the forum and closest similarity is this one:

Horrendous rhythmic chirping noise | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

Took it to a meineke, they spun it, said the rotor was warped, that it will take care of its self over time and the noise is only bothering me. Sounds reasonable to me. What the heck do I know, I’m just getting started with all this.
The car is a 2020, has seen one good track weekend and has around 3000 miles on it. The problem is worse on the drivers side but is on BOTH sides! No sound from the front.
So here are the questions: is this a problem I ride out? Did I screw my rotors on my track weekend (didn’t use the parking brake at the track; had a one millisecond oops when I turned it on after session number 2 day 1 and quickly turned it off)? Are they defective or is this an issue that I need to go to the Honda dealership? Basically what are your thoughts? Thanks

Last edited:

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Same thing happens to me after I run the car really hard (including some braking). First time I heard it I had about 700 miles so I was like cmon, already some issue. Checked under the car at a light for something scraping under the car and nothing. Even now at around 3400, still get the sound when I run the car really hard after like 5-10 min. But only at low speeds. If it does end up just being a warped rotor let me know bc it's mildly concerning every once in a while.

Videone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 MX-5 GT PRHT, 2018 Mazda 6 Signature, 2016 Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, I was coming off the throttle coasting home and noticed an intermittent chirping/squeaking sound.

Here is the drivers side rear tire with the car
jacked up. It makes more of a scratching sound.

I looked for a stuck pebble or debris. Didn’t find any, and that would be a more constant sound than I’m hearing. Cleaned things up, pushed the heat shields back a bit, but no improvement. Searched the forum and closest similarity is this one:

Horrendous rhythmic chirping noise | 2016+ Honda Civic Forum (10th Gen) - Type R Forum, Si Forum - CivicX.com

Took it to a meineke, they spun it, said the rotor was warped, that it will take care of its self over time and the noise is only bothering me. Sounds reasonable to me. What the heck do I know, I’m just getting started with all this.
The car is a 2020, has seen one good track weekend and has around 3000 miles on it. The problem is worse on the drivers side but is on BOTH sides! No sound from the front.
So here are the questions: is this a problem I ride out? Did I screw my rotors on my track weekend (didn’t use the parking brake at the track; had a one millisecond oops when I turned it on after session number 2 day 1 and quickly turned it off)? Are they defective or is this an issue that I need to go to the Honda dealership? Basically what are your thoughts? Thanks
I had the same kind of noise on my 2016 coupe this spring. It only had around 12k miles on it, BUT the rear rotors had grooves in them. The dealer said it was because I didn't drive it enough (it's my winter ride). The brakes worked normally, but the noise was annoying. I had just passed a state inspection a few weeks before the noise started. I had them replace the rear rotors and because of the low miles they did it at half price...around $125. They also sanded down the pads a bit. It's been fine since.

Any grooves on your rotors? This image is not from my Civic, but looks pretty much the same.
Honda Civic 10th gen Noise from rear wheels, rotors rotors

OP
OP

EPSi2FKR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CBP Civic Type R, 2014 Lexus IS350
Country flag
No grooves in the rotors like that.

The dealer said it was because I didn't drive it enough (it's my winter ride). The brakes worked normally, but the noise was annoying.
Yeah, this is what I’m thinking. It makes a noise, there’s a little unevenness in the rotor surface but it’s not going to hurt anything. I read about and may even get “race break pads” to smooth it out quicker. Worse comes to worse and the car stars feeling/driving different, I’ll have to resurface or replace the rotors.
Sponsored